U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2009, 04:15 PM

21,338 posts, read 7,504,682 times

Advertisements

Took Brownie to the vet today to have the drain tube removed. I told her how upset I was she was sent home with no pain meds, especially since I'd inquired.

Sunday, she was still pretty miserable, so I bought children's Benadryl when I bought additional bandage items for her at CVS. At least it knocked her out, which I really think helped her. She slept 8 hours and then just lay with her head on her blankie for another hour. lol

Anywhoooo.... vet apologized and said the techs should have asked her. Personally, I think it was just a nasty, busy day for them as the vet should have put it on her chart along with the antibiotic she perscribed. Since it's nutso summertime here, they had almost a never ending string of emergencies that day.

The results from the removed mass haven't come back yet, but the vet told me the reason the incision was that large was because the mass went very, very deep. She said she not only got all the mass, she took a hunk of Brownie along with it, just to be sure. >horrified!< Now I know why she had suddenly had difficulty getting into the truck. The mass was interferring. Vet said she went after all of it because she's had times when benign tumors were on top of cancerous ones.

So... we wait for the results. Brownie is now on two 325mg aspirins a day. Going to the vets wiped her out. She's passed out now. Glad she's resting peacefully.

Thanks for the notes everyone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2009, 06:02 PM

19,814 posts, read 55,781,243 times
Understandable, I guess. Poor Brownie!

Old 07-20-2009, 06:09 PM

21,843 posts, read 23,073,284 times
I would've thought it would be on the chart also - pain meds seem obvious in that situation but nonetheless, it's over and done with. We'll keep positive thoughts going regarding the test results....Hang in there Brownie!

Old 07-20-2009, 06:38 PM

2,197 posts, read 6,709,221 times
OMG, that looks awful! My almost-12-year-old dog has a lipoma on his chest, and we had hoped to leave it alone, but it's finally gotten so big that it's affecting his movement, and we have to have it removed. After seeing those pictures, I have to admit, I'm rethinking it. The vet did tell me that when the mass seems to stop growing, it's usually growing inward, where it can get very deep and press against organs and bone. Sounds like that might have happened to Brownie and probably my dog, too.

I hope poor Brownie feels better and mends quickly. What a good, brave girl.

Old 07-20-2009, 07:42 PM

1,350 posts, read 3,613,193 times
My bichon just had a small but deep hyperplasia removed and had only two stitches. He had serious pain meds--for pain and inflammation. My vet's techs would have known not having the meds was unusual. Does your vet have a big turnover in techs? I too would have been disturbed. Hope all is much better now.

Old 07-20-2009, 08:12 PM

733 posts, read 1,719,718 times
Hope her recovery is quick.... She is lucky to have you advocating for her
It's amazing that people don't take more care. The vet should have made sure, and I know...she was busy, but this is what she is suppose to do. I'm glad you got everything worked out and your little one is home and doing well. Poor thing, surgery is no joke, and it must be even more difficult when the don't understand.....

Take care of yourself too

Old 07-21-2009, 09:16 AM

399 posts, read 1,960,526 times
Wow, there were at least 3 people that failed poor Brownie. The vet who writes up the chart, the tech that checks over everything and makes sure nothing is missed and fills prescriptions , and the receptionist that checks out the patient and hands over the prescriptions. Just wow. We had clients that refused prescriptions, but at least they were prescribed. Glad the vet at least blamed it on someone else (jk). Poor Brownie!

Old 09-28-2009, 02:25 PM

2 posts, read 21,196 times
Metacam is great for pain relief but need to get it from the vet..onyl other thing is that sometimes vets perfer patients to have some pain as it stops the dogs moving about..if they have loads of pain meds then they cant feel anything and can split the stitches..also No asprin after surgery..can cause bleeding and stomach problems..should only be used if patient has thick blood which need thinning

Old 10-18-2015, 08:16 AM

1 posts, read 556 times
Mine had the same thing last Tuesday and is now bleeding cause she's scratching with the cone. Should I bring her back in?

Old 10-20-2015, 12:18 PM

3,927 posts, read 2,558,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Primerodios View Post
Mine had the same thing last Tuesday and is now bleeding cause she's scratching with the cone. Should I bring her back in?
Is she still bleeding? Did the stitches get ripped out? Does it look infected? If the answer is yes to any of those she needs to go back to the vet.

If not, you also need to figure out a way to keep her from reaching the incision or it won't heal. Call the vet and tell them that she's able to reach it and see if they have any suggestions.

Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or