U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2009, 11:15 AM

7,253 posts, read 15,281,477 times

Advertisements

My dog has discoid lupus erythematosus aka "collie nose" - her nose is crusty and cracked, and she's losing pigmentation. It's not the systemic version (by blood test). We've been to 2 vets, and some of the advice is the same - oral antibiotic, cortisteroid/antibiotic salve, up the fatty acid supplement, keep her out of the sun.

The problem is that one bit of advice is contradictory - both say "use a sunscreen" but one vet says zinc oxide is toxic to dogs and the other says it's not. Most of the web sources I find either agree on the toxic bit or simply don't mention it.

Anyone have an authoritative source for this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2009, 12:22 PM

1,055 posts, read 4,298,708 times
There is sunscreen for dogs. I've never tried it so not sure how good it works. I think I saw some at pet smart.

Old 07-21-2009, 12:36 PM

90 posts, read 293,455 times
There is a possibility that my dog has discoid lupus too. I'm still waiting (hoping) that it is a scratch and heals on it's own. My question is ... how do you put medication/sunscreen on your dog's nose with out him licking it off??

Old 07-21-2009, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostNJax View Post
There is a possibility that my dog has discoid lupus too. I'm still waiting (hoping) that it is a scratch and heals on it's own. My question is ... how do you put medication/sunscreen on your dog's nose with out him licking it off??
The medication is easier - I just hold her nose and gently rub it in, maybe 5 minutes total, until I'm sure it's worked into the cracks.

If I could use a sunscreen with zinc oxide, it'd be harder to lick off.

Old 10-08-2010, 06:00 PM

Thought I'd update this, in case anyone else was searching on the terms
" discoid lupus " - after trying a boatload of natural and script-based meds, it comes down to:

1. Keeping her out of the sun from 11am-3pm (if we let her outside during those hours, we bring her in quickly)
2. 500mg niacinamide (not niacin) daily
3. Azathioprine (a script-only immune suppressant)
4. Tacrolimus ointment (another immune suppressant) - very expensive, usually comes in a tube so big as to be a multi-year supply for a dog's nose, will last us long past the expiry date.

The problem hasn't gone away, but it cleared up entirely in her ears and around her eyes

Azathioprine is teratogenic, so don't plan on ever breeding a dog given this. I don't like giving her such heavy-duty immune suppressants, but the milder treatments don't work (or don't work alone) and left untreated (or under-treated) the problem can work back into the sinuses, either as lesions or develop further into cancer, and at that point the suggestion is to put the dog down.

We did try sunscreen, but it stung and made her yelp and she'd go rub it off as fast as possible.

Old 10-08-2010, 09:10 PM

5,027 posts, read 13,373,187 times
The recent report indicates that most of the ones on the market are actually worse for you than sun exposure. Many sunscreen ingredients have been found to cross the skin barrier. Oxybenzone has been shown to accumulate in the body organs like the heart and lungs. They were found to cause cancer and lung issues (the spray kind) because people and especially kids tend to inhale them. I know they're doing away with the sprays very soon.

Common brands like Banana Boat are filled with chemicals that are absorbed by the skin, which poses a much bigger risk than a sunburn ever would. The general rule is the higher the SPF, the more toxins in the sunscreen. The only brand I can find in my area that's on the safe list are Mustela and Neutrogena sensitive skin. They contain no chemicals whatsoever and protects very well against the sun.

Here's a site where you can look up sunscreen to see how it rates. You don't want chemicals being absorbed by your dog's body because that can lead to more serious issue than sunburn.

EWG's 2010 Sunscreen Guide

And a link to the Hall of Shame. You'll think twice before slathering Banana Boat or Hawaiian tropic on yourself or your dog in the future!

Hall of Shame: What
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs