Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2009, 11:36 AM

21,353 posts, read 8,412,744 times

Advertisements

The test came back on Brownie's tumor and it was a benign infiltrative lipoma. I've researched this online and see there is a 50% recurrence rate with this type of tumor and in some instances now, they do radiation therapy with excellent results of eradication.

I would like to know of anyone else whose dog has had this type of tumor and what steps you took to deal with it... and how has/was the outcome?

Thanks!

Here is the original thread: http://www.city-data.com/forum/dogs/...-question.html

Last edited by CoastalMaine; 07-22-2009 at 12:11 PM.. Reason: Added link
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2009, 12:35 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,574,293 times
Oh so happy it was benign. Can't help you other than to say, good news!

Old 07-22-2009, 01:35 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,841,161 times
These are benign tumors - very rarely malignant. So unless it's obstructing the airway or affecting a vital organ, they don't even need to be removed.

Old 07-22-2009, 03:07 PM

21,353 posts, read 8,412,744 times
Actually, that's not entirely true. The problem with the infiltrative lipoma is they invade muscle mass. This is what happened to Brownie. She was becoming lame from general activities and I thought it was only due to normal aging process. There is a general recurrence of this within 239 days on average if there's no radiation.

I was hoping to hear from someone whose dog may have endured the same type or area of the lipoma. Further from that, what was their course of action and the outcome from said action.

Old 07-22-2009, 05:26 PM

2,197 posts, read 7,368,051 times
This is what my dog has. Well, actually he has a benign lipoma that we had aspirated and biopsied, and the vet is sure it's infiltrative by the way it has shifted and spread. It seems to be growing into his leg from his chest, so we're going to have to have it removed. I really, really hate to do this, since he's almost 12, with chronic kidney disease, but there seems to be little option if he is to retain movement and quality of life.

The vet did say lipomas usually grow back. We won't opt for radiation at his age and with his health problems (and my vet didn't recommend it). We'll just hope for the best and enjoy every day with him as the gift it is.

I hope Brownie is feeling better and healing well

Old 07-22-2009, 05:36 PM

5,088 posts, read 12,534,012 times
Glad to hear that Brownie's tumor is benign. I do not have experience with radiation for this but do have experience with it for cancer. Would it be a short course of radiation or a long course as you must weigh in the fact that dogs have to be put under for each radiation session which could be hard on an older dog and the fact that she may have to deal with radiation burns . Consider the expense too as Dash's palliative radiation ( nasal cancer) which was 5 days was quite expensive and the definitive radiation which would have been 20 days was even more. He did have IMRT which added a bit to the cost but also meant no side effects as it is a very focused beam striking the tumor from I think it was 7 different angles. With Jazz and her nerve sheath sarcoma I opted for no radiation because it was low grade and while it could come back the chances are low and she just would not done well with radiation as she HATES going to the vets and gets very stressed out.

I will say even by the 5th night Dash was not thrilled about going and wanted me to be with him but only the techs and vet could be with him. The look he gave me as they took him broke my heart but he survived it and that was the last night of it. I also had to drive 45 minutes to get to it but in his case it was worth all of it as it bought him some wonderful time.

Hope you can find some others that have dealt with the same thing Brownie has as the best advice comes from those that have been there. Jan

Old 09-28-2009, 03:20 PM

2 posts, read 23,534 times
Hi, just found your note..my Bernese has been diagnosed today with infiltive lipoma on her inner thigh muscle..vet has told me best to leave it..she is 8 1/2 and says it's too risky to try and operate as nerve damage could happen and then make the leg useless and because of age its not good to put her under such a long anastetic..also it would take months for her to recover from the operation and as the tumours generally grow slowly its best to leave it alone and treat future symptoms with pain relief..luckily for us our bernese has no symptoms I just noticed one thigh was twice the size of the other ....what has your vet said?

Read more: [URL]http://www.city-data.com/forum/dogs/711593-infiltrative-lipoma.html#ixzz0SR0V7nSW[/URL]

Old 02-11-2012, 07:22 AM

1 posts, read 19,021 times
Hi, I just saw your post about Brownie. What did you do and what was the result? My 7 year old golden retriever has a benign infiltrative lipoma in upper back leg. Debulked once about a year ago but grew back. When he went in a couple months ago to have it done again, the vet said it was all wrapped around a nerve and could not touch it for fear of damaging nerve. It is growing larger every day - does not seem to affect his mobility yet but we know it is only a matter of time.

Old 03-21-2012, 02:23 AM

1 posts, read 18,796 times
My little dog has just been diagnosed with an infiltratve lipoma. It is very large and under his shoulder muscle. I am not sure how operable it is yet but ther are sites that suggest a definitive cure is to amputate. This is upsetting but I am wondering if it might be better than surgery, radiation and the consequences to then have to face the inevitable recurrence. Any advice or opinions welcome.

Old 07-24-2012, 09:09 AM

1 posts, read 17,951 times
Hi

Im taking my dog to the vet tomorrow and im sure they are going to say she has infiltrative lipoma, her movment has gotten worse.

I went on holiday and left her in the care of a friend. My dog was only very slightly stiff lame when i left (i would never have left her otherwise, i thought shed slightly pulled a muscle out on her run).

Ive come back a week early (this is 4 weeks after leaving her) and she can barley walk!! Ive called the vet already who has said to come by tomorrow afternoon (nothing is really done as an emergancy here in France).

Ive googled it and everything is pointing to infiltrative lipoma. I have had a dog in the past with lipoma's, and it didnt shortten his life at all (he drove me nutty for a full 17 years). But I never had him opperated on.

What do I need to ask the vet please? Ive noticed here that you need to almost know the answeres as well as the questions, any help greatfully recieved.

Susi
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs