U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2009, 01:19 PM

214 posts, read 602,739 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWeavin View Post
too cute!! Is his name Linus??
His name is "Chase"......which, I imagine, is a pretty good name for a retriever.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2009, 11:09 PM

6,262 posts, read 17,331,090 times
LOL---very name appropriate and very cute!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hepcat View Post
His name is "Chase"......which, I imagine, is a pretty good name for a retriever.

Old 07-26-2009, 08:40 AM

13,773 posts, read 33,834,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honeycrisp View Post
Sounds very cute. You might want to get a couple of back-up ducks, just in case his falls apart - have seen owners posting in desperation if anyone has a certain toy and then they'll describe it but they usually can't rem. where they bought it - anyway just a thought -
Good advice. Harley loved one stuff toy and I bought several which lasted a while but then I went to get more and they no longer sell them What made it worse was I couldn't find anything that was even similar. I now go to Big Lots and if they have something that fits his need I buy all they have because they are only $1 or $2 each vs $5 or more at other stores.

Old 07-26-2009, 10:36 AM

356 posts, read 1,215,826 times
My Havanese, Kobi, loves his toys. If someone comes to visit, he runs around the house looking for a toy to bring to the visitor. He won't give it to them though. He just keeps holding it in his mouth.

Old 07-27-2009, 11:16 AM

13,294 posts, read 25,470,882 times
Some dogs are just like that. I had an adoptee, Powell, who loved all stuffed toys, and would sleep on one like a pillow. Unfortunately, one of my other dogs was very into tearing up stuff (unpacking pillows, plush toys) and I was always resewing Powell's toys with dental floss, until they got too small, then would get him another.
A dog I grew up with was completely attached to a plastic squeaky Popsicle for years. "Get the pop, Archie" and he'd run and find it. For years.
It's so cute.
None of my current gang likes toys, except Dodger. He likes to eat them.

Old 07-27-2009, 09:41 PM

218 posts, read 697,924 times
When I was young we got an English Setter who loved to destroy toys. If we left our stuffed toys on the ground, Ginger would shred and destuff them in record time! That is, until she found Pig. We'd had her several months before she found this particular stuffed toy and I have no idea what she loved about it but she absolutely adored this stuffed pig. She would carry it around and nuzzle it and lick it like it was her baby! She would play rough with other toys but not Pig. And she didn't want us to play with it either! She'd take Pig and hide under the furniture so we wouldn't take it away.

Old 08-05-2009, 02:33 AM

1 posts, read 3,177 times
Ya the same thing is happening with my dog its kinda wierd she is a poodle/chiwawa (dont know if i spelled that right but w/e) mix and she is just a lap dog she plays with toys but after that doesnt really care for them just leaves them be. But for some reason lately she found her old toy monkey that sqeaks and she carries it EVERYWHERE and for about a week she isent herself its wierd she will like follow you everywhere with her monkey and seriously just sit there and cry for no reason. I have tried to hide it but she just goes crazy. But, the thing that im seeing if differant from everyone elses problem is that she cries all the time when she never cried. ever. so can anyone tell me why she is crying all the time when she has the monkey in her mouth?

Old 08-05-2009, 04:48 PM

17,850 posts, read 20,177,009 times
My 2 year old mixed male mastiff (Buddy) also has a stuffed duck that he carries around everywhere. He has balls, bones, and other stuffed critters, but the squeeking mallard duck is his favorite. He won't let anyone near it, except me. Often he will bring me his duck and place it in my lap and look at me as if he found something that deserves reward.

My 6 year old mixed female Alaskan Husky (Blizzard) likes to steal Buddy's duck when he isn't looking, and then parade in front of him with the duck in her mouth, taunting him. This drives Buddy to distraction. He will follow Blizzard around (to her delight) for 10 to 15 minutes waiting for the opportunity to get his duck back, before becoming too frustrated. He takes out his frustration on his dog bed, either digging into his dog bed, or picking it up and carrying it to another part of the house. When Buddy no longer shows interest in following Blizzard around, Blizzard loses interest in the duck, and Buddy gets his duck back.

He takes his duck everywhere, outside, in the car when we go for a ride, and if he forgets it when he goes to bed and I ask him where his duck is, he gets up and finds it, bringing it to bed with him.

At first I thought it was because it was fuzzy, or had fur, that made it different from his other toys and he must be enjoying the different texture. But then I bought him more stuffed toys, a fuzzy ball, and a furry hedgehog. The hedgehog is about the same size as Buddy's duck, and has similar fur, but he does not seem the least bit interested in it. So I have no clue why he is so fond of that duck.

Old 08-07-2009, 11:42 AM

1,893 posts, read 3,513,481 times
My yellow lab, Bailey, has a stuffed animal fixation as well. Whenever it's walk time, he runs around the house to find a stuffed toy and has to bring it with him on the walk. It's kind of funny seeing a 105lb dog walking so proudly with a stuffed animal!

Unfortunately, with 3 dogs in the house, these toys just don't stand a chance during a game of tug!

Old 08-07-2009, 11:51 AM

1,244 posts, read 2,532,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunInHair View Post
At night, he restlessly carries the duck around, up and down stairs, as if he's trying to find the right place for the quacking critter. Is this his "security blanket"?
This is definitely what I think he is doing. My puggle use to get so much anxiety over hiding stuff when she wanted to leave it unattended for a bit she would cry. Endlessly laying it somewhere only to pick it up and more it behind/under something else while whimpering.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or