Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2009, 02:35 PM

1,581 posts, read 3,298,818 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1phwalls View Post
A few weeks ago I posted about a man's purebred boxer being put down within 30 minutes of it being brought to the humane society, even though it had a collar on and was obviously someone's pet. The director said he was put down so quickly because he was aggressive, and they had to use a pole to get him out of the crate and into the building. Check out the video of what really happened.

WVUA Main Player
I don't even want to watch it. Too disturbing. If that was my dog, I would go ballistic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2009, 09:23 AM

354 posts, read 1,281,771 times
There must be different policies across the country. You can not surrender an animal to the humane society that you do not own here in Phoenix and it is perfectly proper for them to make the call that an animal is not adobptable and immediately put it down. If a dog does not belong to you animal control will take it and hold it for a minimum number of days after which it may be adopted or destroyed.

Old 07-25-2009, 05:36 PM

21,353 posts, read 8,450,894 times
What a really sad story. Those people working and running that place ought to all lose their jobs and be banned from working at such facilities ever again as well as some type of compensation to the owner... although there's nothing adequate at least hurting them financially brings an extra layer of justice for the dog. What is wrong with people!!! What jerks!!!

Old 07-26-2009, 07:58 AM

7,380 posts, read 15,675,363 times
that is really terrible.

many people know this, but humane societies are entirely local (and not related to the humane society of the united states, which is a whole other thing), so if you have a local humane society please don't think that their policies reflect those of this place, or any other location.

our local humane society in pittsburgh is actually no kill now.

as for shelters not acting as pounds, i don't understand how that would work. would the pound just pass on dogs they thought might be adoptable to the shelter? why have 2 facilities when you only need one? pounds get funding to hold and euthanize animals too.

i don't really know what the difference would be between an open door shelter that euthanizes (actual) unadoptable animals after a reasonable holding period and a pound that does the same and passes the adoptable ones on to the shelter. there would still be animals dying and people would still be making the (sometimes wrong) call.

Old 07-26-2009, 10:51 AM

2,807 posts, read 7,585,764 times
I connected to the site on facebook, there is a petition you can sign if you want to...here's the link:
Login | Facebook

The creator of the FB site is a woman who has been through devastating loss as well...her bassethound "Babyboy" was shot and killed by a neighbor, and she is in the process of taking legal action against him...the above link also gives access to her story & pictures of her beautiful baby who was wrenched from her arms way too soon...

So many sick people in this world, no wonder I spend most of my time with animals!!!

Old 07-26-2009, 01:37 PM

5,245 posts, read 16,429,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honeycrisp View Post
I had read that they (at the humane soc) thought Boost was a pit bull - how, I don't know - he clearly had a short tail, beautiful brindle markings and was absolutely a boxer, not even a boxer/pit mix. Mistaking his breed could just be another lie in the story though and is no excuse as he was clearly someone's pet and well-behaved. The whole thing makes me sick and someone (single or plural) s/b held responsible.
Regardless of the true breed, even in shelters when a dog's breed can't be determined they frequently label them pits. That's why the statistics are so very off. They've had dogs that bit labeled as a pitbull, later to find it was a lab or boxer or some other breed that doesn't look like a pit at all. So when people start rattling off stats that pits bite more that other breeds, that's part of the reason the stats are so high.

Point is, if shelters can't determine a true breed for the dog, what chances are there that we'll get correct stats or that if someone calls and says they're missing their boxer and has one been turned in that they'll get the right answer?

1phwalls, I'm totally with you. No one that has a fear of any particular breed has any business working with dogs. Anyone involved in animal welfare knows it has nothing to do with a breed, but with the way it's raised. She needs to find another occupation. Perhaps prison guard. I could care less what she thinks of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs