U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2009, 01:12 PM

369 posts, read 1,740,355 times

Advertisements

Our dog came to us at 7 months.. The breeder had him on proplan. It worked out good at first, but then he quit eating it on us. He wouldn't eat all day, and end up puking due to starvation.

I got mad and returned all the proplan food we had bought. We switched him to Wellness "just for puppies". Switching cold turkey was a bad thing to do because it resulted in horrible diarrhea. We gave it 2 or so weeks, and when he didn't get any better, we decided to once again switch foods.

We went with raw food. He was eating stella and chewys frozen chicken patties. That fixed his diarrhea right away. It caused the opposite problem. He became constipated. We know that on the raw diet he'd poop less.. but he was squatting for like 2 minutes when finally a golf ball sized (or smaller) poop would finally pop out. Between the constipation, and the cost of this diet, we decided to go back to kibble.

I decided to work California Natural (chicken meal & rice) slowly into his diet. It seemed to be going just fine. He loved to eat the kibble, and his poops were looking normal for a change. After 2 weeks of working it into his diet, we went full blown California Natural. Now he has diarrhea again. He also has horrible gas.

I selected Cali. Natural because it seemed like a simple food and it seemed to cater to dogs with sensitive stomachs. It also doesn't have any of the nasty ingredients some of the lower quality foods have. It seemed like a perfect match.

Anyways, I'm wondering why he didn't get diarrhea when we switched him cold turkey to stella and chewys, but now he has diarrhea on this kibble...

Before you say "take him to the vet", be advised I'm taking him to the vet on tuesday to rule out anything really bad...

I'm just wondering where do I go from here.. Do I stick it out with this kibble, and pray he regulates... How much time should I give him to regulate.. If he doesn't get normal, where do I go from here?

I'm just sick of this, I want to find a food he likes and agrees with...

Thanks for any help!
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2009, 01:26 PM

16,222 posts, read 25,424,039 times
I wonder if your furry friend has the same problem as Artie had: grain intolerance.

After so many trials and errors, I put him on grainless food and his poop is much firmer. He also eats (when he's hungry, that is -- as opposed to boycotting his grainy food completely, even though he had to have been famished).

You said that you had your guy on Wellness for puppies. I don't know if that's grainless. Is it?

Artie gets Wellness Core mixed with Taste of the Wild venison/bison flavor. They are both grainless. I mix them just so that he has a variety.

I've also heard of dogs being intolerant of poultry. Maybe if you try a non-poultry AND grain-free food (such as TOTW venison/bison), you'll have better luck.

It's such a hit or miss thing, this finding food for our dogs. I'm sure your guy isn't feeling great because of what's disagreeing with his tummy, but they just can't tell us. So frustrating.

Old 07-26-2009, 01:35 PM

218 posts, read 680,639 times
You need to give it some time. Many dogs can't switch foods quickly (should transition slowly over 2 weeks at least and a month is better) and in my opinion, pups tend to be more sensitive than older dogs.

You can use a little canned pumpkin (not pumkin pie, you want the pure pumpkin without any spices added) with his meals to firm his stools up. You didn't mention how big he is but a couple tablespoons is generally a good place to start (if stools are still loose give a bit more with his next meal).

California Natural isn't a bad food but some dogs just don't do well on certain foods. The gas may go away in a few weeks once his body adjusts to the food but if not you may need to try yet another food. Adding a spoonful of plain yogurt to his kibble may help as it's supposed to help with digestion. My dog gets a little yogurt frozen in his kong as a treat.

You didn't say but I'm assuming you don't free feed but rather give your dog scheduled meals? Free feeding (having a bowl of food down all the time) can sometimes cause problems because overeating will also cause loose stools and some dogs will overeat if given the chance.

Finding the right food is not an easy task. I have a small dog who is just shy of one year and we've been most happy with Innova EVO red bites to date though his stools were loose the first couple of weeks but firmed up fine with pumpkin. I rotate every bag of food and so far we've had Eukanuba (from breeder and won't use again), Chicken Soup for the Puppy Lover's Soul (great value food but decided to go grain free), EVO (loved it) and Taste of the Wild Wetlands formula (very happy with it and will keep it in my rotation). I was excited to see a store is carrying Orijen locally so I'm going to rotate to that next.

I would love to feed raw but it just doesn't fit our lifestyle right now. I do supplment his kibble with raw meaty bones once a week or so which he loves and it helps keep his teeth in good shape.

Old 07-26-2009, 04:05 PM

1,055 posts, read 4,159,934 times
Everytime you switch you need to give the dog time to adjust to the food. I always give them about a month on the new food to see how it's working.

Good luck. Hope you find the right food.

Old 07-26-2009, 04:43 PM

13,773 posts, read 33,001,155 times
Plain Yogurt works for gas.. I had one dog who has gas really bad I give her yogurt. I also use Pumpkin for one of my dogs who needs more fiber.

You can check out California Natural here
Dog Food Reviews - California Natural Herring & Sweet Potato Adult - Powered by ReviewPost

It appears it is mainly herring.

Old 07-26-2009, 04:51 PM

557 posts, read 2,263,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
I wonder if your furry friend has the same problem as Artie had: grain intolerance.

After so many trials and errors, I put him on grainless food and his poop is much firmer. He also eats (when he's hungry, that is -- as opposed to boycotting his grainy food completely, even though he had to have been famished).

You said that you had your guy on Wellness for puppies. I don't know if that's grainless. Is it?

Artie gets Wellness Core mixed with Taste of the Wild venison/bison flavor. They are both grainless. I mix them just so that he has a variety.

I've also heard of dogs being intolerant of poultry. Maybe if you try a non-poultry AND grain-free food (such as TOTW venison/bison), you'll have better luck.

It's such a hit or miss thing, this finding food for our dogs. I'm sure your guy isn't feeling great because of what's disagreeing with his tummy, but they just can't tell us. So frustrating.
I agree with this possibilty of intolerance to certain ingredients. When you switch foods, do you do this *gradually*? Very important. Mix in some of the new food with the old, gradually over several days until it's 100% the new food. Would definitely look into specially foods for food allergy prone dogs or a prescription food from the vet. You might also try switching to just plain, cooked white rice for a while to see if your dog's system calms down, then introduce the new food gradually.

Old 07-26-2009, 05:14 PM

4,948 posts, read 16,051,479 times
Boil hamburg, add boiled rice, or do baby food, with some hamburg, and rice! change dog food real slow!
Kids meds may work, check with the vet! Give real tiny portions also.
a few times a day. Water always, I am sure your dog will be ok! Do drain the fat from the hamburg,
and then mix the 2 together. However, keep them it a different plate, and then do the mix, and warm it up! Baby food works great also with the mix! Ask your vet first!

Old 07-26-2009, 06:17 PM

2,510 posts, read 3,109,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bench Warmer View Post
Our dog came to us at 7 months.. The breeder had him on proplan. It worked out good at first, but then he quit eating it on us. He wouldn't eat all day, and end up puking due to starvation.

I got mad and returned all the proplan food we had bought. We switched him to Wellness "just for puppies". Switching cold turkey was a bad thing to do because it resulted in horrible diarrhea. We gave it 2 or so weeks, and when he didn't get any better, we decided to once again switch foods.

We went with raw food. He was eating stella and chewys frozen chicken patties. That fixed his diarrhea right away. It caused the opposite problem. He became constipated. We know that on the raw diet he'd poop less.. but he was squatting for like 2 minutes when finally a golf ball sized (or smaller) poop would finally pop out. Between the constipation, and the cost of this diet, we decided to go back to kibble.

I decided to work California Natural (chicken meal & rice) slowly into his diet. It seemed to be going just fine. He loved to eat the kibble, and his poops were looking normal for a change. After 2 weeks of working it into his diet, we went full blown California Natural. Now he has diarrhea again. He also has horrible gas.

I selected Cali. Natural because it seemed like a simple food and it seemed to cater to dogs with sensitive stomachs. It also doesn't have any of the nasty ingredients some of the lower quality foods have. It seemed like a perfect match.

Anyways, I'm wondering why he didn't get diarrhea when we switched him cold turkey to stella and chewys, but now he has diarrhea on this kibble...

Before you say "take him to the vet", be advised I'm taking him to the vet on tuesday to rule out anything really bad...

I'm just wondering where do I go from here.. Do I stick it out with this kibble, and pray he regulates... How much time should I give him to regulate.. If he doesn't get normal, where do I go from here?

I'm just sick of this, I want to find a food he likes and agrees with...

Thanks for any help!
When my dog was sick scrambled eggs and oatmeal helped for starters. Prunina kibble for senstive systems with salmon and yogurt helped too.

Old 07-26-2009, 08:12 PM

2,806 posts, read 6,310,408 times
I second the suggestions for oatmeal, yogurt, and pumpkin...these have always worked for my little ones when they've had a bout of diarrhea.

Old 07-26-2009, 08:16 PM

4,948 posts, read 16,051,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan View Post
When my dog was sick scrambled eggs and oatmeal helped for starters. Prunina kibble for senstive systems with salmon and yogurt helped too.
I love that food! and cottage cheese! Yogurt neat! I did pick up more eggs, and sweet pea, or taz! Yes, I do cook for her! Then the baby food also
with rice and wait for her command? Well, only when ill, unless she can pay rent? So far, no, so iams is the food of today!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs