U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2009, 03:09 PM

219 posts, read 901,318 times

Advertisements

I've ruled out pugs because of their shedding; and English Bulldogs and Shar Pei's due to size, since I rent.

I am trying to decide between a Boston Terrier and French Bulldog, and shedding is a huge issue for me.

Does anyone have any insight on the shedding of Boston Terriers and French Bulldogs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2009, 03:35 PM

1,055 posts, read 4,298,708 times
I'm pretty sure they will both shed. The trick is to feed them a good quality food and brushing a few times a week will keep the shedding down. I don't know of any short coat dog that doesn't shed.

Old 07-26-2009, 03:54 PM

7,079 posts, read 34,459,029 times
These are VERY different breeds of dog. Yes, both are brachycephalic, but Bostons tend to be VERY busy, perpetual motion machines, while Frenchies are much lower energy. Both will need A/C in the summer months due to their compromised breathing (like pugs and bulldogs). The other little snippet is that it is VERY hard to find healthy French bulldogs. There is a huge ring of Eastern European puppy mills (believe it or not) that ships dogs via cargo to the US. And these become pet shop dogs.

Please consider going the rescue route. And NEVER, EVER buy from a pet shop or backyard breeder.

But you should consider the differences of these two breeds. They're very distinct!

Old 07-26-2009, 04:02 PM

1,603 posts, read 3,145,939 times
I've had both. We have a frenchie now. Both shed a lot and the short hairs get stuck in everything. My frenchie can also clear the house with one fart! If you are against shedding look at a poodle.

Old 07-26-2009, 04:56 PM

4,628 posts, read 9,252,036 times
I am a neat-freak too, although I am assuming that lack of dog hair floating into your food is one of the issues you have with dogs that shed.

Like you, I went looking for a non-shedding dog when I first got a dog as an adult. What I got - and fell desperately in love with - was a virtual shedding machine. I've been saving his hair for about two years and have enough to knit a small sweater. (Truthfully, has anyone ever spun and woven their dog's hair into something?)

Are you sure you want a dog??? Just kidding, but you will lose the war with shedding. You will succumb!

Per the above post, I was going to suggest a poodle. There're plenty of lonely dogs in shelters who need homes. I guarantee that you will fall in love!

PS: If you want a specific breed, some shelters have lists of people to call when that breed dog comes in. Our shelter here did that. Not sure if it still does.

Old 07-26-2009, 04:58 PM

4,628 posts, read 9,252,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viralmd View Post
There is a huge ring of Eastern European puppy mills (believe it or not) that ships dogs via cargo to the US. And these become pet shop dogs.
Disgusting.

Old 07-26-2009, 06:14 PM

19,814 posts, read 55,771,747 times
Yes, people do sping dog and cat hair into yarn then knit with it. Someone made purses with their pet's hair.

Old 07-26-2009, 06:48 PM
ZSP

1,568 posts, read 4,156,783 times
I have two Bostons and one Frenchie- my Bostons rarely shed and the Frenchie does, but not much. I also have a Lab - now, that's a shedder.

Per Viralmd's post - she is spot on with all the info except.....my Frenchie pup (9 months) is just as "busy" and high energy as my Bostons.

Good luck finding a dog to fit your lifestyle and...save a life...adopt a pet. If you can't find what you're looking for at your local shelter/humane society or local rescues, check out Petfinder.com - you'll be surprised there are so many wonderful pets needing forever homes.

Old 07-27-2009, 05:33 AM

7,079 posts, read 34,459,029 times
Friench bulldog puppies, are, like all puppies, busy, busy, busy. They do settle down, however. Bostons never seem to.

Old 07-28-2009, 12:37 PM

465 posts, read 951,271 times
I have a Boston and they do shed. The hair is small and you won't see it like a long haired dog but it's there. They do have high energy but if you are active and like to walk that will work. Otherwise the Frenchie would be better. I found out a lot of good information for both via Animal Planet Dogs 101. See the videos below for each.

YouTube - Boston Terrier

YouTube - Dogs 101-French Bulldog

hope that helps!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs