U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2009, 08:10 PM

1,121 posts, read 3,187,843 times

Advertisements

You didn't mention the breed of your dog. 8 years is pretty old for some breeds. It could be that she is senile. I took in a couple of rescue cats from a friend who couldn't keep them 8 years ago. They were 16 and 17. My friends told me the older cat was senile. The older cat spent a lot of time staring into corners or at walls. After a few years, those symptons became less and less so I don't know if he was senile or traumatized. I did know that my friends husband was verbally abusive and I noticed that for years when there was a man/woman arguement on the TV both cats would hide. Perhaps that was the problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2009, 08:14 PM

3,593 posts, read 10,645,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmycat View Post
It was an instantaneous connection...as soon as I saw her little one-eyed face looking at me from that cage I knew I had to take her in. Once the doctor told me the story about her awful ex-owners it only reinforced my determination to give her the happy, loving life every animal deserves. Even though the 1st 8 years of her life were sad, at least her remaining years will be fun and full of love...I wish more people realized how great it feels to save an older dog...if every dog lover rescued just one, imagine how many could be happy instead of sitting there feeling lonely in a cold cage somewhere!
I agree and wish more people would consider older dogs. Our Bandit was around 6ish (no one really knows for sure) when we got him and we believe he was a puppy mill breeder. It was obvious that he wasn't used to a house, or grass, or love. Now at 14 I don't think I've ever known a more gentle, loving and NOBLE soul than he is. Thank you for taking your girl in. I truly believe it will come back to you in good ways a thousand fold!

Last edited by Va-Cat; 07-30-2009 at 08:18 PM.. Reason: change a thought

Old 02-01-2010, 08:10 PM

3,793 posts, read 3,443,731 times
I'm bumping this thread so I can share details about my OCD dog.
My 3-year-old terrier (female) displays the following symptoms:
-fixating on (and chasing) reflections and shadows on walls
-turning in circles before eating
-running back and forth from tree to tree in the yard
-trancing
For those unfamiliar with trancing... it's a rather odd behavior found in only a few breeds. With my dog, it happens when she walks beneath certain outdoor plants, such as tall ornamental grasses. Once underneath the plant, she will become virtually "frozen" in place, then slowly move an inch, and become frozen once again. The whole process usually lasts for a minute or so. Then sometimes she'll turn around and do the same thing a second time. Not sure what causes it, but I guess it has to do with the plant touching her back as she moves along. It's a strange sight!
Anyone else have a dog that exhibits these behaviors?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs