Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2009, 03:47 PM

4,334 posts, read 13,661,904 times

Advertisements

NO violent convicted felon should be associated with any professional sport. These sports are watched and admired by innocent children. These sport figures become idols and heroes. A guy like Vick who tortured animals over and over again should not be out of prison let alone in sports regardless of how good he was on the field. There is plenty of talent out there without reaching to the bottom of the barrel.

I've read some really disturbing comments, one being we care more for dogs than humans. The problem with animal abuse is that they are DEPENDENT on us for their quality of life, as is an elderly person, or a disabled person. People who can abuse those who cannot fight back are people who generally have no conscious, they can inflict pain and injury on the helpless and have no remorse. They are sociopaths. He doesn't deserve to have his "life" back, he needs to be kept away from society, but since that can't happen he should never be allowed to be in a position of adoration/role model.

I don't care if you are black, white or purple. If you commit a serious crime I don't want to see you on TV or in the media. It sends a negative message to our children and reinforces rewards for bad behavior. People have to understand that there are consequences for their actions and sometimes there just aren't second chances in your profession.

Old 07-30-2009, 04:04 PM

1,106 posts, read 2,954,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elamigo View Post
YOU took this personal. I am not preaching to you. I just expressed my views and opinions. You do not agree, fine. You do not buy him being remorseful, maybe you are right. I do not know as I stated. If you made up your mind, great. I also spend a lot of time volunteering in the community and I know what you are talking about. Did I ask you to justify yourself to me? No, and also I am glad you keep standing and expressing your views as you choose and you choose. There is nothing wrong with feeling emotional about issues, I do. I am a Court Appointed Special Advocate (CASA) on behalf of neglected and abused children, among many other volunteer causes as you do. I do feel it is important for everybody to get involved in the community. The way you reacted in a personal way with my message I am not sure I agree with you when you loose objectivity and let your emotions to the point that you read too much into what was written. You replied in a personal way as if I was talking to you. Was my message addressed as a reply to YOU? No.
You might not have mentioned my name specifically, but I took offense to what I thought were generalizations made to those of us on this thread that feel strongly about what Vick has done. I do my best to do what I can for causes I feel strongly for, which include humans as well as animals, and take pride in being a doer, not just a noisemaker. I have been down this road with another poster on a thread regarding putting limits on your pet's medical bills. I and other animal lovers were personally attacked in the thread with hateful comments that came out of left field (which I should have reported and will in the future) Regardless you're right, I jumped on you, and I do apologize. Getting to how much is enough for Mr Vick who got caught, my opinion is that he has not paid enough, that's just my opinion. For him to be allowed to go back into the public spotlight and possibly be able to make his millions again is sickening to me. It wasn't just a case of dog fighting, he was horribly cruel to those dogs. I truly hope that he does see that what he has done is barbaric, and changes. If that is the case, then great, some people do learn from their mistakes. Right now I just don't buy it. Time will tell.

Quote:
However, I thank you for you community envolvement. I am a Soldier and have served for the last 31 years. I know how it feels to receive those act of appreciations from those in the home front. It is a big morale booster. On behalf of my Soldiers I do thank you from the bottom of my heart.

You have a great day.
El Amigo

Thanks, and God bless you for serving our country. You are a hero.

Old 07-30-2009, 05:37 PM

459 posts, read 804,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back to NE View Post
Interesting lack of compassion from an owner of such a dangerous breed. Pit bulls have been bred to fight, it is in their nature to be aggressive. They are responsible for a ridiculous number of bites (and murders) of human beings and uncountable events against other dogs.
Many many generations of pit bulls bred to fight that they surely enjoy it... you could argue that Michael Vick gave them a chance to do what they love most. Just remember that if humans can be evil, animals can be too.

And btw, if a dog like yours ever seriously hurt my Chihauhua in a public place, I would choke the life out of the animal right in front of the owner. I would punish the 'deed' alright...

The funny thing is that your chihauhua is probaly the one lunging at other peoples dogs. IF your chihauhua attacked my dog I wouldn't take it out on your dog I would just spray so much mase in your face you wouldn't be able to see for 2 weeks. Since pit bulls love fighting so much you should lobby to make dog fighting legal in your state, why make it a felony if it's humane for the dogs who love the sport. Please I beg you to write an email to your state rep, and please post their responce to you on here so we can have a good laugh.

Old 07-30-2009, 05:45 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,344,316 times
Don't confuse me with other posters. I DO care more for my dogs than humans.

Old 07-30-2009, 06:41 PM

18,120 posts, read 11,756,270 times
We will stay on topic or I'm closing this thread.

Old 07-31-2009, 12:11 AM

6,025 posts, read 15,345,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainegirl View Post
Now back to the important conversation and back on topic : Blondie, thanks for posting the numbers to call. As I had stated in a response to another poster, I have received a reply from the NFL, but will definitely contact any team or company that plans on hiring him for anything. If he gets reinstated, then so be it. At least I did what I felt was right, which be a voice on behalf of animals that are abused. That's all we can do.
your "blah, blah, blah" response exudes maturity

1) I'm not a "sir" or a "mister" . I'd figured you pick up on that w/ all the digging you've done

2) I never accused you of being rude to anyone. my response was directed at Titan77 who called out two other posters by name in a rude way and one who apparently sent SeeBee a nasty comment. it was a general response regarding animals lovers who feel the need to send nasty anon comments to others that disagree w/ their viewpoint. I quoted you in the beginning of my response, but the "you" in the second paragraph was a general you (ie, directed at all) and not specifically directed at you, if that clears it up (didn't even know you were writing any letters). you accuse me of making assumptions, but you seem to be taking comments very personally on this thread when in fact, they aren't directed at you (though I suppose the quoting thing may have been confusing)

3) please let me know how emailing/ writing/calling to the NFL solves the overall issue of dog fighting in the USA. I'll wait. I'm still not sure what the NFL has to do w/ dog fighting at all, other than the fact that Vick is a football player. are you going to dig up the employees of every person convicted of dog fighting too? is anyone where demanding all the OTHER criminals on in the NFL get the boot (last I remembered, there were a few players that ended people's lives still tossing that ball for money)?

Vick was tried, convicted, and sentenced. I've moved on from him, hence why I didn't watch any news conference w/ him or see any of the interviews mentioned here. unless he slips up again, IMO, he's out of the picture and there's nothing more that can be done legally or that will help the overall issue of dogfighting (other than using his case as an example). whether or not he continues to play football means nothing to me. like many of the criminals in the NFL, he's no role model, and I've never seen him as such, so could give a damn if he continues playing or not. overall, as I've stated countless times before, as the law stands right now, he's done his time, so I see no real reason why he can't attempt to find work and won't be going out of my way to make sure he doesn't get reinstated. I sure as hell won't be buying any Vick jerseys, as won't many other people. even if he plays again, his rep has endured more damage than any legal sentence could have imposed. it's not as if he'll be living the good life again.

Last edited by eevee; 07-31-2009 at 01:27 AM.. Reason: sp, added stuff

Old 07-31-2009, 12:34 AM

6,025 posts, read 15,345,799 times
Quote:
YOU took this personal. I am not preaching to you. I just expressed my views and opinions. You do not agree, fine. You do not buy him being remorseful, maybe you are right. I do not know as I stated. If you made up your mind, great. I also spend a lot of time volunteering in the community and I know what you are talking about. Did I ask you to justify yourself to me? No, and also I am glad you keep standing and expressing your views as you choose and you choose. There is nothing wrong with feeling emotional about issues, I do. I am a Court Appointed Special Advocate (CASA) on behalf of neglected and abused children, among many other volunteer causes as you do. I do feel it is important for everybody to get involved in the community. I also agree he needed to pay for the consequences but how far do you want to go? The way you reacted in a personal way with my message I am not sure I agree with you when you loose objectivity and let your emotions to the point that you read too much into what was written. You replied in a personal way as if I was talking to you. Was my message addressed as a reply to YOU? No.

Now compare your reply to replies 34 and 35. They disagreed and had some good points to consider and I am glad they did.

However, I thank you for you community envolvement. I am a Soldier and have served for the last 31 years. I know how it feels to receive those act of appreciations from those in the home front. It is a big morale booster. On behalf of my Soldiers I do thank you from the bottom of my heart.

You have a great day.
El Amigo
I forgot to rep you for your other post as well. it IS a VERY emotional issue, that's for sure. it highlights a lot of things wrong in many aspects. going after one man isn't the answer, though it would make a lot of people feel better.

attitudes about dog fighting needs to be adjusted. I lived in areas where a dog's battle scars are almost akin to fancy jewelery in terms of the respect it'll gain you among your peers. kids as young as 10 and younger going to dog fights and cheering. there needs to stronger voices in the community against these fights since the folks there often don't trust or pay as much heed to people outside the community. programs like the one below are really a step in the right direction in reaching out to kids and changing their views of pit bulls and making sure they don't end up like future Vicks.

http://www.hsus.org/acf/fighting/dogfight/programs/ (broken link)

http://www.hsus.org/acf/news/sean_moore_profile_ada_052209.html (broken link) (*gasp* a reformed dog fighter!)

http://www.hsus.org/acf/fighting/dogfight/programs/pit_bull_training_team_0902.html (broken link)

Pit Bull Training Team Expands to Charlotte, Atlanta | The Humane Society of the United States (http://www.hsus.org/acf/news/pit_bull_training_team_atlanta_charlotte_031309.ht ml - broken link)

Last edited by eevee; 07-31-2009 at 12:52 AM.. Reason: added links

Old 07-31-2009, 03:19 AM

1,655 posts, read 3,398,261 times
What happens the next time Vick gets a fancy for killing...maybe he likes killin' kids now, who really knows...I'm sure then the NFL would be willing to take a stand against him. This kind of sicko usually starts with animals working his way up...he is one disturbed individual...and I hope he meets with some type of excruciatingly painful, torturous, agonizing suffering, worse than death in the near future...

Old 07-31-2009, 04:02 AM

2,175 posts, read 9,170,731 times
He should never be allowed to play in any professional sport again.
But in todays society, money, media attention, and names prevail.
People will pay to see him play again. The NFL knows this.
Scruples are cast aside. It's all about money and doing what is decent is not in the picture.
It doesn't matter what anyone does.
As long as they get their name mentioned frequently in the media someone or some orginazation will give them a chance to bolster the profits.
Morality and being a decent human being is on the back burner with no flame under it.
Only money counts. No matter what or who you support to get it.
Money talks.
Principles has lost its voice and can barely whisper enough to be heard. And it's a shame.

Old 07-31-2009, 06:00 AM

13,404 posts, read 28,729,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
I forgot to rep you for your other post as well. it IS a VERY emotional issue, that's for sure. it highlights a lot of things wrong in many aspects. going after one man isn't the answer, though it would make a lot of people feel better.

attitudes about dog fighting needs to be adjusted. I lived in areas where a dog's battle scars are almost akin to fancy jewelery in terms of the respect it'll gain you among your peers. kids as young as 10 and younger going to dog fights and cheering. there needs to stronger voices in the community against these fights since the folks there often don't trust or pay as much heed to people outside the community. programs like the one below are really a step in the right direction in reaching out to kids and changing their views of pit bulls and making sure they don't end up like future Vicks.

Campaign Tackles Urban Dogfighting | The Humane Society of the United States (http://www.hsus.org/acf/fighting/dogfight/programs/ - broken link)

Sean Moore: Reformed Fighter Is Now Friend to Pit Bulls | The Humane Society of the United States (http://www.hsus.org/acf/news/sean_moore_profile_ada_052209.html - broken link) (*gasp* a reformed dog fighter!)

The Pit Bull Training Team, off to a Great Start | The Humane Society of the United States (http://www.hsus.org/acf/fighting/dogfight/programs/pit_bull_training_team_0902.html - broken link)

Pit Bull Training Team Expands to Charlotte, Atlanta | The Humane Society of the United States (http://www.hsus.org/acf/news/pit_bull_training_team_atlanta_charlotte_031309.ht ml - broken link)
I can't rep you again but thanks for those links very eye opening & I enjoyed the one on Sean, there is hope
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs