U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 07-28-2009, 07:00 PM
 
Location: Mississippi
315 posts, read 979,561 times
Reputation: 421

Advertisements

Sun In Hair,
Please get rid of that dog ASAP before you or someone else is seriously injured. He is not , and never will be, trustworthy. It's not worth an injury to assuage the guilt from admitting you can't "fix" him by caring enough.

 
Old 07-28-2009, 08:16 PM
 
Location: Rural New Mexico
557 posts, read 2,321,740 times
Reputation: 339
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldenfatt View Post
Sun In Hair,
Please get rid of that dog ASAP before you or someone else is seriously injured. He is not , and never will be, trustworthy. It's not worth an injury to assuage the guilt from admitting you can't "fix" him by caring enough.

You are right, Oldenfatt--you were from the start. I made my decision after careful thought, consulting with the vet, a local animal shelter, and relatives. I did contact several rescue/rehab groups, including Best Friends in Utah, all of whom have NO room. It's a sad situation when our animal rescue/rehab centers are overflowing. At least I know the last two months of his life were good--days filled with love, good food, training, long hikes in the country, indoor living with the family, his own couch to lounge on, and even homemade doggie biscuits.
 
Old 07-28-2009, 08:21 PM
 
Location: Rural New Mexico
557 posts, read 2,321,740 times
Reputation: 339
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveHorses View Post
Sun - at the end of the day, you are the only one with the first-hand knowledge needed to make this judgment call.

It's a tough and a very lonely place, I know - and you have my sympathy.

But you also need to put it into context. You need to ask yourself the "what if" questions. Plus you really - but really - need to look at this from a purely practical perspective devoid of emotion. It isn't a nice picture by any means, no - but the reality of trying to place a known biter in today's litigation-happy climate makes for simply overwhelming odds. While miracles do happen (or so I'm told), this doesn't sound like the kind of situation where you can just wait for the visitation to show up at your front door.

Bear in mind one thing: there are fates far worse than a peaceful passing.
Yes, there are fates far worse than peaceful passing and Hobbs has already been there--he was skin and bones when we adopted him, cowered when you raised a hand to pet him, ran and hid if you said "No" to him. He would likely end up being euthanized in a shelter--with no loving family member there with him, either.
 
Old 07-28-2009, 08:34 PM
 
Location: Minnesota
1,484 posts, read 3,322,011 times
Reputation: 2409
Sun You have done all the best for this dog.. I think this is the last best thing you can give him.. ( a peaceful passing ) hard to do but sometimes the choice isnt a choice ( like now ) I am truely sorry for all concerned thats a fact..
:: sighs softly ::let him go with diginety and love knowing you did everything right for the time you had him in your care ..
 
Old 07-28-2009, 11:34 PM
 
Location: Mostly in my head
19,822 posts, read 55,980,702 times
Reputation: 19019
So sorry for all of you! So sorry that no one had room for him. He will have lots of new friends in the great fields of the sky, where he will meet some of my dogs and run and play happily.
 
Old 07-29-2009, 12:07 AM
 
462 posts, read 731,896 times
Reputation: 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunInHair View Post
You are right, Oldenfatt--you were from the start. I made my decision after careful thought, consulting with the vet, a local animal shelter, and relatives. I did contact several rescue/rehab groups, including Best Friends in Utah, all of whom have NO room. It's a sad situation when our animal rescue/rehab centers are overflowing. At least I know the last two months of his life were good--days filled with love, good food, training, long hikes in the country, indoor living with the family, his own couch to lounge on, and even homemade doggie biscuits.

good luck with that!!!
 
Old 07-29-2009, 03:15 AM
 
Location: Bristol, England, UK
158 posts, read 439,102 times
Reputation: 165
Aaww Sun im so sorry i was really hoping and praying Hobbs would do better! I cant imagine how tough this must be for you, hes such a handsome boy and you must have alot of memories So sad that the shelters are full, its always sad to hear a healthy dog being put down, my thoughts are with you xxx
 
Old 07-29-2009, 09:45 AM
 
1,257 posts, read 4,061,516 times
Reputation: 1018
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunInHair View Post
Yes, there are fates far worse than peaceful passing and Hobbs has already been there--he was skin and bones when we adopted him, cowered when you raised a hand to pet him, ran and hid if you said "No" to him. He would likely end up being euthanized in a shelter--with no loving family member there with him, either.
Would you say your dog's aggression is fear based? I am now at a reactive dog class that is filled with dogs with fear and/or food aggression issues. The instructor, Dr. Radosta, is teaching everyone how to read dog's signals and calm the dog down. I am there simply because of curiosity. There are many dog owners that are dealing with the problems and some of them are driving 2-3 hrs to be there. Give Dr. Radosta a call or send her an email to see what she will say and ask her whether there is someplace you can send your dog. Here is the website: www.flvetbehavior.com
 
Old 07-29-2009, 10:08 AM
 
Location: San Antonio, TX
556 posts, read 1,833,577 times
Reputation: 845
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunInHair View Post
I'm feeling intense anger at whomever owned him before because they seriously damaged this poor dog. I need some support in my decision here--I'm an emotional mess. Please, if you don't understand and agree, just don't post? Thanks.
Sun - I've followed your situation with Hobbs as well. Your post reads as if you already know your decision and I wanted you to know that I fully support you and wish I could be there with you when the day/time arrives to give you moral support. Hobbs knows he is loved.....I wish you peace in your decision, for you gave Hobbs every opportunity to succeed and be a safe canine companion....and you being prepared to let him go when he isn't safe, takes courage.

Not all dogs who are healthy in body - are healthy in mind......at least you can keep Hobbs from facing any future abuse or neglect at the hands of another human. Sending strength to you....and kind thoughts...
 
Old 07-29-2009, 10:13 AM
 
Location: Minnesota
1,484 posts, read 3,322,011 times
Reputation: 2409
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rottnboys View Post
Sun - I've followed your situation with Hobbs as well. Your post reads as if you already know your decision and I wanted you to know that I fully support you and wish I could be there with you when the day/time arrives to give you moral support. Hobbs knows he is loved.....I wish you peace in your decision, for you gave Hobbs every opportunity to succeed and be a safe canine companion....and you being prepared to let him go when he isn't safe, takes courage.

Not all dogs who are healthy in body - are healthy in mind......at least you can keep Hobbs from facing any future abuse or neglect at the hands of another human. Sending strength to you....and kind thoughts...
And there is the answer Sun, you did your best for Hobbs....let him go in love and dont feel guilty for this ..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top