U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2009, 10:17 AM

1,257 posts, read 4,067,158 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rottnboys View Post
Not all dogs who are healthy in body - are healthy in mind...
maybe we should euthanize all the "difficult" dogs so there will be no need for humane society, rescue organizations and no "bad" dog to deal with.

Old 07-29-2009, 10:18 AM

9,355 posts, read 16,868,377 times
Quote:
Sun - I've followed your situation with Hobbs as well. Your post reads as if you already know your decision and I wanted you to know that I fully support you and wish I could be there with you when the day/time arrives to give you moral support. Hobbs knows he is loved.....I wish you peace in your decision, for you gave Hobbs every opportunity to succeed and be a safe canine companion....and you being prepared to let him go when he isn't safe, takes courage.

Not all dogs who are healthy in body - are healthy in mind......at least you can keep Hobbs from facing any future abuse or neglect at the hands of another human. Sending strength to you....and kind thoughts...
my thoughts exactly .... and worded better than i could have done.....

i know that you have worked very hard with and for this boy and hope that the thought of him having known your love and compassion these months will provide you some sort of comfort......

Old 07-29-2009, 10:21 AM

9,355 posts, read 16,868,377 times
Moderator cut: quote

some dogs, like some people, are mentally or emotionally unstable..... people can be medicated and otherwise cared for..... with dogs, this is not always so feasible.....

i hve followed the saga pretty much from the start and i feel confident in saying that this dog is not "difficult," he is proving himself to be a danger to people who love and care for him...... how on earth are they supposed to trust him around others.... friends, family, strangers, CHILDREN.........

Last edited by Keeper; 07-30-2009 at 05:27 PM.. Reason: deleted quote

Old 07-29-2009, 10:24 AM

556 posts, read 1,836,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LingLing View Post
maybe we should euthanize all the "difficult" dogs so there will be no need for humane society, rescue organizations and no "bad" dog to deal with.
Ling - you don't know me, know about the dogs I live with and/or the work I do in rescue, or the roads I've traveled to rehab challenging dogs - but we weren't debating putting down difficult dogs - I'd be happy to discuss that if you want to start a new thread - my home is filled with the castoffs of others - all difficult in their own right, to include a biter.......that's my decision and living with 'project dogs' is truly a personal one - just as personal as deciding to put one down that continues to bite humans when there is no threat, not implied or real......NO threat.....living with dogs should be pleasurable and enriching to both - it should not feel unsafe and volatile.

Back to Sun - do what is right for you and Hobbs.....I will restate that I support you...

Old 07-29-2009, 11:05 AM

10,091 posts, read 36,922,570 times
Quote:
Ling...Sun is having hard enough time with this. She politely requested in her first post, if you did not agree, please just don't post. It is the last thing she wanted to do. If you so disagree, and it is your right, start another post. JMO

Old 07-29-2009, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyGirl1 View Post
Ling...Sun is having hard enough time with this. She politely requested in her first post, if you did not agree, please just don't post. It is the last thing she wanted to do. If you so disagree, and it is your right, start another post. JMO
Wow. I thought this forum is to help each other to reach a sensible decision. I also followed the story. I feel that she gave that dog a chance and a lot of care. How about the training? I am just wondering whether she has exhausted all the training methods/options. If she did, I have no problem with her euthanizing Hobbs.

Well, if she had made the decision, I will not waste my time. Let us all happy that one more dog angel will be in dog heaven

Last edited by LingLing; 07-29-2009 at 12:43 PM..

Old 07-29-2009, 12:40 PM

150 posts, read 280,061 times
I follow the posts, but do not post much. I really believe that you have gone above and beyond for this dog, and by rehoming him, the problem will still be there. The decision is hard, but follow your heart. I truly believe that the only humane thing is to PTS. I'm sorry that you have to go through this.

Old 07-29-2009, 12:42 PM

Quote:
continues to bite humans when there is no threat, not implied or real......NO threat.....
Whether there is a threat or not is not determined by you. It is determined by the dog and how the dog sees the situation. What makes us more intelligent is that we try to understand and learn....

I know a dog rescuer who went overboard and just got arrested for dog abuse. I was shocked to see the dog crate I donated became evidence (the crate is used to hold a black wolf). She have three euthanized dogs in her ranch when police raid her home. She told police that she was too sad to remove the bodies.

However, this totally has nothing to do with this thread.

Keep up with the good work, everyone!!!

Old 07-29-2009, 12:58 PM

556 posts, read 1,836,395 times
Quote:
Whether there is a threat or not is not determined by you. It is determined by the dog and how the dog sees the situation. What makes us more intelligent is that we try to understand and learn....
And it is not my place to determine how much understanding and learning that Sun has done on behalf of Hobbs and the issues they faced. Dogs have to be successful in a human world Ling - it is a fact....each of us have our own individual threshold for tolerance of dog behavior concerns.

I might choose to live with a dog who bites humans because I feel I can protect him (the dog) and those entering my home, from one another. Someone else might have zero tolerance and choose putting the same dog down after the first bite to a human, regardless of the reason.

It doesn't make either person bad - the responsibility is really a very personal one....our society isn't very forgiving of a dog who bites people - particularly when it is discovered the dog has bitten before.....

Continued good thoughts to Sun - her family and Hobbs. Loving a dog, wanting a dog to 'get better', but continuing to be physically harmed by the dog - isn't what pet ownership is all about.

There are a lot of us out here Ling - like I suspect you and I might be - that take on project dogs and have relatively good success with their rehab - but that doesn't mean every pet owner should be prepared to live for years with a dog they are afraid of being bitten by - again....

Old 07-29-2009, 03:03 PM

Quote:
There are a lot of us out here Ling - like I suspect you and I might be - that take on project dogs and have relatively good success with their rehab - but that doesn't mean every pet owner should be prepared to live for years with a dog they are afraid of being bitten by - again....
Excellent answers. I didn't ask her to keep Hobbs. I ask her to surrender to a dog rescue who may find him a home with a single female and no children (please see my first post). Due to his fear aggression, I guess he may be very reactive to man and may take a long time to rehab. I know many rescues don't have space but I have known people who find a good rescue and leave their dog (a rotti) in a portable crate with some food, water, some cash and a letter describing the dog in detail right in front of door of the rescue. Then next day, a friend would wander into the rescue and pretends to be someone who wants to put up $250 per month for three months to sponsor that dog. I, personally, have never seen a rescue that has space. The dogs just kept showing up on their doorsteps. That dog did find a home with a large farm with no man and no kid. The lady actually wants a dog who hates man. I am the one who did home study and visited her several times afterward.
Well, actually, there are so many of them. Dogs are created by human, used by human and destroyed by human all the time. This one who has behavior issue and has no particular use may be just another one of those statistics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or