Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2009, 04:01 PM

556 posts, read 2,087,303 times

Advertisements

Sun - I'm going to come back to you, as the OP and focus of this thread and say again, that the decision you will make about Hobbs is yours to make - and it should be one you can find peace with - even if it may not feel that way at first. I don't blame you if you don't share anything further, but know that many of us would be there if you did, to offer support.

Old 07-29-2009, 04:18 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,029,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rottnboys View Post
Sun - I'm going to come back to you, as the OP and focus of this thread and say again, that the decision you will make about Hobbs is yours to make - and it should be one you can find peace with - even if it may not feel that way at first. I don't blame you if you don't share anything further, but know that many of us would be there if you did, to offer support.

**raising hand to be first in line**

rottnboys.... you are a wise and kind person.......

Old 07-29-2009, 04:18 PM

5,012 posts, read 10,692,515 times
The OP did go above and beyond but she should not have euthanized Hobbs. I'm sorry but I don't feel sorry for you, I feel sorry for Hobbs. I only hope that you will think twice before you adopt again--you clearly made poor decisions in this case.

Old 07-29-2009, 04:21 PM

10,090 posts, read 42,418,125 times
Count me in 100% in backing you up!

Old 07-29-2009, 04:43 PM

3,748 posts, read 12,404,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LingLing View Post
The lady actually wants a dog who hates man.
I'm sorry but I just can't believe the above statement. And the rescue said ok?! I've been actively involved with dog rescue for many, many years and am very concerned with any rescue that would place a dog because "it hates men". What type of responsible owner would put that down as a request on an adoption application? In our rescue group - that woud be a very large "Denied". I won't even get into the liability issues for the rescue that placed that dog.

Sun - if you haven't given up on this thread yet because of the cruel and inane comments I've seen here, I do have a question. Has Hobbs ever had a neurological study done? I ask because seizures in dogs can sometimes manifest as unprovoked aggression. Just a question you may want to ask your vet. Please know that there are others out here that understand and have been in your shoes. My thoughts are with you.

Old 07-29-2009, 04:46 PM

3,074 posts, read 4,725,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunInHair View Post
If you've followed my posts here, you know about Hobbs, our lab/pitbull adopted from the shelter a couple months ago. Shortly after adoption he bit my husband in the face, causing a nasty wound so we monitored him closely and worked to show, in positive ways, we are the alphas. Hobbs was settling in, overcame separation anxiety, learned some basic obedience (including housebreaking),and learned to leave the adult cat alone. I read books, consulted a behaviorist, and spent a lot of time with this dog, and learned to love him. He was even doing okay with the new kitten. Now this week Hobbs has bitten my husband again and made one more attempt. My husband loves animals and has trained hunting dogs--he is a gentle man. I'm faced with the decision to euthanize Hobbs because clearly he cannot be trusted--would he bite a child???? Will he attack my kitten? I'm feeling intense anger at whomever owned him before because they seriously damaged this poor dog. I need some support in my decision here--I'm an emotional mess. Please, if you don't understand and agree, just don't post? Thanks.
I just had to make that decision with one of my Terrier's after working with him for a long time. He attacked a child and that was it. It was not a bad bite but the way he did it I knew he would do it again. Knowing that your dog bites
has set you up for a law suit if he bites someone. My Vet said she know people that have lost everything because of bites like these. What if your dog mames or kills a child how will you feel? Sometimes doing the right thing is hard.

Carrie

Old 07-29-2009, 04:57 PM

1,481 posts, read 3,946,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarlaJane View Post
The OP did go above and beyond but she should not have euthanized Hobbs. I'm sorry but I don't feel sorry for you, I feel sorry for Hobbs. I only hope that you will think twice before you adopt again--you clearly made poor decisions in this case.
starla.. your about a fool here .. We all feel bad for Sun AND this very hard choice .. would you have taken Hobbs knowing he would bite w/o reason? In fact would any of you nay sayers have taken this dog and NOT made this choice after he made 3 bites?..... I doubt it ..

and what would you suggest Sun do with this dog other than euth him? Lock him in a cage to go crazy .. muzzle him 24/7 to go crazy and more mistrustful...... give him to less careing folks who would maybe abuse him or toss him in the fight ring to earn his keep? there were no other choices that were left for Hobbs than the one that was made with a heavy heart

Some dogs just cant be saved no matter how hard we try .....

Old 07-29-2009, 06:56 PM

3,074 posts, read 4,725,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarlaJane View Post

Wow what a really d%)b statement...........

Old 07-29-2009, 07:32 PM

5,012 posts, read 10,692,515 times
Sorry but I don't care what the "good" reason is for euthing a dog... no one who believes that this is an option should own a dog.
BTW, I am trying to remain civil. I was able to post without resorting to name-calling or profanity; I just happen to not agree wit the OP's decision.
Furthermore, the OP never should have owned this dog. This dog should have been placed somewhere that it would not have been euthanized, such as a no-kill shelter or perhaps a single-person household with no men and no other animals. Proper placement would probably have saved Hobb's life and would have prevented the OP et al. from going through all of this.

Old 07-29-2009, 07:48 PM

2,091 posts, read 9,047,674 times
Sun, you have gone above and beyond with poor Hobbs. From you posts, its clear youve done everything you can think of, and much more than most people would have to help Hobbs. And its obvious youre tormented over this sad decision. But like the majority here, I really do think youre doing the right thing. Frightening to think what probably would have happened if Hobbs had gone to a lesser person. MOre abuse probably. Or to Someone who would rather a dog be unloved and miserable,spending the rest of a lonely life in a concrete pen. Where is that a good choice?
Im sorry more people didnt respect your request for some support and that if they didnt agree, to just not post.
Maybe if those who are so opposed to what youre doing could step up to the plate and come get Hobbs and take him into their home if they feel that strongly about this.
Again, I think youve done all you can and its certain you havent made this decision lightly. My heart goes out to both you and Hobbs. But I do think youre doiing the right thing. For whatever thats worth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs