U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2009, 11:28 PM

4,628 posts, read 9,258,094 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006Buckeye View Post
...was quite shy.
...she would not come.
...she didn't want to come to either of us.
...would run into the corn if we got too close.
...darted out to get it [food], then carried it into the rows of corn to eat it.
...she has been running around the area for about 3 weeks
...won't come to anyone.
...dog food...we took a few large handfuls (thinking it would entice her to come to us)...It didn't work.
...tried for about 45 minutes, and then had to give up.
That would qualify as semi-wild. She knows enough to realize that humans have food. Not feral. Two different things. Who knows for sure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2009, 11:28 PM

1,350 posts, read 3,614,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
My guess is that she's not "semi-wild," but dumped, especially because she was pregnant. She might have been living on her own for a relatively short time and isn't feral at all, but is wary because she isn't used to being "in the wild" and is protective of her litter.
I agree. A feral dog would just have disappeared at your sight. Perhaps you could find through some local pet groomers, vets, the rescue org., or local internet site, such as a forum for the local paper, a person who would be willing to place the food and water for you and you could check maybe once a week, eventually getting her to safety with any pups.

So sad. She must be so frightened.

Old 07-31-2009, 06:04 AM

9,352 posts, read 16,787,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
My guess is that she's not "semi-wild," but dumped, especially because she was pregnant. She might have been living on her own for a relatively short time and isn't feral at all, but is wary because she isn't used to being "in the wild" and is protective of her litter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tama View Post
I agree. A feral dog would just have disappeared at your sight. Perhaps you could find through some local pet groomers, vets, the rescue org., or local internet site, such as a forum for the local paper, a person who would be willing to place the food and water for you and you could check maybe once a week, eventually getting her to safety with any pups.

So sad. She must be so frightened.

my thoughts exactly...... good luck to you and to her ......

Old 07-31-2009, 06:09 AM

1,188 posts, read 4,952,981 times
We have some friends that live very rurally and just went through this with 13 dogs abandoned by their neighbors. Some of the dogs were brave enough to be approached and some weren't. It took a few weeks of leaving food out and the dogs finally feeling safe to be approached. Our friends lived out of the jurisdiction of the closest shelter and there was nothing the county could do. Even the sheriff couldn't do anything legally. Our friend is even a retired police chief from a major city and tried to work angles to get these people to be held accountable to no avail.

Two of the stray females looked like they had given birth recently. One had puppies about 8 weeks old and the other dog's puppies were never located. Sadly, you have to take into account sickness, coyotes, owls, hawks, etc. that may have preyed off of the puppies.

Long story short, they fattened the dogs up, vetted them (s/n & shots) and worked with a rescue three hours away willing to take most of the small dogs and our friends are working on finding homes for the rest.

My mom was trying to catch a stray dog that looked like she had puppies recently and she talked with her local shelter and they were willing to loan her a humane dog trap (like ones for cats but bigger).

Old 07-31-2009, 06:14 AM

4,129 posts, read 13,275,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amazonchix View Post

My mom was trying to catch a stray dog that looked like she had puppies recently and she talked with her local shelter and they were willing to loan her a humane dog trap (like ones for cats but bigger).
That may be a very good idea - if the dog can be humanely trapped and someone's there to release her soon after, they may be able to put a collar on her and she may be able to lead them to the puppies - of course the calmer everyone is and the less commotion, the calmer the dog will be and the more apt she is to do that - and they'd have to be very careful that she doesn't escape b/c it prob. w/b twice as hard to get her again.

Old 07-31-2009, 07:04 AM

3,413 posts, read 5,113,502 times
Buckeye you've taken on quite a challenge. Depending on how old the dog is, how much time she spent with humans before being dumped and how long she's been living on her own will all make a difference in how long it will take to catch her.

A friend of mine spent about 3 or 4 months of feeding daily before we were able to trap 2 dogs. They were young, had probably been dumped when just 3 or 4 months old and people in the rural area said they had seen the 2 dogs around there for about 2 months before my friend encountered them.

We modified 2 wire dog crates and put latches on them. Over several days we set food progressively closer to the crates. Then let them go a day without feeding, then several days of bowls just inside the door and no attempt to catch them. Then bowls all the way in the crates so they had to completely enter them but no attempt to yank the rope and close the door. Again let them go a day without food then really tempting chicken livers in the crates. One unsuccessful attempt to close the door but it was open too wide and the rope pulled it open more. Repeat and finally caught them. Both were very far along in pregnancy but were spayed and 9 pups in each were aborted. That was last November.

They are still in foster care and very skittish, only 2 people can handle them. They are terrified of going into a house, (they are in outdoor runs with dog houses, tarped roof) but will now walk on lead into the barn were there are other animals.

So progress is being made but it extremely slow. If they had had more human contact when young and/or been caught after a shorter time in the woods on their own, progress and socialization would likely be much further along. Anyone who adopts either of them will have to accept the fact that they probably will never be really people friendly but that's OK, not every dog need to be as outgoing as a typical golden retriever. I'm sure that someone is out there, it's just a matter of time.

If the rescue you've been phoning is small and does not have a shelter but is based on home fosters then they most likely just have a voice mail account with the phone company and so it is never "answered". They may not return phone calls if it is long distance for them and you're not contacting them because you are interested in adopting from them. Try contacting them via e-mail instead.

Thank you for trying to help this dog. All fingers and paws crossed that you will soon be successful in your endeavors.

Last edited by zugor; 07-31-2009 at 08:19 AM..

Old 07-31-2009, 02:11 PM

4,628 posts, read 9,258,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latetotheparty View Post
my thoughts exactly...... good luck to you and to her ......
Those two posts quoted are contradictory. Hard to agree with both.

Excellent previous three posts.

Old 07-31-2009, 05:50 PM

4,334 posts, read 12,205,164 times
I feel so bad for this poor dog. Wish I could help!

I just had a stray husky/mix run down my culdesac here all emaciated and panting, running in the pouring rain. He was a non neutered male. Can never catch those male dogs. Irresponsible owner somewhere.

Old 07-31-2009, 06:38 PM

13,786 posts, read 18,711,608 times
well I can offer what we did after Katrina , our church got about 25 ppl to go to new orleans after Katrina and we scoured the area and this was kind of hard cause ppl had to understand that we would be getting dirty and muddy and maybe even cut up and scratched . So we took 25 ppl with us along with tons of supplies , hand santizer , band aids and such . so what I guess I am saying is , is it possible to get a group to go with you and take enough supplies like water and food and maybe some cages where the dog and the pups could go in for shelter ? I mean if there were enough of you maybe then you could catch mama dog and the puppies . God bless you and I hope whatever you do works .

Old 08-03-2009, 05:57 AM

9,352 posts, read 16,787,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeBee View Post
Those two posts quoted are contradictory. Hard to agree with both.

Excellent previous three posts.

how are the contradictory??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or