U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2009, 03:05 PM

16,685 posts, read 26,775,402 times

Advertisements

Artie's new "when my husband and I are having dinner" treat will be plain yogurt frozen in a Kong. NO MORE PIG'S EARS FOR MY LITTLE PIGGIE.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2009, 03:11 PM

90 posts, read 294,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
LostNJax -- I think Artie, aside from grain intolerance, has a sensitive tummy too. Hmmm.

Blondie621 -- Bacteria??? That's it. I'm tossing the rest of the bag, I think. No more for Artie. I'll fill his Kong with bacteria-free goodies instead. UGH!

Just thinking allowed.... Doesn't having treats in the kong that the dog eats all day long breed bacteria?? I would think it's like a child eating a lollipop and then setting it on the floor and then picking it up again to finish. .... Just a thought. HMmmmmm

Old 07-30-2009, 03:21 PM

4,584 posts, read 5,022,426 times
My lab Ben (gone last Feburary) had a very bad habit of swallowing my underwear. He didn't chew it up but swallowed it whole. Thankfully I don't wear the granny panies but the dental floss ones seemed to go down easy for him. LOL After he threw them up whole, weeks later, my DD and I were very careful to put ALL dirty clothes into the hamper right away.

Sooooo, you are wondering WHAT this has to do with Pig's Ears, right? My boyfriend at the time, bought Ben a bag of Pig's Ears. I had never seen them before so I called my vet to ask if this was ok to give to Ben. He said, and I quote, "I would rather have him eat your underwear than those Pig Ears." LOL

He didn't get either.

Old 07-30-2009, 03:24 PM

LostNJax -- Oh no, it definitely wouldn't be all day long at all. Whenever I put stuff in his Kong (whether yogurt or peanut butter or whatever), he gets it out quick enough -- within half an hour -- and then the Kong goes right into the dishwasher.

Jessiegee40 -- OMG! That's the funniest thing EVER!!!!! HAHAHAHAHAHA!!

Old 07-30-2009, 03:33 PM

1,055 posts, read 4,315,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Va-Cat View Post
I may be wrong on this but wasn't there a connection between dried pigs ears and intestinal blockages in dogs? I thought I saw, heard or read something about it not being a good idea to give them to dogs often if at all.

But I might be wrong and thinking of something else........
I've heard the same thing.

Old 07-30-2009, 03:42 PM

218 posts, read 700,013 times
Have you tried bully sticks? They can be pricey in the pet stores but feed stores are a lot cheaper and you can also buy online. My dog loves them and they are perfectly safe provided you buy the proper size so there isn't a choking risk (Mojo gets the 6 inch but I've seen them as large as 18 inches). I usually put one down for Mojo to gnaw on for a while and then put it away for later as he takes a while to eat them and not having it around constantly keeps him more interested. I just bought him something called a Texas toothpick that is made from a beef tail and he loves that as well. I'm less certain about the safety of it compared to the bully stick but it's similar in shape and I've not seen or heard anything bad about them.

Old 07-30-2009, 03:48 PM

pers -- I knew nothing about bully sticks until now. I just Googled it and at first wondered how it was different from rawhide (which Artie can take or leave; there's always one around the house). But then I read further. Bully sticks are made from bull's penises. So, two minutes ago I knew nothing about them and now I know too much about them!

Old 07-30-2009, 04:03 PM

4,334 posts, read 12,230,154 times
Quote:
pers -- I knew nothing about bully sticks until now. I just Googled it and at first wondered how it was different from rawhide (which Artie can take or leave; there's always one around the house). But then I read further. Bully sticks are made from bull's penises. So, two minutes ago I knew nothing about them and now I know too much about them!
Imagine the bacteria in those things? Where have they been? I would say no go to those too!

Old 07-30-2009, 04:11 PM

Blondie621 -- I think Artie's going to stick with yogurt and carrots and green beans. All things that I would eat. And his liver treats, which I won't.

PS. I tried to rep you and Jax earlier, but it seems I've got to spread some love around first.

Old 07-30-2009, 05:07 PM

4,584 posts, read 5,022,426 times
Quote:
Jessiegee40 -- OMG! That's the funniest thing EVER!!!!! HAHAHAHAHAHA!!
Ben's vet was too funny. After Ben threw up the 3rd pair of panties, the vet suggested I go to New Orleans and try to find a store that sold the edible undie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or