U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2009, 08:03 PM

3,593 posts, read 10,685,923 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessiegee40 View Post
Ben's vet was too funny. After Ben threw up the 3rd pair of panties, the vet suggested I go to New Orleans and try to find a store that sold the edible undie.
LOL - I love a vet with a sense of humor!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2009, 06:59 AM

16,676 posts, read 26,757,695 times
Glitch -- You're right. He's certainly not overweight. He's on great food and gets a TON of exercise. I'm going to take your advice -- if I do happen to continue to give him pig's ears (although I doubt I will), I will limit them to a once-in-a-blue-moon treat, and even then, cut them in half. But I'm thinking that I'm going to stop giving them to him altogether.

Kerowyn -- So interesting what you said about the oily ones. When I pull an oily one out of the bag, Artie walks away from it. As for the vet testing his stool sample, we're going to the vet for his annual visit on Aug 29, so I'll make sure to ask them about it. Other than his soft stool, he's acting "normal" and eating his meals, so I'm not concerned. I'm thinking, though, that the daily pig's ears were less a treat than a stomach nuisance for him.

kelsie -- Because Artie is grain intolerant, I always look for things that won't irritate his tummy. Go figure that a pig's ear would harm him. I wish Artie could speak!

jhlcomp -- Definitely not a pretty picture. Thank you for the advice. I will follow it.

yukiko11 -- Artie's good with his hickory-smoked rawhide, so I'm not worried about that. But I'm pretty sure that he'd prefer some prime rib!

Old 07-31-2009, 07:37 AM

5,417 posts, read 5,401,917 times
Dan, another thing that we were warned about when we first got our dog was NOT to give her tennis balls to play with. Her trainer explained that the diameter of the tennis ball allows the large breed dogs to swallow the ball and choke to death.

As I told you she is only on Holistic food, bottled water & Vitalife treats and just yesterday we had to bring her to the Vet because there was blood in her urine & stool. She has a kidney stone which he feels came from minerals She is now on antibiotics and medicine to try and dissolve the stone & he wants us to pick up cranberry capsules to sprinkle on her food.

This is a great forum, thanks for all the information, have a great day. kelsie

Old 07-31-2009, 07:52 AM

Kelsie -- Luckily, Artie has no interest in tennis balls. He'll play with them once in a while, but then looks for something else, preferably something to bark at.

I hope your girl is feeling better soon. Wishing you good luck and good health for her.

Dawn

Old 07-31-2009, 08:13 AM

718 posts, read 1,804,659 times
Never ever give my dogs pig ears or anything that is not made in the United States, which is getting much more difficult to find. If I wouldn't eat it....they don't get it. And, aside from shots .....they don't visit the vet.

Old 07-31-2009, 08:17 AM

214 posts, read 604,054 times
I think it depends on the dog. If your dog is a heavy chewer, I would not give any rawhide, hoofs, or pigs ears. Some dogs tend to chew off huge chunks, and swallow them, causing intestinal blockages. My setter has a huge box of rawhide and chew toys that sit unchewed.....when he is bored enough to chew something, it takes him forever....he chews a rawhide the way it was meant to be chewed, getting it nice and soft, and chewing off little pieces.

My dog gets pigs ears occassionally, as a treat....in part because I enjoy seeing the "Pig Ear Happy Dance!" Pigs ears seem to elict a ritual happy dance that involves running around the house showing everyone the pigs ear, then runnning outside around the yard to show off the pigs ear to the neighborhood dogs (because what good is having an awesome pigs ear if your dog friends don't know about it!). Then, he runs back inside, drops the pigs ear on the floor, and hops/jumps around it, wagging his tail and barking all the while.... "Woof! Pigs ear! Pigs ear! Woof! Arrfff! Look everybody...I have a pigs ear!"

The happy dance goes on for about five minutes, after which he may run around with it in his mouth again, sit down and chew it, or simply walk away and forget about it. Many times, he leaves his pigs ears outside in the yard..after a heavy rain, they become waterlogged and reconstituted. He will then find his marinated pigs ear, and bring it back into the house, leaving it on the kicthen floor. Instead of looking like a dried up piece of rawhide, it looks like...a severed pigs ear. I usually find it when I step on something cold and slimy before I have had a cup of coffee in the morning......"What the....Oh DEAR GOD, what's this! I severed pigs ear! Good GOD, where did this come from!"

There have been concerns about salmonella contamination of these dog treats...if you do feed them, be sure you buy the ones that have been tested and are bacteria free...it will say on the label. The concern extends not only to your dog...people can become seriously ill from it, also.

Old 07-31-2009, 08:23 AM

Hepcat -- OMG! That's hysterical! What I wouldn't give to see that happy dance. It reminds me of the bit from Eddie Murphy's "Delirious" (stand-up comedy) film where he recounts being a child when the ice cream truck comes up his street. He gets an ice cream cone, his friend doesn't, and he sings and dances: "I got some ice cream, I got some ice cream" [pause pause] "And you don't got none, and you don't got none!"

Artie does chew his rawhide "properly" -- that is, when he wants it at all. But I'm suspecting that he doesn't eat the pig's ear correctly and just wolfs it down. My thinking is that I'll give up the pig's ears and just give him other stuff that he likes: carrots, green beans, etc...

Old 07-31-2009, 08:24 AM

10,091 posts, read 36,880,213 times
Are pig ears safe for dogs and puppies?

Old 07-31-2009, 08:30 AM

8,309 posts, read 34,408,047 times
DandJ,

My dog loves the hooves, but man does his breath stink while he's working it over.

A good treat that he can work on for quite a while would be a marrow bone or single ribs. The first day he'll work the marrow out of a cross-section of femur or pull all the meat off of a rib bone. After that the bones will not rot to the point of foul odor and he can be allowed to work on them for a few days before you pitch them.

Old 07-31-2009, 08:37 AM

ShelbyGirl1 -- That's the answer! It says right there that too much can cause soft stools. I had Googled and read so many links but missed this one. Thanks!!! Another reason that I'm going to STOP giving him pig's ears is something that I should have realized long ago: It actually says on the bag to wash hands after handling. Honestly? If I have to wash my hands to get something presumably bad off of them, why would I be feeding it to my dog? The decision has been made.

Jimbo -- But then there's the whole issue of dogs choking on bones. AAARRRGGGHHH! I just want to give Artie a treat that lasts and that he can enjoy, but it's so darn hard to find something that takes more than a second to eat, that he likes, AND won't make his stool mushy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or