Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2009, 12:04 PM

1,344 posts, read 3,610,187 times

Advertisements

Even Cesar Milan couldn't tame this beast. The ferocity of this little fluff ball could could not be challenged by seasoned canine academics, self-help books, or even the best dog-tamer in the industry...

After Surgery -

"most dogs are intelligent enough to understand they are no longer knife-damaging biters, but more like pinchers at best."

I wonder if this canine offender will finally change his ways...

http://www.pawnation.com/2009/07/31/is-canine-disarming-the-solution-for-agressive-dogs/?icid=main|main|dl2|link3|http%3A%2F%2Fwww.pawnati on.com%2F2009%2F07%2F31%2Fis-canine-disarming-the-solution-for-agressive-dogs%2F
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2009, 01:18 PM

3,748 posts, read 12,405,738 times
Personally - I'm appalled at this! As it says in the article - it does not address the behaviour. This is right up there with declawing cats in my book.

Old 07-31-2009, 01:23 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,032,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Va-Cat View Post
Personally - I'm appalled at this! As it says in the article - it does not address the behaviour. This is right up there with declawing cats in my book.
Agreed. It's also right up there with that "rebarking" surgery. Crazy!

Old 07-31-2009, 02:39 PM

1,481 posts, read 3,947,231 times
welll..... guess she could/ should have saved the money and had him euth'd he still attacks w/o warning .. this sort of issue is usually a death sentance for 99% of the biters she must love this dog alot to do this for him ..

Old 07-31-2009, 03:04 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,698,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faworki1947 View Post
welll..... guess she could/ should have saved the money and had him euth'd he still attacks w/o warning .. this sort of issue is usually a death sentance for 99% of the biters she must love this dog alot to do this for him ..
yeah, ive noticed animal people are getting way too extreme these days. if the owner says its surgery or death then i think its better to go with surgery.

Old 07-31-2009, 10:21 PM

What is worse - putting a 'troubled dog' to sleep or making its teeth dull so it can't hurt people?

Kill vs. Live

I went through this many years ago and let me tell you, it's not an easy decision. Luckily my dog got old and lost his temper...

Old 07-31-2009, 11:41 PM

4,627 posts, read 10,472,373 times
I doubt that he will change his ways. Perhaps he has some sort of mental defect, the kind where he just attacks perceived interlopers, i.e. non-regulars in his domain, for no logical reason.

The procedure may offend some sensibilities. It's still better than being dead.

Old 07-31-2009, 11:57 PM

Don't even get me started on "Dreams" I have had about my dogs and cats... I have always chosen the side of surgery over extermination with ALL my animals.

Just this week I had a dream about my 18-year old cat, the one who watched me grow up and become a man. In the dream, she called my phone from a bar in Chicago, and told me to pick her up, i.e. "rescue" her from a bar, as she was going to morph back into a CAT from a WOMAN. She said she would be hiding behind a dumpster off of Drexel and another cross street in Chicago waiting for me to take her home.

I had contemplated putting her down because she kept on peeing on my living room carpet in her old age. I had the carpet replaced, put a door up in the kitchen (so she couldn't enter the carpeted part of the house) and let her live on medication. She got healthy, and it was the BEST decision I have ever made.

I LOVE my 18-year old cat. She will probably live another 10 years...

Old 08-01-2009, 12:03 AM

10,757 posts, read 35,437,415 times
I have a neighbor who has one of this same breed, his name is Samuri for a reason. I honestly believe if someone made the mistake of breaking into their house, he would rip them to shreds. However he is controlable.

I wonder if she tried medication. Vets sometimes perscribe what humans would call psychiatric medication to pets with problems such as these.

Personally if this will keep them from having to put this beautiful dog to sleep, then it was worth it. He is after all zealously protecting his pack/family.

Old 08-01-2009, 12:18 AM

1,121 posts, read 3,665,697 times
In life, there are some relationships that just can't be salvaged.
The time, and money that went into trying to save this damaged dog could have saved 5 really good dogs.
Why are we humans so blind and egotistical when it comes to our pets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs