U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2009, 04:32 PM

737 posts, read 2,240,175 times

Advertisements

Neighbor dog and my pit-mix got into a bit of a disagreement, resulting in a smallish bite on my pet in her hind quarter - no bigger than an inch square. Vet and vet-tech are not reachable (Friday night, we are VERY rural) and we have applied some hydrogen peroxide and wondered if we should give a neosporin application next. Or any other advice? She is not in pain and I thank anyone that can confirm or give other advice!

Both have all shots.

Last edited by SunsetBeachFL; 07-31-2009 at 04:33 PM.. Reason: Both have all shots.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2009, 04:47 PM

3,593 posts, read 10,643,727 times
I take it that your dog has a short coat? If not, I suggest either shaving or cutting the coat in the area so you can keep an eye on the wound. Its treatment depends on the type of wound. Is the wound a puncture or does it appear to be torn? Also, please stop using hydrogen peroxide to flush the wound (especially if its a puncture). It does not kill bacteria and will inflame the skin cells around the wound. Go to the drug store and get sterilized saline solution to use as a flush. Whether to use antibiotic ointment would again depend on the depth and type of wound. Also urge you to get your dog to the vet on Monday if you see ANY signs of infection (redness, oozing, puffiness).

Old 07-31-2009, 04:48 PM

7,079 posts, read 34,459,029 times
If you washed it and put on the peroxide, I wouldn't put on anything else. The biggest problem with bite wounds is that they have deep areas that are essentially without air exposure, which means that anaerobic bacteria can live there.

I'd leave it alone and get your dog to the vet when you can, so that they can thoroughly irrigate the wound and start antibiotics. It's not the surface stuff that's the problem, it's the stuff DEEP in the wound, where neosporin 1) won't reach and 2) won't help. When people are bitten (by people or by dogs)we do the same thing. Fortunately, dog teeth are usually cleaner than human teeth!

Hope she's doing better soon.

Old 07-31-2009, 05:00 PM

Thanks! Sorry I couldn't rep you again ViralMD, have to spread it around. Ok, we'll vet on Sat. and just leave it alone for the rest of the evening.

VAcat - yes. Good call, she does have a short coat so it was easy to see. No puncture, really, sort of a teeny "chunk" and I'm am the helicopter Mom, so I will be monitoring!

Last edited by SunsetBeachFL; 07-31-2009 at 05:01 PM.. Reason: short to sort of

Old 07-31-2009, 05:03 PM

12,054 posts, read 20,198,817 times
Do not put any more hydrogen peroxide on the wound. As others have said, watch for any signs of infection. I would be concerned about an abcess, so even if the wound looks like it is healing, make sure that you get to the vet first thing on Monday morning. Hope everything goes well.

Old 07-31-2009, 05:18 PM

141 posts, read 405,788 times
Do not use peroxide. Shave (if necessary). Wash with soap and water. Don't want to clean the wound too much or use peroxide because it will wash away the good bacteria.

My bull terrier constantly gets into tiffs with my dachshund and I have taken her to the vet several times only for them to say the best thing for the wounds is to let them heal on their own. They will not close up the wound because it won't drain properly. Last fight was REALLY REALLY bad and the vet suggested a $600 surgery to put in drain tube for a BIG GASH. Couldn't afford it if I wanted to so I just left with some pain killers and antibiotics (which is all I wanted anyway). My doxie was sad and in pain that night and part of the next day. But one day later was perfectly fine and her wound which I thought would take forever to heal, healed extremely quickly. Don't overreact.

Old 07-31-2009, 05:31 PM

7,079 posts, read 34,459,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRandi View Post
Do not use peroxide. Shave (if necessary). Wash with soap and water. Don't want to clean the wound too much or use peroxide because it will wash away the good bacteria.

My bull terrier constantly gets into tiffs with my dachshund and I have taken her to the vet several times only for them to say the best thing for the wounds is to let them heal on their own. They will not close up the wound because it won't drain properly. Last fight was REALLY REALLY bad and the vet suggested a $600 surgery to put in drain tube for a BIG GASH. Couldn't afford it if I wanted to so I just left with some pain killers and antibiotics (which is all I wanted anyway). My doxie was sad and in pain that night and part of the next day. But one day later was perfectly fine and her wound which I thought would take forever to heal, healed extremely quickly. Don't overreact.
Randi, there's absolutely NOTHING wrong with using peroxide. The normal commensal bacteria of the skin will come right back. They don't do anything, anyway, but unless you sterilize the ENTIRE surface of the skin on the whole dog, it's not going to do ANY harm.

Old 07-31-2009, 05:32 PM

Thanks, y'all. As always, I can continue to count on this forum! Little Fifi is resting comfortably, vet tomorrow and leash tonight (she hates the leash, oh well).

Old 07-31-2009, 06:47 PM

399 posts, read 1,959,870 times
The vet that I worked with said that hydrogen peroxide was fine once, but after that it actually delays healing some. He usually had us use diluted betadyne to flush wounds (dilute it to look like iced tea color).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or