Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2009, 08:11 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,630,907 times

Advertisements

I have used advantage, since it did come on the US market B4 frontline did.
Then Frontline Iwas told for dogs, advantage cats. Anyway I did notice this
dog, who never did itch, doing the doggy scratch, and I told her no. I had
given her the monthly frontline, and she had her groom. Funny, today, I did
decide to watch her tummy, fleas! This has only been in the last few weeks?
Maybe at the dog groomers? Anyway, I gave her another doze of frontline.
I then when back to dog flea basic b4 frontline. I took out the flea comb
got the suds, with water, and did go after them. I did get a few off,
tommorow, outside more of this I will do! I was told way one, get suds,
water, do it outside, with the comb, and they drown, or get a bottle fill it with rubbing alcohol, and when you get them off, drown them, and kill them this way! Whats up with frontline, and fleas? The other old way, flea collar, found it just did no good, and the spray, I got more of a flea bath! Also
she had a limp, and had xrays, no hip problems, and is on meds. She is
not fat, and 15 lbs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2009, 09:09 PM

9,352 posts, read 19,941,670 times
i have used frontline on my cats and now my dogs for years .... never had problem one with fleas..... but i have read some posters in here saying that it has stopped working for them..... you might have to try advantix or go back to the advantage......

Old 08-01-2009, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by latetotheparty View Post
i have used frontline on my cats and now my dogs for years .... never had problem one with fleas..... but i have read some posters in here saying that it has stopped working for them..... you might have to try advantix or go back to the advantage......
Thanks, this dog always did have frontline, and never ever saw a bad flea!
I will do the wait, and comb, and drown, the fleas for now! I did rep you
thanks!

Old 08-01-2009, 10:12 PM

4,334 posts, read 13,620,699 times
If your dog has fleas it takes a while for the Frontline to kick in. Once it is under control you will never see another flea. I stopped for a few months during the winter here and my dogs got fleas. It took a couple of months for them to clear out with the Frontline.

Old 08-02-2009, 12:07 PM

2,404 posts, read 6,236,274 times
Always have used frontline. Works great, especially living in the country. Never had fleas in over 20 years. Just have BIG dogs, no cats.

Old 08-02-2009, 12:55 PM

1,581 posts, read 3,288,701 times
Never, ever use any of that crap on your pets! It is a poison that has to be broken down by the liver and will cause long term damage. If you don't want your dog to have fleas - bathe them, change their diet, and give them supplements.

Products that are marketed to your pets have very little regulation. And if your pet dies, the companies know there is very little that you can do in terms of a law suit. And if the damage is done long term - say over the span of 10 years. There is even less you can do because it will be very hard to prove the product caused your pet's disease.

Old 08-02-2009, 01:06 PM

2,002 posts, read 4,567,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondie621 View Post
If your dog has fleas it takes a while for the Frontline to kick in. Once it is under control you will never see another flea. I stopped for a few months during the winter here and my dogs got fleas. It took a couple of months for them to clear out with the Frontline.
Yeap, give it a couple of days. Still the best thing for our 2 golden retrievers

Several veterinarians had recommended this product and you'd need to use very high doses to "intoxicate" your pet, so they're supposed to be safe. I don't think they are especially dangerous.

Old 08-02-2009, 01:52 PM

Does anyone know if the spray is any good, or just keep using the other stuff? I hate those bad fleas
and was so glad when frontline came on the market.

Old 08-02-2009, 02:29 PM

518 posts, read 2,053,786 times
We've used Frontline for years, and have never had a problem with fleas or ticks. I normally stop giving it in Nov, then start back up in March or April. You have to remember to remove the collar from their neck, apply, play with them for a while, wait about an hour (or longer) than put the collar back on. That way the medicine isn't absorbed into the collar but on the dogs skin. There are oral pills you can get from your vet,
There have been a few oral flea control products that have come out in the past, however, the comfortis flea pill is the first one that kills adult fleas for an entire month. Program and Sentinel are also oral flea meds, however, they are designed to kill fleas in the larvae and pupae stages only - they do not kill adult fleas like Comfortis does. Comfortis flea is just the opposite, it kills fleas in the adult stages only and will not prevent the hatching and growth of larvae. Like Comfortis, Capstar is also a chewable, given by mouth flea killer that acts on fleas that are on the dog at the time the pill is given, however, it does not offer the month long residual effect that Comfortis does.

Old 08-02-2009, 02:34 PM

14,785 posts, read 23,950,501 times
I know that in florida some say that fleas can become immune to what you are using and you must switch every six months or so or you will become infested with them and it is also a good idea to have your yard sprayed by someone like trugreen or something like them . I hope you will switch and see what happens I wish you luck cause I know how aggrivating this can become .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs