U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2009, 11:15 AM

315 posts, read 977,656 times

Advertisements

As to the liability- why was an unsupervised mentally challenged boy in the vicinity of the dog? Does he live nearby? Did he try to interact with the dog? What is his level of functionality? My reason for asking is that his parents may have some degree of responsibility themselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2009, 11:23 AM

13,779 posts, read 18,681,251 times
okay well here is one question ? what would you have done if this was a small child or god forbid a baby in a stroller ? this dog is unpredictable and he does not know who is pack leader therefore it is the owners fault and yes this dog should be reported so that it is on record and now the police have been called so a report has been filed . They should be responsible enough to keep it in the house and walk it , not leave the dog in the yard unattended to do what he pleases . This dog is obviously a danger to others and he is owned by irresponsible ppl so please report this incident to the animal control or aspca in your area . I think they should be aware of what happened otherwise next time could be a childs life taken .

Old 08-03-2009, 11:25 AM

13,779 posts, read 18,681,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldenfatt View Post
As to the liability- why was an unsupervised mentally challenged boy in the vicinity of the dog? Does he live nearby? Did he try to interact with the dog? What is his level of functionality? My reason for asking is that his parents may have some degree of responsibility themselves.
Omg I cannot believe that someone would even say this ? are you saying that ppl should not be walking down the street just cause they are mentally challenged ? let us just call it what it is , irresponsible dog owners and they have a dangerous dog .

Old 08-03-2009, 11:28 AM

1,195 posts, read 2,514,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zugor View Post
Hey Cool Rob just a few of thoughts. I'm guessing that the neighbor is not willing to spend the money to bring in an animal behaviorist/trainer to correct the problem.

Suggest to your neighbor that she purchase a modular chain link dog run, Lowe's and HD both carry them in my area. It's about $225.00 for a 10 x 10 here. Is the dog left unattended for long periods of time in the yard? Is she home or away when he's out alone? If he's out for short periods of time when she is home she could choose to put a basket style muzzle on him. I have a plastic one that is a Hannibal Lecter face mask model. Others are made of wire but they completely enclose the muzzle, unlike the soft cloth ones you may have seen at the vet which are sleeve like and open at the end. This would not confine him to her property but if he got out he would not be able to bite, although he could still knock someone down, claw at them etc.

A couple of other notes as just an FYI. The ASPCA is an animal welfare organization in New York City. Other communities also have SPCA's , for example the RVSPCA is the Roanoke Valley SPCA). Every SPCA and HS (Humane Society) is an independent organization so if you donate to the ASPCA or the HSUS (Humane Society of the United States) you are not funding your local group.

Animal Control is a government body and is responsible for enforcing the laws about animals and the employees are often a subset of the police or sherriffs department. Many SPCA's and HS's have a contract with the municipality to run the local shelter but they are usually not empowered to enforce the law.

Here's hoping the the solution is not to simply kill the dog.
This dog is outside 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. I know this dog is frustrated by watching so much going on outside, that he is unable to experience. I suggested to the ladies husband/boyfriend/house mate a few weeks ago the possibly liability of owning large breeds specifically rotties, and the whole time you could see this joker beaming with ignorant pride that he had a big scary "taboo" dog.

They will literally be outside doing something (in the front yard mind you as the back yard I imagine looks like a wasteland of mud, feces, and stench and even they don't want to go back there ), while the dog is frantically ripping and running up a storm in the back yard. For the life of me I can not understand while they won't just spend a couple hundred bucks for a kennel for the dog, or at least give him away!

And thanks for the clarification, I really meant Animal Control, but am so used to just saying ASPCA or SPCA!

And I doubt they will get a behaviorist, as I am beginging to realize that they don't see anything wrong with the dog, or the danger he is presenting.

Old 08-03-2009, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
Omg I cannot believe that someone would even say this ? are you saying that ppl should not be walking down the street just cause they are mentally challenged ? let us just call it what it is , irresponsible dog owners and they have a dangerous dog .
I agree, this guy is harmless. He walks the streets to get fresh air, and he talks with a lot of the neighbors. He is about 25, and I have NEVER seen him bother anybody! I have also witnessed younger kids from the house across the street messing with him, so maybe this was all intentional? This thread has really got me thinking....

Old 08-03-2009, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hepcat View Post
Rob...question...did anyone make sure the developmentally disabled young man was really all right? If the dog broke the skin, he may have needed medical attention. Dog bites carry a high risk of infection, and the young man may have sustained a puncture wound that was not immediately visable. My concern would be for the young man who may not be able to adequately commmunicate to his caregivers what precisely happened. It must have been a terrifying experience for him.

I do not believe you have a legal obligation to report this owner, but I do believe you have an ethical obligation. This dog is an accident waiting to happen...the dog has a record of leaving its property to attack people without provocation...the owner of the dog seems mentally ill. Emotionally healthy people don't allow their animals to cause harm to innocent people and their pets again and again. She is perhaps a sociopath...she first lied about owning the dog, right? If she didn't take action after the first attack, its doubtful she will ever. She simply doesn't care who her dog hurts.

Imagine what you will feel like if the dog makes it over the fence and kills a child. Would you really want that on your conscience? What if the dog attacked a friend or family member coming to visit you.....are your visitors being put in harms way? What if it was your wife who was attacked? I think you should report the incident to the local SPCA....at least you would have done your best to prevent another innocent person, or their pet, from being harmed.

Good luck...it must be horrible to live across the street from someone like that.
Thanks for the input. And yes, I got the guys info, and I will check on him this evening to make sure he is ok. And yes, you are making some very good points. Thanks a lot

Old 08-03-2009, 11:39 AM

4,704 posts, read 10,124,181 times
Coolrob ,After reading this sentence you wrote "Personally I would like to feel that I can trust that this lady is taking into consideration that her dog may be a problem, but after seeing the same conditions this morning that just yesterday caused a guy harm, and cost her 300 bucks for a window, has me thinking a bit." Then you saying this dog has gone after 3 other people I would say that part that has you thinking is what I call a gut feeling and over the years I have learned to trust those gut feelings as they are usually correct. In some ways I have come to believe that they may be God or what ever higher power you believe in speaking to us so we do the right thing.

People like this owner live in denial if this has happpend as many times as it has and she still has the dog out there where he can get out, it is unlikely she will change without a major push.

phonelady your reply to Oldenfatt is right on! Mentally challenged people do not live in prison and have as much right as you and I do to walk down a street. Many as adults live in group homes and hold down jobs so use the buses to get to and from work or do shopping or go out and have fun. I can not belive some one would make the comment that Oldenfatt did either!

Old 08-03-2009, 11:40 AM

337 posts, read 740,902 times
You should absolutely report her and the dog. If/when her insurance company finds out she has that dog, SHE WILL get dropped.

She knows the dog has issues and has done nothing to keep it from getting out. She is an irresponsible pet owner and should be punished.

Old 08-03-2009, 12:07 PM

315 posts, read 977,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dashdog View Post
Coolrob ,After reading this sentence you wrote "

phonelady your reply to Oldenfatt is right on! Mentally challenged people do not live in prison and have as much right as you and I do to walk down a street. Many as adults live in group homes and hold down jobs so use the buses to get to and from work or do shopping or go out and have fun. I can not belive some one would make the comment that Oldenfatt did either!
Well I did make the comment, and I strongly believe a lawyer would too if you consulted one. No mention was made of the degree of impairment of this young man, which is of critical importance as to his reaction to a perceived threat from the dog. I was a public school teacher for a number of years and have had to work with a number of SPED kids. They don't react to acute stress in predictable ways.

Sweet guy or not, the dog wouldn't know he's disabled. People living in close proximity to each other shouldn't maintain guard breeds unless its a poor neighborhood and they are scared of being robbed- in which case you people squalling about getting her insurance dropped can be quiet- they probably don't have any. This doesn't sound like a neighborhood with a lot of wealthy professionals. OP has AmBulls (great dogs, BTW), which are grade AA protection dogs. Sounds more like somebody doesn't want an aggressive dog with an idiot owner next door to generate anti-dog sentiment in the neighborhood.

Old 08-03-2009, 12:27 PM

10,091 posts, read 36,757,484 times
If ever the guardians for the young man that was hurt, decided to sue and press charges, they will bring you in as a witness. The attorney will no doubt ask you if you knowingly allowed this dog to return to it's home without notifying the proper authorities of it's behavior. You could then be liable because you knew this dog could be(is) dangerous.
I would certainly notify the correct authorities..anyone walking by that house is at risk to be seriously injured (or worse)...then how will you feel?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs