U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2009, 06:23 AM

532 posts, read 1,102,167 times

Advertisements

If you live in the tri state area and are looking for a dog or puppy, visit the North Shore Animal League. I was amazed at how many puppies they had, at least 30, this weekend. I suspect that many families looking for a puppy buy them mostly because selection is few and far between at the shelters. This is not the case at NSAL. Lots of adult dogs too of course. There are plenty of common area space to take the dogs for walks and sit and bond with them before choosing your animal.

Now that I got the plug out of the way, let me introduce you to Bella, our new girl, she's about 6 months, house broken and is about the silliest dog you'll meet. we haven't owned a dog in 4 years when our last dog passed, our 9 year old is as happy as I've ever seen her

I'm thinking Border Terrier and something, any thoughts on breed mix? She has a bob tail, not sure if it was docked, but why dock a mutt?
Attached Thumbnails
North Shore Animal League-img_8317reduce.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2009, 09:42 AM

7,422 posts, read 13,710,164 times
not to dis the shelter, but they have so many puppies and kittens because they basically only take puppies and kittens.

still, any shelter, not matter what their intake restrictions are, means more room in other shelters to save animals' lives.

congrats on your new dog! she is adorable.

Old 08-04-2009, 10:01 AM

4,130 posts, read 13,307,278 times
Congrats, she's very cute - but border terriers are on the small size w/ short legs. Hard to tell her size from the picture, maybe she has some airedale in her or Irish terrier - ? I love the brindle - saw an older pup in my neighborhood yesterday, she looked just like a golden retr. but but had brindle fur, much like a golden.

Old 08-04-2009, 10:05 AM

7,079 posts, read 34,523,205 times
NSAL does not just take puppies. I know because I know someone who works there.

Your new dog is very sweet looking. As Honeycrisp said, it's hard to determine her size from that photograph.

Old 08-04-2009, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viralmd View Post

Your new dog is very sweet looking. As Honeycrisp said, it's hard to determine her size from that photograph.
I'd put her @ 18" at the shoulder, she's certainly got a lot of terrier in her, head shape, muzzle and body shape strike me as BT.

I was impressed with NSAL staff, they were very interactive and caring with all of the animals. There were many more adults than puppies. Some dogs with moderate to severe disabilities. They actually refused to adopt a puppy to a father and son while I was waiting to speak to the vet, I did not catch the reason, but they have a solid screening process.

Old 08-04-2009, 11:17 AM

90 posts, read 294,143 times
I'd go with Boxer/terrier mix.

I maybe wrong, but I thought that some boxers are born with short tails. (Note: Not all but some...) I think the brindle and the white spot on the chest and toes say boxer.. and some boxers are short like Bella. Also the ears and the snout. It looks a little stubby?? It's hard to tell. I would say there's boxer there.

Old 08-04-2009, 11:27 AM

9,028 posts, read 16,426,519 times
looks a lot like my brindle boxer, just a lot smaller with different coat type

the back legs, posture and way the ribs curve into the stomach are all pretty close

i could definitely see boxer/terrier

Old 08-04-2009, 11:35 AM

4,130 posts, read 13,307,278 times
Male border terriers average approx. 13-16 inches high, females w/b 11-14 inches -- weight averages 13-16 lbs for males, 11-14 lbs for females, they are small. Of course, one of her parents might be a very large dog which would account for her height. At any rate, she sure is a cutie.

Old 08-04-2009, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostNJax View Post
I'd go with Boxer/terrier mix.

I maybe wrong, but I thought that some boxers are born with short tails. (Note: Not all but some...) I think the brindle and the white spot on the chest and toes say boxer.. and some boxers are short like Bella. Also the ears and the snout. It looks a little stubby?? It's hard to tell. I would say there's boxer there.
That would explain the tail, Boxer is one of the few breeds that can have a natural bob, per Natural bobtail - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

That would explain the brindle coat, tail and height. She is only 6 months so she may grow a bit. Regardless, to us she is a champion bred Bella Terrior. They are quite rare, only one known to exit .

Old 08-04-2009, 12:48 PM

7,422 posts, read 13,710,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viralmd View Post
hm, hopefully they've changed their policy. i found a stray dog 10 years ago when i lived in nyc and they would not take her because she was not a puppy.

although now that i think about it, it may be that they would come and pick up puppies, but not full grown dogs. i didn't have a car to get out to long island at the time. if that is still their policy, maybe *that's* the reason they have more puppies than average.

sorry to spread misinformation!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs