Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2009, 10:47 AM

10,090 posts, read 42,273,148 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
That's a good point. Is coccidiosis the bug they can pick up from mouthing/chewing/eating dead birds?
Well, it's usually associated with poor sanitation living quarters, but it can be from eating their own stool or that of others. It can lay dormant for quite awhile and then something, like stress or another sickeness can trigger it. But there are other symptoms too, and if Artie isn't showing any other symptoms, then this probably isn't the culprit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2009, 10:50 AM

17,330 posts, read 32,872,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyGirl1 View Post
Well, it's usually associated with poor sanitation living quarters, but it can be from eating their own stool or that of others.
My cleaning woman would go NUTS if she heard you say that!

Luckily, even though Artie is a monster, he doesn't eat stool -- his or others.

When I go to the vet on Saturday, I'm going to bring a fresh sample -- even if it has no blood in it -- so they can test again. Maybe they missed it because the sample was more than 24 hours old.

Old 08-05-2009, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by latetotheparty View Post
is there a canine version of irritable bowel syndrome (ibs)? i know that humans with ibs are most often lactose intolerant as well ..... could parallel with artie's being grain intolerant ..... or i might just be reaching......
It's funny that you should say that because I had originally thought he was lactose intolerant, I think that he's not because whenever I give him cheese, he has good hard poops.

As for the IBS, I don't know if dogs can have that. Hmmm.

Old 08-05-2009, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
My cleaning woman would go NUTS if she heard you say that!

Luckily, even though Artie is a monster, he doesn't eat stool -- his or others.

When I go to the vet on Saturday, I'm going to bring a fresh sample -- even if it has no blood in it -- so they can test again. Maybe they missed it because the sample was more than 24 hours old.
I am so sorry....That just didn't come out the way it should have!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I didn't mean to imply that at all!!!!!!!!!!
I wanted to focus on the eating of the stool,his or others....k...time for me to shut my mouth Taking my foot out......

Old 08-05-2009, 10:57 AM

1,481 posts, read 3,931,716 times
possible he has anal fissures or hemmorids? not impossible either .. maybe the vet can do a swab check of the area .. and any chance its his anal glands being infected?

Old 08-05-2009, 10:59 AM

Quote:
It's funny that you should say that because I had originally thought he was lactose intolerant, I think that he's not because whenever I give him cheese, he has good hard poops.

As for the IBS, I don't know if dogs can have that. Hmmm.
They can:

Diarrhea in Dogs: Signs Your Dog May Have IBS

Old 08-05-2009, 11:03 AM

Quote:
I am so sorry....That just didn't come out the way it should have!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I didn't mean to imply that at all!!!!!!!!!!
I wanted to focus on the eating of the stool,his or others....k...time for me to shut my mouth Taking my foot out......
Oh please! Are you kidding me? Don't you dare apologize! I knew you were joking! I knew what you meant.

You're Dylan's Mom. You can say anything to me, my friend.

Old 08-05-2009, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faworki1947 View Post
possible he has anal fissures or hemmorids? not impossible either .. maybe the vet can do a swab check of the area .. and any chance its his anal glands being infected?
He does have anal sac "issues" and has to get them expressed periodically, but he hasn't been doing the bum scootch (which is his way of telling me that they're full), so I don't know.

Definitely something to talk to the vet about, though. Thanks.

Old 08-05-2009, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Another thing to talk to the vet about. This may be his annual visit, but all discussion will center around poop... like it always does. HA!

Old 08-05-2009, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Oh please! Are you kidding me? Don't you dare apologize! I knew you were joking! I knew what you meant.

You're Dylan's Mom. You can say anything to me, my friend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs