Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2009, 09:24 AM

4,334 posts, read 13,660,266 times

Advertisements

I just happened to catch this on video one morning. This was not too long after I brought a stray female lab/mix into my pack. Chyna put Jenny in her place in the pack. They are now bests buddies!

YouTube - Chyna dominates Jenny

Last edited by Blondie621; 08-12-2009 at 09:36 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2009, 10:34 AM

7,380 posts, read 15,672,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
i think most pitt owners know that people are going to be watching them very closely in the dog park so if there are issues they wouldnt take them.

i remember one guy with a pitt and he kept it away from any other dogs. whenever a dog would come over, he would run over and yank his dog away.

there was a really cute pitt puppy i saw there. you could tell it wont be going there forever because it was making a growling sound while playing.

i had one pitt that my dog played with and there were no problems at all. the owner was very concerned and watchful.
a lot of pit owners i know of are REALLY cautious about bringing adult pits to the dog park, or they just won't do it. they know that if there's a fight, even if their dog didn't start it, it will be more negative publicity for pits.

i would have to think long and hard about that if i had a pit, even a dog friendly one. i'm not sure what i'd do.

http://www.badrap.org/rescue/dogpark.cfm (broken link)

Old 08-12-2009, 12:06 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,687,864 times
i dont really see many fights in the dog park. if id have to pick a breed that ive seen in them most frequently it would be boxers. i dont immediately discriminate against the breed, last time we were there my dog had a great time with a boxer. my dog likes to chase down other dogs and get in their way. the boxer was good because he had the energy to run and the strength to not get stopped by my dog. oh and there was also a boxer puppy that my dog was chasing. the puppy ran sideways right into a tree. it hurt to watch but the dog was fine.

Old 08-12-2009, 02:06 PM

of course, if a pitt were to make my dog less attractive by causing her serious damage id quickly put her to sleep because she is only a status symbol to me and a handicapped dog would reduce my status.

Old 08-12-2009, 02:16 PM

7,380 posts, read 15,672,917 times
ha!

Old 08-12-2009, 02:54 PM

2,126 posts, read 6,802,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
i dont really see many fights in the dog park. if id have to pick a breed that ive seen in them most frequently it would be boxers. i dont immediately discriminate against the breed, last time we were there my dog had a great time with a boxer. my dog likes to chase down other dogs and get in their way. the boxer was good because he had the energy to run and the strength to not get stopped by my dog. oh and there was also a boxer puppy that my dog was chasing. the puppy ran sideways right into a tree. it hurt to watch but the dog was fine.
How does your Aussie do at the park? I have noticed that shepherd breeds tend to cause some issues at the park. I've seen several of them harass and nip and try to herd dogs until the dog can't take it anymore and snaps at them. The shepherd isn't doing anything malicious, it is just following its instinct.

My experience at the park has been really enlightening. I haven't seen a pit cause any issue. They are usually really mellow. I'm assuming the owners know their dogs well and have socialized them thoroughly because the "regulars" that come to the park are just part of the pack. A good natured pit is a great dog, gotta love that big grin they get.

Old 08-12-2009, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc76 View Post
How does your Aussie do at the park? I have noticed that shepherd breeds tend to cause some issues at the park. I've seen several of them harass and nip and try to herd dogs until the dog can't take it anymore and snaps at them. The shepherd isn't doing anything malicious, it is just following its instinct.
she is primarily interested in chasing down down dogs and overtaking them. this can lead to them falling which is why i prefer for her to play with dogs a little larger than her. also, if a dog runs out to get a ball, she will run over the get in their way when they are returning, so she ruins a lot of fetching attempts. i think the last time we were there she had one instance of nipping but it didnt lead to anything. she has been lucky to not have any dogs really go after her so she feels comfortable doing as she pleases and jumping all over dogs when she sees them getting snappy. she takes a lot of abuse from my cat so i figure she is used to a little pain.

Old 08-12-2009, 03:28 PM

18,118 posts, read 11,753,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogcrazy View Post
Opinions needed!!!

For pitbulls that show no signs of dog aggression...do you think it would be a bad idea to bring one into a home with multiple dogs?Like 5+ dogs...Or do you think thats too much and its better with maybe one other dog of opposite sex?Alot of books i've read and information from breed rescues say never trust a pitbull not to fight with another dog.Is that really true?

Are you planning to get another dog? Another pit bull?

Why is the pit bull singled out against playmates?

Old 08-13-2009, 07:47 AM

1,243 posts, read 2,809,259 times
one of my dogs is half pit bull and my pug plays too rough with her and is constantly tearing at her nose but she never does anything back because she knows he is small.....now my puggle I've been having bigger issues with, when my pit bull/boxer dog is out laying in the yard my tiny puggle will climb up her back to pee on top of her. very rude. Overall, they all get along really well though

Old 08-13-2009, 11:01 AM

603 posts, read 1,947,404 times
I wish i could take him.I just have the biggest place in my heart for this breed!Cant take them all though!I feel better that i help them and make their time at the shelter a good one!Most of them come in abused and never knew what love is like!And lately weve been getting a lot of emaciated ones in! Its VERY sad.Theres just not enough good people for these dogs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs