U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2009, 07:06 AM

4,129 posts, read 13,275,552 times

Advertisements

My oldest one will do this too - it's an effort to get her outside and into the yard sometimes and if I'm going out and might be gone for a while, I want her to 'go' (or at least have the opportunity) - sometimes she'll look at me blankly or will lay in the grass - she's small and I can carry her from the kitchen door to the grass but I want her walk in order to get things 'going' (if you get my drift) - no accidents, knock wood, but I know she'll be much more comfortable if she 'goes' outside before we leave the house. Will sometimes take her for a short walk, she likes going but at 12, isnt overly enthused but usually that does the trick esp. if it's a little while after a meal, a short walk down or around the block seems to do the trick .

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardener34 View Post
What do you all do about situations where you have the dog out for a while - like 20-30 minutes or so. They don't go outside, yet eliminate when they come back into the house? Mine has done this several times, it is SO aggravating! I have done the treats when they go outside, the rewards have not worked so far.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2009, 07:19 AM

39,251 posts, read 18,785,393 times
I got a three year old dog from the shelter.....she is a lovely dog.....she had three failed adoptions before I got her...."cant be house broken" it said on her kennel info card. Sure enough when we first got her home she went to the furthest part of the house and did #1 and #2.....I would walk her frequently and long distances and she wouldnt go ...... but when she came home would go and hide and do her business. The clue to her behavior was the shame and trembling and tail between her legs cringing that accompanied my finding t he accident. I am sure that this dog had been traumatized over going to the bathroom....and thought it was bad to go to the bathroom .

I made a point of never letting her see me clean up the mess; never mentioning it to her and when we walked letting her see where other dogs had gone or seeing a dog going and talking all happy about What a good girl....We had a yard and spent a lot of time outdoors and she had free access to the outdoors.....eventually she urinated outdoors but not for the first several weeks, we were on a walk and I praised her and patted her...just like when a kid goes on the potty the first time.

She is about 85% toilet trained now.....and that is good enough for me. She is a member of the family....and just like incontinence in an aged parent is part of life....her occassional accidents are part of life.....(She hasnt deficated in the house in months).

Now the other dog who was pretty well trained....is geriatric and she is definately losing it.....if the door is open she will go to it to be taken out....and she will go immediately if we carry her out.....but its not a biggy to her and she will just as happily go indoors.....it is such a bother to her....she has mobility problems and is going blind and deaf....and sometimes just doesnt want to be bothered. If we are vigilent we can get thru the day clean and dry......but it really is up to us.

In the winter, if it snows, we have to shovel a piddle yard real quick in the morning.

Old 08-12-2009, 09:21 AM

3,681 posts, read 5,540,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
I got a three year old dog from the shelter.....she is a lovely dog.....she had three failed adoptions before I got her...."cant be house broken" it said on her kennel info card. Sure enough when we first got her home she went to the furthest part of the house and did #1 and #2.....I would walk her frequently and long distances and she wouldnt go ...... but when she came home would go and hide and do her business. The clue to her behavior was the shame and trembling and tail between her legs cringing that accompanied my finding t he accident. I am sure that this dog had been traumatized over going to the bathroom....and thought it was bad to go to the bathroom .

I made a point of never letting her see me clean up the mess; never mentioning it to her and when we walked letting her see where other dogs had gone or seeing a dog going and talking all happy about What a good girl....We had a yard and spent a lot of time outdoors and she had free access to the outdoors.....eventually she urinated outdoors but not for the first several weeks, we were on a walk and I praised her and patted her...just like when a kid goes on the potty the first time.

She is about 85% toilet trained now.....and that is good enough for me. She is a member of the family....and just like incontinence in an aged parent is part of life....her occassional accidents are part of life.....(She hasnt deficated in the house in months).

Now the other dog who was pretty well trained....is geriatric and she is definately losing it.....if the door is open she will go to it to be taken out....and she will go immediately if we carry her out.....but its not a biggy to her and she will just as happily go indoors.....it is such a bother to her....she has mobility problems and is going blind and deaf....and sometimes just doesnt want to be bothered. If we are vigilent we can get thru the day clean and dry......but it really is up to us.

In the winter, if it snows, we have to shovel a piddle yard real quick in the morning.
Thanks for sharing your touching story, Elston. Lucky dogs.

Old 08-12-2009, 12:20 PM

1,455 posts, read 3,576,875 times
Quote:
I got a three year old dog from the shelter.....she is a lovely dog.....she had three failed adoptions before I got her...."cant be house broken" it said on her kennel info card........The clue to her behavior was the shame and trembling and tail between her legs cringing that accompanied my finding t he accident. I am sure that this dog had been traumatized over going to the bathroom....and thought it was bad to go to the bathroom .
How very sad. Wonderful that you were able to help her "get" it. We recently adopted a shelter dog too, we are her 3rd family. I spoke to the previous owner, who told me she wasn't housebroken. Uh, actually she was! But if you scolded her, or she felt ignored, or she thought you yelled at her (ex, if I yelled at someone else!), she would run downstairs and pee.

The poor dog had been in 3 different homes, at least 2 different rescues (one twice), and had NO IDEA of what was expected of her. It is 8 months later and she seems to understand now how our house runs.

Quote:
LoL, here too! Actually, the big dogs do a good job of making a path for him!

Old 08-12-2009, 12:38 PM

39,251 posts, read 18,785,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lolagranola View Post
How very sad. Wonderful that you were able to help her "get" it. We recently adopted a shelter dog too, we are her 3rd family. I spoke to the previous owner, who told me she wasn't housebroken. Uh, actually she was! But if you scolded her, or she felt ignored, or she thought you yelled at her (ex, if I yelled at someone else!), she would run downstairs and pee.

The poor dog had been in 3 different homes, at least 2 different rescues (one twice), and had NO IDEA of what was expected of her. It is 8 months later and she seems to understand now how our house runs.
I feel so much empathy for dogs who end up in shelters from a home.....what a nightmare......and then to find a home and get rejected and sent back....heartbreaking. To have to lie on a slab and have barking dogs and a stream of strangers viewing you.....and no routine or affection or place of your own.....it moves me to tears to think of it.

I hope people think of this and go to the shelters for a pet.....not to pet stores or breeders.....give a doggie a home! Please.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs