U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2009, 07:50 AM

7,422 posts, read 13,685,471 times

Advertisements

thoughts?

Banfield pet hospitals ban tail docking, ear cropping on dogs - USATODAY.com

Banfield, The Pet Hospital, the nation's largest network of animal hospitals, has announced it will no longer do tail docking, ear cropping or devocalization on dogs.

Headquartered in Portland, Ore., Banfield is the nation's largest general veterinary practice, with more than 730 hospitals and 2,000 veterinarians nationwide.

Devocalization, or de-barking, is a rare procedure and has long been controversial. It involves the full or partial removal of a dog's vocal chords to keep it from barking.

Tail docking and ear cropping, both quite common, have become more controversial over the past few years. Last year, the American Veterinary Medical Association passed a resolution opposing ear cropping and tail docking of dogs, "when done solely for cosmetic purposes," and encouraging the elimination of ear cropping and tail docking from breed standards.

Banfield has come out strongly against the procedures.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2009, 08:18 AM

16,651 posts, read 26,650,905 times
I'm glad about this. I think all three things are inhumane and unnatural.

Old 08-07-2009, 08:37 AM

5,975 posts, read 17,564,719 times
Who in their right minds devocalize a dog????!!!!!

Old 08-07-2009, 08:49 AM

13,773 posts, read 33,848,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bibit612 View Post
I know of 2 JRT's who were debarked and now the owner is trying to give them away. Dumb.. dumb..

Old 08-07-2009, 08:57 AM

4,334 posts, read 12,205,164 times
I applaud them. Leave the poor dogs the way they were born! I have been in a vet office when a littler of Rottie pups came in to get there tails cut off. Never in my life have I ever heard such screaming from such little pups! It was very upsetting! I had a hard time keeping my mouth shut with the owners of those pups. Horrible! Hope this follows thru to every vet! It is cruel and inhumane, sorry. Just my 3

My x used to landscape a yard many years ago for people that kept their dog tied up and living under their backyard deck. He noticed the dog would bark but nothing would come out. He asked the owner about it one day and the man said, the neighbors complained about the barking so they took the dog to the vet to had the vocal cords cut! He told the guy off and never went back there! How cruel is that?

Last edited by Blondie621; 08-07-2009 at 09:46 AM..

Old 08-07-2009, 10:04 AM

3,414 posts, read 5,113,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bibit612 View Post
Answer: Puppy millers often do so because they do not want several hundred barking whining dogs and puppies on their premises. It is done by the millers by shoving a pipe down the dogs throat to sever to cords.

Not by a veterinarian with the dog under anesthesia.

Old 08-07-2009, 10:20 AM

4,585 posts, read 10,820,713 times
Quote:
Well, since I have a Sheltie puppy I can answer that, they are notorious shrill barkers...mine has barked in my ear a couple of times and about made me deaf.

I can see doing it if it means the difference between keeping or getting rid of the dog.

Because of the hard times many peoples living situations have changed and they move from a home with a large yard and few neighbors to a condo or appartment. If I had a loving dog who barks like a sheltie can and had to move and it was either de-bark or get rid of the dog...I'd de-bark.

I've been around several breeders who have debarked some of their dogs ...believe me they can still bark plenty but just not quite so ear spliting loud as only multiple sheltie owners can attest to.

In a perfect world we would all live somewhere that it wouldn't be a problem.

As far as tail docking is concerned, again a pefect example is some breeds have tails that aren't just a nuisance they can be a problem. I had an aquantance who didn't dock the tail or crop the ears on her Doberman pup. Three years later she had to give the dog up because the dogs tail wagging was damaging her legs so much that it was causing scaring and her doctor said for medical reasons the dog had to go, it was heartbreaking for her and to this day she regrets not doing the tail docking.

When I was looking at Standard Schnauzers, I was on the fence about ear croping and one thing that was pointed out to me by a breeder is an un-groomed schnauzer of any size that lands in rescue might look like a mutt and not be scanned for a microchip without the tail docked and ears cropped and that would be the same with many breeds, A Dobie without their ears cropped and tail docked looks like a mutt.

Many hunting dogs have docked tails and thats for a reason and they are still being used for hunting purposes today.

Granted, many of the breeds today have lost their original purpose for doing such procedures but my biggest concern is will they quit doing dewclaw removal next? I'm a big beliver in that as I've had a few dogs that had real problems with dewclaws bleeding, getting infected etc.

If the vets quit doing the procedures on these breeds, some of which are called for in the AKC standard, that means for reputable breeders who own and show these dogs they will either have to do it themselves or find another vet.

Old 08-07-2009, 10:44 AM

7,422 posts, read 13,685,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReturningWest View Post
When I was looking at Standard Schnauzers, I was on the fence about ear croping and one thing that was pointed out to me by a breeder is an un-groomed schnauzer of any size that lands in rescue might look like a mutt and not be scanned for a microchip without the tail docked and ears cropped and that would be the same with many breeds, A Dobie without their ears cropped and tail docked looks like a mutt.
no shelter or pound i've ever dealt with will refrain from scanning a dog for a microchip just because they think it's a mutt. and i've volunteered for, adopted from, and brought strays in to quite a few, in different parts of the country. microchipping is certainly not restricted to purebreds - in fact most shelters these days microchip the animals they adopt out.

Quote:
If the vets quit doing the procedures on these breeds, some of which are called for in the AKC standard, that means for reputable breeders who own and show these dogs they will either have to do it themselves or find another vet.
or the akc could revise their standards.

you have somewhat of a point about the tails being a nuisance, but i don't know if that's a good enough reason to subject dogs to a painful procedure. why not interbreed them for less destructive tails? or take the tail into account when choosing a breed?

Old 08-07-2009, 11:13 AM

5,975 posts, read 17,564,719 times
Returning West - I've had many dogs but not a sheltie. Are they truly a barking breed? It seems to me that when a dog excessively barks, it is trying to communicate something, much like a baby would cry?

Old 08-07-2009, 11:24 AM

1,893 posts, read 3,515,084 times
Quote:
Well, since I have a Sheltie puppy I can answer that, they are notorious shrill barkers...mine has barked in my ear a couple of times and about made me deaf.
I can see doing it if it means the difference between keeping or getting rid of the dog.

Because of the hard times many peoples living situations have changed and they move from a home with a large yard and few neighbors to a condo or appartment. If I had a loving dog who barks like a sheltie can and had to move and it was either de-bark or get rid of the dog...I'd de-bark.

I've been around several breeders who have debarked some of their dogs ...believe me they can still bark plenty but just not quite so ear spliting loud as only multiple sheltie owners can attest to.

In a perfect world we would all live somewhere that it wouldn't be a problem.

As far as tail docking is concerned, again a pefect example is some breeds have tails that aren't just a nuisance they can be a problem. I had an aquantance who didn't dock the tail or crop the ears on her Doberman pup. Three years later she had to give the dog up because the dogs tail wagging was damaging her legs so much that it was causing scaring and her doctor said for medical reasons the dog had to go, it was heartbreaking for her and to this day she regrets not doing the tail docking.

Many hunting dogs have docked tails and thats for a reason and they are still being used for hunting purposes today.

Granted, many of the breeds today have lost their original purpose for doing such procedures but my biggest concern is will they quit doing dewclaw removal next? I'm a big beliver in that as I've had a few dogs that had real problems with dewclaws bleeding, getting infected etc.

Yeah, better to put a dog through a painful procedure to save your hearing. How about trying to train the dog not to bark as often? it can be done.

If you don't like a barking dog, here's a thought, don't get a dog.

Now that I think of it, I remember one shelter where I volunteered had a policy that any dogs that were not obvious purebreds were not scanned for microchips. Actually, if my memory serves me correctly, I think we just turned away all mutts to make it easier...are you serious, no docked ears and tails means no microchip?

Please don't get any more dogs...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or