U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2009, 01:47 PM

13 posts, read 22,515 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb64282 View Post
yea I used to throw it in our bushes and then I heard that it is actually bad for plants. someone suggested what I thought was a good idea for your yard for when you're shoveling poop, cut a trashcan in half and use the top half to buy in the yard with the lid ontop of it so you can open it up, throw in the poop and something to break it down (like lye I guess?) I always pick up after my dogs and you can get biodegradable bags if there are no trash cans near you to bury it. If I'm at the beach though, I usually dig really deep and bury it in the sand, that might be in bad taste but I always thought it was ok till some lady started yelling at me... I was like but I'm burying it? I wasn't going to just leave it there...she seemed pretty mad, must have been something else on her mind too
I've seen some videos and read some articles on the topic of composting dog waste. There is definitely a lot of set-up work involved and I hear the smell isn't really all that pleasant, but its certainly an option that might be worthwhile for people who have the space.

As for burying the dog poop in the sand, I'm not sure that's the best move. I don't know for sure, but I imagine it would still be able to contaminate the water at some point.

And thanks, BlueWillowPlate! Just trying to spread the word!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2009, 02:04 PM

2,002 posts, read 4,083,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niftybergin View Post
I'm fortunate that my apartment complex has a lot of those pet-poop stations all over the place. They supply the bags and then the trash cans are handy. I use them faithfully, but a lot of other tenants don't. It's so annoying!
Here the apt. complex has several poop stations too but getting near them to take a bag is a real challenge because, surprisingly, the dirtiest places are around them. The problem with people not picking up after the pets was so terrible that the administration put $50 fines. Same for people not using their leash, or taking the dogs to swim inside the pool (... ), etc. And this doesn't solve the problem with cats at all.

As mytimenow said: "Humans......what can you do?!?!?"

Old 08-13-2009, 02:07 PM

1,261 posts, read 4,682,224 times
Alot of dog walkers/owners are just friggin lazy. Its everywhere. Bunch
of lazy inconsiderate SLOBS.

Greenchili

Old 08-13-2009, 03:01 PM

16,584 posts, read 33,758,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarlaJane View Post
It's too bad that more people cannot tolerate dog excrement, as it is a natural fertilizer. And everyone who is picking up dog poop with those little baggies is contributing to unneccessary landfill (there are biodegradeable bags but very few people use them.)
I just think that getting upset about dog poop--and then banning dogs from areas b/c of it, etc.--is a complete waste of time and energy. The situation could very easily be remedied by people just watching where there are stepping. But heaven forbid a human should be considerate of other creatures who are inhabiting the planet.
Even IF all the back to nature uhhh... manure in your post made sense, you overlooked one important point:
ACCUMULATED DOG POOP STINKS!

Old 08-13-2009, 03:06 PM

13,821 posts, read 18,779,327 times
well if I see one person walking a dog I go out of my door and hand them a bag to pick up their dogs business and you should see the looks I get . This one lady responded to me that "who was I the dog poop nazi ? " I said no I dont want your dogs business in my yard . she cursed me and left the street . I have not seen her since . guess it worked or she moved away .

Old 08-13-2009, 08:48 PM

1,261 posts, read 4,682,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
well if I see one person walking a dog I go out of my door and hand them a bag to pick up their dogs business and you should see the looks I get . This one lady responded to me that "who was I the dog poop nazi ? " I said no I dont want your dogs business in my yard . she cursed me and left the street . I have not seen her since . guess it worked or she moved away .
Good one!!!!

Old 08-15-2009, 07:27 PM

2,242 posts, read 5,555,701 times
I live in a Chicago ghetto.

Old 03-22-2010, 01:15 PM

340 posts, read 550,502 times
Default Sunday Morning Comin' Down...literally

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinaE87 View Post
I just joined a Facebook Group called the No Poop Left Behind Act (http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=97789814091&ref=ts - broken link). Everyone should join! Let's get as many people to join as possible and get the word out that leaving behind dog poop is UNACCEPTABLE!!

What's you're worst poop encounter?
Thanks for the Facebook group link...I quickly joined. My worst poop encounter was stepping in it at my apartment complex on a Sunday morning. After taking the dogs back in (just the entryway), we headed to church. It was cold, so the floorboard heater was on. That's when I began to smell it. I was 15 minutes late for church while I scooted around out in the parking lot and in the bathroom with wet papertowels. Grrrrrrr

Old 03-23-2010, 08:41 AM

5,142 posts, read 11,472,752 times
I wanted to echo the sentiment of people thinking that if they see you out walking your dog that other dog poop belongs to your dog. There's a lot of stray dogs out in our apartment complex and it could be coming from any of those but folks don't think about that. There are no poop stations or anything but the complex is more than happy to take our deposits! The stations are inexpensive but then again, the grass is growing crazily high and what not.

Old 03-23-2010, 11:16 AM

9,355 posts, read 16,830,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarlaJane View Post
It's too bad that more people cannot tolerate dog excrement, as it is a natural fertilizer. And everyone who is picking up dog poop with those little baggies is contributing to unneccessary landfill (there are biodegradeable bags but very few people use them.)
I just think that getting upset about dog poop--and then banning dogs from areas b/c of it, etc.--is a complete waste of time and energy. The situation could very easily be remedied by people just watching where there are stepping. But heaven forbid a human should be considerate of other creatures who are inhabiting the planet. It's all about us and our stupid little pet peeves, isn't it?
Get a life and find something truly important to be upset about.

the bags i use are labeled biodegradable, so often, i would just throw them off into the woods when we were out in the park..... it is a river bottom flood plain, so the woods and brush are very dense ..... well, one day, i threw one towards the woods and it got caught on a tree branch..... it is still there, well over a month later.... saw it again just this morning..... if i could reach it, it would have been long gone ..... i'm thinking that these bags may not biodegrade as well as they would have us believe.....

and before y'all fuss at me for throwing poop in the woods, i don't do it any more ....since i realized that the bags don't degrade as quickly as i thought they would.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or