U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2009, 08:58 AM

17,336 posts, read 29,189,889 times

Advertisements

I had my doubts but this is like a miracle.

For the two years that Artie's been in my life, his stools have been soft. Even when I switched his food to grain-free -- and I do still believe that he is grain intolerant, even though the grains were not the reason for his stools' softness -- his poops were not quite firm.

When we went to the vet this past Saturday for his annual visit (and of course to find out why he had bits of blood in his stools), she told me to try, for a week, putting a teaspoon of Metamucil in his meals. I got the Metamucil on the way home and he had his first meal with it that evening.

I really had my doubts. The vet said that additional fiber -- even though I give him carrots, it's not enough -- was needed in his diet. But I know, for humans, that Metamucil is a laxative and if you're constipated, it will soften things up so that, well, you know.

So it didn't make sense that Metamucil would FIRM up Artie's stool. Yet I tried it.

It's a miracle powder, I tell you.

Since his first meal with the Metamucil, the guy has not had a soft poop. They've been good and firm -- not too firm; just right -- and not a speck of blood.

I'm thrilled, needless to say, that after two long years of trying to find a solution, it's something as simple as a little powder sprinkled onto his food. Aaaaaah!

Anyway, I thought I'd let you guys know about it in case any of you have the same problem, where change in diet (and even canned pumpkin) doesn't firm up the stool. Metamucil does! (Of course, if your dog has this problem, you should check with your vet before spreading the Metamucil around, but I wanted to share my two years of trial and error with you, with a successful resolution.)
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2009, 11:12 AM

947 posts, read 3,162,559 times
Glad that it works for you and Artie!!

I know it sounds weird, that it would make stools firm but it does.
I actually do not use any Metamucil, but, I actually just posted info about this in another post:
The aftermath of ACL Surgery

I use Psyllium Husk powder every day 2xs a day in wet food with a little added water...
Always normal BMs and no irritable bowels, when they have their bm it is solid, not little pieces...

anyway, I would suggest Not using Met. every day but yet this Psyllium Husk powder, it is natural, no added chemicals/colors great for long term use ...

I know I have posted about this Psyllium Husk powder before, it is for people too... anyway, has anyone used it... I think no one believes me... but hey, It IS Great!!!

Oh and actaully, I don't think it is that it makes you go, more than it just really gets you Regular!

Old 08-13-2009, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by need4Trees View Post
Glad that it works for you and Artie!!

I know it sounds weird, that it would make stools firm but it does.
I actually do not use any Metamucil, but, I actually just posted info about this in another post:
The aftermath of ACL Surgery

I use Psyllium Husk powder every day 2xs a day in wet food with a little added water...
Always normal BMs and no irritable bowels, when they have their bm it is solid, not little pieces...

anyway, I would suggest Not using Met. every day but yet this Psyllium Husk powder, it is natural, no added chemicals/colors great for long term use ...

I know I have posted about this Psyllium Husk powder before, it is for people too... anyway, has anyone used it... I think no one believes me... but hey, It IS Great!!!

Oh and actaully, I don't think it is that it makes you go, more than it just really gets you Regular!
Oh! So funny that you should mention that because I just now, not one minute ago, got off the phone with my vet asking if the citric acid in the Metamucil would cause a problem, since she believes that Artie should keep using the stuff indefinitely.

Psyllium was, in fact, the ingredient that she recommended to get Artie's stools firm. When I raised my eyebrows as if to ask "Silly what???," she said to get Metamucil.

Once we finish this HUGE thing of Metamucil, I will get the plain Pysillium Husk powder that you recommend. I saw the list of ingredients and there's no citric acid, nor any sucrose, both of which are in the Metamucil.

Thanks so much for the information.

The Psyillium is MAGIC. Seriously! He just had another firm poo and my neighbors think I'm nuts -- every time I see that his poo is solid (which is EVERY SINGLE TIME now), I'm screaming "Yay Artie! Great poo, buddy!"

Old 08-13-2009, 11:22 AM

Oh, I forgot to mention, now that we've crossed the first hurdle (firm poops), I'm hoping that, as a domino effect, it's going to resolve his need to have his anal sacs expressed a few times per year. I'm thinking that the consistent solid pooing is going to express them naturally. Totally a win-win situation if that's the case.

Old 08-13-2009, 11:35 AM

1,450 posts, read 3,918,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
I had my doubts but this is like a miracle.

For the two years that Artie's been in my life, his stools have been soft. Even when I switched his food to grain-free -- and I do still believe that he is grain intolerant, even though the grains were not the reason for his stools' softness -- his poops were not quite firm.

When we went to the vet this past Saturday for his annual visit (and of course to find out why he had bits of blood in his stools), she told me to try, for a week, putting a teaspoon of Metamucil in his meals. I got the Metamucil on the way home and he had his first meal with it that evening.

I really had my doubts. The vet said that additional fiber -- even though I give him carrots, it's not enough -- was needed in his diet. But I know, for humans, that Metamucil is a laxative and if you're constipated, it will soften things up so that, well, you know.

So it didn't make sense that Metamucil would FIRM up Artie's stool. Yet I tried it.

It's a miracle powder, I tell you.

Since his first meal with the Metamucil, the guy has not had a soft poop. They've been good and firm -- not too firm; just right -- and not a speck of blood.

I'm thrilled, needless to say, that after two long years of trying to find a solution, it's something as simple as a little powder sprinkled onto his food. Aaaaaah!

Anyway, I thought I'd let you guys know about it in case any of you have the same problem, where change in diet (and even canned pumpkin) doesn't firm up the stool. Metamucil does! (Of course, if your dog has this problem, you should check with your vet before spreading the Metamucil around, but I wanted to share my two years of trial and error with you, with a successful resolution.)

We had the ped tell us to do the exact same thing with our children. when they were about 2 they developed runny stools, tests revealed nothing wrong, no parasites, etc. doc told us to us metamucil, I mixed some up with orange juice, made a kind of gel, kids loved it. I called it poo glue. What came out was a formed stool as opposed to runny. Thanks for the reminder, my 12-year old son is now experiencing loose stool, will try this again, might be just the thing!

Old 08-13-2009, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Oh, I forgot to mention, now that we've crossed the first hurdle (firm poops), I'm hoping that, as a domino effect, it's going to resolve his need to have his anal sacs expressed a few times per year. I'm thinking that the consistent solid pooing is going to express them naturally. Totally a win-win situation if that's the case.

Yes, you got it! In the long run it is much better if they are able to be expressed during the pooping! less risks of problems.

I am kind-of against anal gland expression as a 1st decision/ trying to "fix" a "problem" expressing them, getting them expressed too often and/or too hard can cause Major problems, I have known that pressing too hard can rupture anal area and then very very painful... need surgery

most groomers, most places are suppose to do it, I always info owners that it is not always needed and cause a problem...
Also groomers are only "allowed" to do it Externally which means doing it that way may actually cause the need to do it more because it does Not get all of it out as Interanlly that the vets do...

anyway... anals and poop... the thrills og being a groomer!!!

glad to help for you and for Artie!!!

Old 08-13-2009, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by need4Trees View Post
Yes, you got it! In the long run it is much better if they are able to be expressed during the pooping! less risks of problems.

I am kind-of against anal gland expression as a 1st decision/ trying to "fix" a "problem" expressing them, getting them expressed too often and/or too hard can cause Major problems, I have known that pressing too hard can rupture anal area and then very very painful... need surgery

most groomers, most places are suppose to do it, I always info owners that it is not always needed and cause a problem...
Also groomers are only "allowed" to do it Externally which means doing it that way may actually cause the need to do it more because it does Not get all of it out as Interanlly that the vets do...

anyway... anals and poop... the thrills og being a groomer!!!

glad to help for you and for Artie!!!
I think having his anal sacs expressed hurt me more than it bothered him. Well, maybe not, but I hated putting him through that.

Honestly, I'm so happy right now. Go figure that a firm poop would make me want to cry with joy. Yet, it is.

Old 08-13-2009, 12:34 PM

1,280 posts, read 6,550,285 times
Quote:

Honestly, I'm so happy right now. Go figure that a firm poop would make me want to cry with joy. Yet, it is.
Yay Artie!!!!!

Old 08-13-2009, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kansas sky View Post
Yay Artie!!!!!
YAY is right!!!! It's taken me two years of vet visits to get the seemingly simple answer of Metamucil, instead of shrugs and "it's OK" when it, clearly, was not OK.

Thanks for your YAY!

Old 08-13-2009, 12:44 PM

Quote:
I think having his anal sacs expressed hurt me more than it bothered him. Well, maybe not, but I hated putting him through that.

You're Funny!
But Yes, it is a great thing, honestly, I would, (and have) be the same way!

He is sooo Cute!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs