Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2009, 11:28 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,596,323 times

Advertisements

Dog owners who spend many a stormy night struggling to get some sleep while a panting, drooling, trembling pet climbs around on top of them know that the fear of thunder can be a tricky problem to solve.

Got a dog who hates storms? Try ‘thunderwear’ - TODAY Pets & Animals
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2009, 08:34 AM

1,055 posts, read 4,921,342 times
Wonder if that would work for me.......

Old 08-14-2009, 09:38 AM

4,334 posts, read 13,661,904 times
I have been tossing around ordering one for one of my dogs. She woke me up at 2am the other night, scratching and digging at my head to hide hers from the storm. She more fears the lightening I think than the thunder. She will bark at the thunder but try and hide from seeing the lightening, so I do not know if it would work for her. She does start to stress out about a half hour or more before the storm actually hits.

Old 08-14-2009, 02:31 PM

3,513 posts, read 6,377,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondie621 View Post
I have been tossing around ordering one for one of my dogs.
Before you spend money on that try putting the dog in a simple Tee shirt. Pull it tight and tie a knot to keep it snug. Someone suggested it to me and it helped a lot with one of mine.

Many of our storms occur in the afternoon and since I'm retired I could gather up all the dogs, head for the bedroom and put in a DVD or video to create both light and sound to help offset the thunder and lightning. Sam was not then totally relaxed but it did help a great deal as he snuggled tight up against me and I could pet him while he hid his face under my arm.

Old 08-14-2009, 03:26 PM

4,334 posts, read 13,661,904 times
My one dog who is afraid of storms will claw her way thru a wood door to get to me if I am not around due to fear. Last week I had to run out and all of a sudden the dark clouds came over. By the time I got home she literally chewed chunks from one of my double full length glass doors. Today I just went in the laundry room to get her food while it was getting dark due to a storm and she scratched at the door pretty bad. I have had to leave doctors app. due to her fear.
So I cannot even lock her anywhere. I would even fear putting her in a crate, she is very strong and may get a paw caught or something. So I have to be a stay at home Mom for her.
Thanx Zugor, I will try the t/shirt idea.

Old 08-14-2009, 03:40 PM

4,941 posts, read 8,326,170 times
I have a chihuahua that is terrified of thunder. If it is a really bad storm, I will give him liquid Benadryl and it really helps to calm him down. I have also heard that warm milk helps.

Old 08-14-2009, 05:07 PM

3,513 posts, read 6,377,015 times
Dog Trainer Patricia McConnell has written 3 entries about dealing with thunder fear on her blog. The dates of the entries are May 4, May 8 and May 12,2009. They are long but worth the read.

Here's a link: 2009 May » TheOtherEndOfTheLeash

Last edited by zugor; 08-14-2009 at 06:25 PM..

Old 08-14-2009, 05:35 PM

8,440 posts, read 13,440,097 times
Lightbulb Consult your Veterinarian

Given the surgeries my cocker spanie has had, her DVMs have opted to use medication for thunderstorms and any excess anxiety. I was quite surprised, actually, at the range of options for a mild anti-anxiety medication to other agents that are stronger.

However, if you are new to the veterinary practice, I'd approach this issue of what you have seen in your pet. It's been my experience that two different DVMs in the same practice, but very, very different in where they previously practiced and other care they provide, had identical views about medication being appropriate to use during thunderstorms, fireworks, long-distance travel and other situations that may unduly stress a canine.

I don't want to give the impression my DVMs over-medicate in any way. These are two out of seven DVMs in a practice. I know at least one, if not two, DVMs in the same practice who would never consider this treatment. Experience, both on the part of the DVM and owner, probably plays a great roll in what may be prescribed.

My ultimate point is don't think you have to solve this very real situation on your own. Ask your veterinarian, if you aren't sure.

Good luck everyone finding what the right answer is for you and your "best friend."

MSR

Old 08-15-2009, 08:42 AM

5,324 posts, read 18,269,946 times
Interesting article. My Cleo is one who tries to seek safety under my head at night and she's 55 pounds

As one vet stated in the article, they've never seen a dog cured for their fears of thunderstorms. Reason is quite simple, you can not reason with a dog as you can (some) humans.

I did read once where jazz music tends to help soothe. If I am going to be away from the house and storms are predicted then I set my TV to the digital jazz channel

Best of luck in finding what helps your friend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs