U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2009, 10:55 AM

4,704 posts, read 10,126,357 times

Advertisements

You live in the bay area correct? Has he been to the beach lately? I know the water at the local beaches down here often have high bacterial counts or certain times a year the red tide ( which is an algae bloom that puts toxins in the water). People that let dogs swim in small lakes/ponds should be careful about algae too as it can make the water become a toxic soup.

Dash acts like you say Rudy is acting when he has had bad infections, be it nasal infections that he now gets due to his nasal cancer or the bladder infection he had years ago. With the bladder infection it had only been a day that he had not touched food and he was lethargic.He is a huge chow hound so I knew something was wrong , called the vet and the girls said "well one day of not eating is nothing to be worried about and you say he is pooping and peeing ok and not vomiting", I said "Hey we are taking about a dog that lives for food and the way he is just laying around is of major concern "so they went to speak with the vet ( who was booked for the day and no appointment times available) and he said tell her to get him in ASAP and leave him and I will look at him between patients. Sure enough he had a major bladder infection and was very sick and the vet told me it was a good thing I did get him in when I did. So you know your dog and when somethimg just does not feel right to you get it checked out.

I have had the same vet for years and he knows I know my dogs well so if I call and say something is wrong he has always found time to squeeze them in even if it means I have to drop them off for a few hours and so far I have been right every time which I do believe is a major reason he listens as he knows I do not call for little things that could wait.It is great to have a relationship like this with the vet.

I hope Rudy will be OK and is feeling better soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2009, 12:00 PM

29,041 posts, read 44,910,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dashdog View Post
You live in the bay area correct? Has he been to the beach lately? I know the water at the local beaches down here often have high bacterial counts or certain times a year the red tide ( which is an algae bloom that puts toxins in the water). People that let dogs swim in small lakes/ponds should be careful about algae too as it can make the water become a toxic soup.
I just got back from the vet, and that was exactly her thought! Rudy loves drinking from the flower pots out back, so it's very likely he got a bacterial infection. They kept him for X-rays and tests, so I'll know for sure later today (hopefully by 1-2pm). Luckily she didn't seem too concerned, since his energy was getting better after we arrived - he vomited twice right before heading to the vet, and that probably eased his tummy pain. His temperature was only slightly high, but his belly was very tender when she touched it, which is why they're doing X-rays. Keep your fingers crossed that it's nothing serious... here's what she suspects (which is easily treatable): Causes of Giardia in Dogs

Oh, and while I was there, I unfortunately witnessed a sad moment... this young couple had to bring in their ferret to be euthanized, and they were just heartbroken. The little ferret was SO cute, lifting his head to greet his daddy (when he came back into the lobby), even though you could tell it was a struggle. And when the vet tech came out to get them, she said "are you ready?" and the girl immediately burst into tears - which made me cry too. Reason #1 why I could never work at a vet's office or shelter...

Last edited by gizmo980; 08-15-2009 at 01:35 PM..

Old 08-15-2009, 01:05 PM

The vet just called me, thankfully earlier than expected - because I was already getting anxious! She said everything looked fine on the X-ray, no obstructions or obvious problems, and he tested negative for giardia. But she said his belly is "just on fire" and extremely tender, so her best guess is simply that he ate something bad... basically like food poisoning in humans. Anyway, he's resting at the vet since they gave him a mild sedative, and will be ready to go home around 4:30. She instructed me to have him fast until tomorrow morning, and then offer a bland diet & nausea meds for a few days. If things don't improve, we'll take things to the next step (barium ultrasound). But it looks like he'll probably be fine - WHEW!!! Thanks for the advice and I'm glad I took him, even though it's going to cost a pretty penny.

P.S. This actually gave me an excuse to try out a new vet, since I've been unhappy with my current one... and I must say, they were fabulous. I really loved the whole staff, especially the doctor who treated him (Herman) - so if anyone lives in San Francisco, I highly recommend All Pets Hospital on South Van Ness. Dr. Herman also treats snakes (I have Ball Pythons), so it looks like I found my new clinic!

Last edited by gizmo980; 08-15-2009 at 07:10 PM..

Old 08-15-2009, 05:15 PM

1,280 posts, read 6,126,605 times
Great news! It's so sad when they get a bad tummy ache like that. So glad to hear that he's on the mend and I'm sure he'll appreciate the anti-nausea meds.

Old 08-15-2009, 05:31 PM

4,033 posts, read 8,563,716 times
Have you looked at expiration dates on food and treats? Although I think that bad food would have caused diarrhea... honestly, it sounds like a poison or a toxin of some kind b/c of the vomiting. I would have your vet look into it, maybe with bloodwork?
Hopefully, it will pass through his system and he will be back to normal in a few days, poor fella ):

Old 08-15-2009, 06:41 PM

Thanks everyone! He's home now, and seems much better... still kind of loopy and tired (from the meds), but definitely getting back to his old self. I'm not sure what made him sick, and it's hard to tell when you have 3 roommates constantly feeding him table scraps. We're going to have to change that, and keep a better eye on his diet from now on.

P.S. The bill came out to a whopping $480... ouch, that's one expensive tummy ache! Maybe it's time to reconsider pet health insurance?

Last edited by gizmo980; 08-15-2009 at 07:12 PM..

Old 08-15-2009, 06:43 PM

19,813 posts, read 55,771,747 times
good news!

Old 08-15-2009, 07:37 PM

1,280 posts, read 6,126,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Thanks everyone! He's home now, and seems much better... still kind of loopy and tired (from the meds), but definitely getting back to his old self. I'm not sure what made him sick, and it's hard to tell when you have 3 roommates constantly feeding him table scraps. We're going to have to change that, and keep a better eye on his diet from now on.

P.S. The bill came out to a whopping $480... ouch, that's one expensive tummy ache! Maybe it's time to reconsider pet health insurance?
Def. time to talk with the roommates about table scraps. Imagine how bad it would have been if he'd gotten pancreatitis!

Old 08-15-2009, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kansas sky View Post
Def. time to talk with the roommates about table scraps. Imagine how bad it would have been if he'd gotten pancreatitis!
I know, huh? Although admittedly, I'm guilty of spoiling him too. He won't be happy about the change, but it's definitely time to be more strict about that! Btw, he's been fast asleep since we got home, but seems much more comfortable... he hasn't vomited, and drank a little water & peed a while ago.

Old 08-15-2009, 10:51 PM

4,628 posts, read 9,252,036 times
Thanks for the update, gizmo. I've been following this thread since your original post. It's so hard when they can't tell us what's wrong, isn't it? Glad Rudy's doing better - and so's his mom!

BTW, congratulations on finding a good vet. Having confidence in your doc sure takes away a lot of the anxiety. Have you actually looked into pet insurance? That's something I'll have to check in to...may be worth it in the long run.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs