Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2009, 10:03 AM

403 posts, read 1,563,248 times

Advertisements

OK - I need your expert advice. I HAVE to do this the right way. We love our dog and need to get him safely to our new home.

We are leaving Washington State and driving to North Carolina. He rides well in the truck for the most part, but tends to get motion sickness after awhile. I need to know the safest way to make this easier on him. We already plan on frequent stops for drinking and walking.

I have heard there are medicines that will help with the motion sickness, but what are they and how safe are they?

Thank you for all of your input!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2009, 10:08 AM

21,353 posts, read 8,447,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kc2sweet4ne1 View Post
OK - I need your expert advice. I HAVE to do this the right way. We love our dog and need to get him safely to our new home.

We are leaving Washington State and driving to North Carolina. He rides well in the truck for the most part, but tends to get motion sickness after awhile. I need to know the safest way to make this easier on him. We already plan on frequent stops for drinking and walking.

I have heard there are medicines that will help with the motion sickness, but what are they and how safe are they?

Thank you for all of your input!
You should phone your vet for solid information regarding this long trip and motion sickness meds. As a former army spouse, I can tell you, we traveled from Cape Cod to Kansas, from Kansas to NJ, from NJ to NH, and after being divorced, I've done 8 round trips from Florida to Cape Cod in the last 3 years... all with either two or three dogs, 2 cats, and a bird on some trips. lol

I've found it's not wise to let the dogs eat before we take off in the morning. Some water is okay, but not too much. When we stop for the night, they get to eat their grub. It's removed the motion sickness all together. The cat gets drugged with Acepromazine. Works like a charm. She sleeps the entire way.

Good luck! Let us know what you find out for info!

Old 08-15-2009, 11:30 AM

2,725 posts, read 5,978,830 times
Hi, I drove with my 3 dogs from the west coast to east coast, I was overly worried about driving this far, the dogs did fine and got with the program of eating and doing their business when we stopped at the rest stops, I think they did better than I driving in the car, I had to drive I-80, I stayed at best westerns, super 8's and motel 6's. The best westerns usually did not ask for a deposit, when I checked in I said I had a dog I didn't say 3 of them, a white lie but my dogs are well behaved and know to do their business outside, I only did one stop's at the motels plus I checked in around 7-8 pm and called in advance the prev day for the reservation, I sent for the motels book on all their locations course you can get that online also. I packed the SUV with minimal items so they would have room and had about 4 big jugs of water with me which I could fill at the motels or any resturant would fill them for me.

I liked Nebraska the best as far as eating for myself, Indiana was not pet friendly as to motels so I just slept in the back with the dogs that night.

Halfway, I needed to stop to clean out the car from pet hair etc and did a vacuum and had a few really long runs I attached to my vehicle, I went to car wash places in the smaller towns cause I did not want to be by a large highway just in case something would happen.

All in all it worked out great, a long time ago I used dramimine for my dog who always got car sick, it really worked. Don't forget to put any of your pets med's in the car with you. You can buy your dogfoods along the way to save some space in the car. I got off the road at alot of the Walmart supercenters just to get some fruit or a little something to eat along the way and I'd just stop and eat supper, also try to do your rest stops during the day before it gets dark at those large rest stops especially the little ones along the state highways, creepy at night.

When I parked for a rest at night I parked my vehicle a bit aways from the tractor trailers, if I parked by the people and cars my pets would get too excited and people would want to pet the dogs etc. The tractor trailers drivers are ususally quiet and are stopping to sleep, I can't thank them enough for helping me on the CB as to where to stop for good food

Hope this helps.

Old 08-15-2009, 11:47 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,932,494 times
Please tell me that your dog will be riding in the cab with you and NOT on the back. It is not only dangerous but extremely unhealthy for your dog to ride on the back of the truck.

Old 08-15-2009, 11:54 AM

Of course he will be up front. This is all about what is safe and best for him.

Thank you, rural.... those are good pieces of advice~!

Old 08-15-2009, 12:06 PM

12,054 posts, read 23,338,402 times
rural lady has given you excellent advice. The only thing that I would add is that you should have copies of all vaccinations and basic medical info in your glove box.

Old 08-15-2009, 01:07 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,802,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SXMGirl View Post
rural lady has given you excellent advice. The only thing that I would add is that you should have copies of all vaccinations and basic medical info in your glove box.
Good point! I moved from Miss. to UT with 2 dogs and 3 cats in my Accord. The dogs were fine and 2 of the cats were, also. On cat yowled for 3 hours straight then shut up. But none of them had ever exhibited being car-sick before.

I think your vet is the best one to advise you as those meds depend on weight for correct dose.

I used Motel 8s and had no problems. I ignored healthy eating and ate breakfast and lunch at fast-food places with a drive-up window. I had someone driving a truck for me, so at night I went out and brought back take-out form a nearby restaurant. I would have done another drive-up place if he hadn't been with me.

Old 08-15-2009, 01:55 PM

3,513 posts, read 6,373,551 times
I moved from Oakland, CA to VA and traveled with 4 big dogs, 1 cat in a rented RV for eleven days. The dogs were of course all used to riding so no problems with them. The cat got sedated the first day but seemed fine so I stopped using that medication. She was confined to the tiny bathroom since one of the dogs was a fairly new adoptee and had some issues with the cat.

My vet told me to use human dramamine from the drugstore if needed. I do a lot of animal rescue transport and also use it then if I have young dogs that I have overnighted at my place. I feed a very light meal as early as I and give them the dramamine in some cheese at least 1/2 hour before departure.

Bring enough dog food for the entire trip because you do not want to change their diet while on the journey.

Have a great trip.

Old 08-15-2009, 03:57 PM

Thank you all so much

Old 08-17-2009, 06:52 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,021,771 times
there is a website called dogfriendly.com that can give you tips on places to stop and/or stay along the way......

i have found in my travels around the midwest and to texas with bailey, that most human rest stops also have a doggie walk area...... just be careful where you step as many owners do NOT pick up after their pups..... guess they figure they can get away with it .......

also ..... most walmarts have a large grassy area to one or both sides that is perfect for a pottie break...... as do a lot of truck stops......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs