Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2009, 08:32 PM

1,928 posts, read 3,644,872 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyticalguy View Post
The vet had advised feeding him mixture of rice and hamburger, however that is all he will eat now. Ever since I got him back from the kennel after my trip, he has not been the same. If I put hamburger in with dry dog food he will eat that, picking it out from the rest. His normal food is Iams with a little bit of canned food that I mix in. He has been ignoring that. I heard a loss of appetite is one of the signs an old dog is shutting down. His energy seems to be about the same but mainly the diet. I do not know if he has a problem of concern or if he is just being fussy and spoiled.
Boy does your dog sound like mine! Hang in here with me. My husband and I moved from Ft. Lauderale to North Carolina two years ago with our then 18 year old mixed terrier mutt. He had health problems but the thing with him was if he was with us he was okay. Not long after we got moved in he started acted strangely at night. Wouldn't let us sleep kept trying to jump into the bed. We finally took him to the vet hoping for some mild tranquilizer for him but she diagnosed him with "doggie dementia". They had pills for that and after a few weeks he was fine on the medicine. Almost his old self. Last March he was diagnosed with a tumor growing from his liver into his abdomen. We don't know if it's cancer because the test would be too dangerous for him.
Anyway, a lot has gone on but one of the things was he stopped eating. We thought the tumor was getting close to his stomach. Other than the not eating he seemed okay for what was going on. He had been on a special food for years. We tried some chicken and rice and he ate it for a bit then stopped again. Finally the vet suggested just regular old can dog food ( he had been on dry). She thought that food and even the chicken and rice was too much for him to chew and digest. We now feed him Pedigree Ground Dinner twice a day in smaller portions and he has done fine with it. Started out slowly so not to upset his stomach. We do watch how much we feed him so his stomach will not get too big and come in contact with the tumor. Another thing the vet said was he was old and just like old people they don't act or eat like they used to. It's just part of the aging process.

So I would feed your dog what you have been as long as he eats. Check with your vet to make sure it's okay if it makes you feel better. At this age I don't think it would hurt the dog. You got him this far by doing the right things but when they get older sometimes you just have to get by the best you can.

As far as your move, it's a tough call. The difference with us and our old dog was we were around or one of us was around to be with him in the beginning and after we got his medicine straightened out. And because of our work schedules he is not alone for a very long time. Also he does have company with another dog and cat we have.

We never thought our dog would even be around when we started talking about moving. But he was and made it through. And he shouldn't be here now, but he is although I know the time is coming soon. And we are very aware of his quality of life and take it day by day.

If you decide to move and pick an area, check out vets. We live in a small town and have the best vet here. We board our other dog with her when we go away. Of course we take the old guy with us. And maybe see if you can be off a few weeks before you go to work and help him adjust. Perhaps a vet could help you find a dog walker to come in when you are at work. My daughter and son-in-law have one for when they go away and she also comes in if they are both stuck at work for too long. There are options out there.

I will tell you one thing. If you move and something should happen, don't ever think it's your fault. We worried over that, even this past summer when we took the dog on a trip with us. Our vet told he will go when it's his time. And at this stage of our dog's life, at least he would be with us if it happened on a vacation or a day long road trip. And if it happens when we are at work, at least is home. Or the other alternative, we will be with him. And he knows he is loved.

So best of luck in your decision. You will make the right choice for you both. Hope this long ramble helped in some way.

Forgot to add my dog also doesn't see well at all and the hearing isn't good either. Unless he thinks food is involved then he can find his way to his bowl.

Last edited by Catrick; 08-19-2009 at 08:57 PM.. Reason: old age and forgetfulness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2009, 08:48 PM

4,231 posts, read 15,423,079 times
Great advice from Catrick, some of which I'll keep in mind for my senior girl when we move, just wanted to add that would try nuking the food for 15 - 20 seconds and see if that works, his sense of smell is good so it might ;-)

Old 08-21-2009, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honeycrisp View Post
Great advice from Catrick, some of which I'll keep in mind for my senior girl when we move, just wanted to add that would try nuking the food for 15 - 20 seconds and see if that works, his sense of smell is good so it might ;-)
Great idea about nuking the food. I tried it last few nights and it was much easier for Ben to eat than when it's cold.

Thanks for the tip!

Old 08-21-2009, 12:37 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,029,210 times
warming the food a bit makes it smell a little stronger and thus more appealing to the doggies.....

Old 08-21-2009, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by latetotheparty View Post
warming the food a bit makes it smell a little stronger and thus more appealing to the doggies.....
Well it works on me so I don't see why it shouldn't work on the pets!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs