U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2009, 11:46 AM

14,334 posts, read 14,720,866 times
Question female in heat,how many days?

How long usually does the female stay in heat, she has been spotting a few days now...I read on wikinow, that it can last up to 20 days? Is that so?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2009, 12:05 PM

84 posts, read 132,744 times
The heat cycle lasts around 28 days, on average.

It consists of 3 parts, each of which lasts about a week on average. The first part lasts anywhere from 3-14 days during which a bloody discharge and swelling of the vaginal area are usually seen. Next the dog will become receptive to being bred and actively may seek out a male dog. This is the time when she can become pregnant. The discharge may change color at this time and become lighter. Finally, the discharge will become clearer, the vaginal swelling will diminish and the dog will no longer allow herself to be bred.

I do hope you are watching the dog while she is in heat to ensure she does not come into contact with any male dogs. Male dogs can detect a female in heat from very far away and will do almost anything to get into your yard. If there is no health concern for the dog, I also hope you plan to spay the dog as soon as the vet will allow it. Being in heat is uncomfortable for the dog. Spaying will also help prevent certain forms of cancer and other serious diseases.

Old 08-16-2009, 12:20 PM

Yes I am,she's separate from the male

Old 08-16-2009, 01:52 PM

Both the male and female should be spayed and neutered for their health and the welfare of homeless animals.

Old 08-16-2009, 02:12 PM

5,045 posts, read 9,288,115 times
Do believe the critical time period is 4-5 days for actual conception.

Neighbor dog has 4 pups twice a yr...last 6-7 yrs. They make NO effort to watch her (here in Baja)

When a dog or two or more come around...time to keep her closed up away from the males.

Time period for the next door dog has been the 4-5 days of hanging around and then they all split.

I have two... a father and son dogs. Junior went out once and was gone 5 days...came back skinny as heck...beat looking and starved. His father smelled all over him so I know junior was into mischief.

Old 08-16-2009, 04:44 PM

3,456 posts, read 4,441,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walla450 View Post
Both the male and female should be spayed and neutered for their health and the welfare of homeless animals.
This is not true. Many researchers and veterinarians are discovering that spaying can have very severe consequences for female dogs, especially if done when they are too young.
There is no reason to spay a female dog if she is going to be bred or if a responsible pet owner is going to ensure that she not become unintentionally pregnant.
I have an eight-year-old GSD who is not spayed and who has never been impregnated. Not every person who has an unaltered pet is irresponsible and contributing to the shelter population. I take severe offense at being lumped in with irresponsible pet owners. Furthermore, I take offense at someone telling me what is best for my pet.
There are some animals--including my GSD--who have actually benefited wrt their health b/c they have not been altered. In fact, in many Scandinavian countries, animals are only altered when there is a potential health risk--the exact opposite of what is done here, and advocated, in the United States. Altering an animal is not always the best decision for the animal.
If you want to alter your pets, then by all means, please do so. But to preach to someone else how to take care of their animals--or how to live any part of their life, for that matter--is completely disrespectful. Furthermore, it has nothing to do with the OP's original question.

Old 08-16-2009, 04:51 PM

3,456 posts, read 4,441,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
How long usually does the female stay in heat, she has been spotting a few days now...I read on wikinow, that it can last up to 20 days? Is that so?
It usually lasts for three weeks. I put a diaper on my dog to avoid blood spots and smears all over the house.
If you do not intend to breed her, keep her very securely locked up. Unaltered male dogs will be able to smell her from a long way off, and they can be persistent and adament in wanting to get at her, especially when she is young. The diaper will also help if she escapes by accident, as it will not allow a male to penetrate as long as it stays on her.
You can also buy a special spray that acts as a deterrent; I believe that it masks the smell that unaltered male dogs find so enticing. Furthermore, if there is an "accident" (i.e. she is accidentally bred), then there is a shot that the vet can give her, but it has to be given within 48 hours.

Old 08-16-2009, 05:17 PM

Thank you:she has her own pen that is a private entrance to the house, she is very safe but thanks so much,so many helpful posts; she was spotting since last week,it seems tro be tapering off

Old 08-16-2009, 05:36 PM

4,361 posts, read 8,051,273 times
3 weeks
I got the cutest hand made doggie diaper for my 50lb lab. I cannot spay her due to her heart condition.

Old 08-16-2009, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarlaJane View Post
This is not true. Many researchers and veterinarians are discovering that spaying can have very severe consequences for female dogs, especially if done when they are too young.
There is no reason to spay a female dog if she is going to be bred or if a responsible pet owner is going to ensure that she not become unintentionally pregnant.
I have an eight-year-old GSD who is not spayed and who has never been impregnated. Not every person who has an unaltered pet is irresponsible and contributing to the shelter population. I take severe offense at being lumped in with irresponsible pet owners. Furthermore, I take offense at someone telling me what is best for my pet.
There are some animals--including my GSD--who have actually benefited wrt their health b/c they have not been altered. In fact, in many Scandinavian countries, animals are only altered when there is a potential health risk--the exact opposite of what is done here, and advocated, in the United States. Altering an animal is not always the best decision for the animal.
If you want to alter your pets, then by all means, please do so. But to preach to someone else how to take care of their animals--or how to live any part of their life, for that matter--is completely disrespectful. Furthermore, it has nothing to do with the OP's original question.
Notice, I said the OP should have the dog spayed when her vet will allow it. By that I meant when the dog is of the proper age and health to be spayed. At least, any good vet will not allow a dog to be vetted until it is of proper age and health. Perhaps you did not read my first post in this thread.

I am heavily involved in the rescue world. Believe me, the consequences of not spaying far outweigh those of spaying. Spaying is very safe when done at the proper time by a capable vet. Maybe the day you have an unspayed dog die in your arms from ovarian cancer because she was not spayed you'll understand. No animal should have to go through that. Yes, there are health risks to spaying and neutering. It's important to remember that the health risks of altering your dog are things that happen in a very very small number of animals anyway.

There is plenty of reason to spay a female dog, even if she will not be bred and is never allowed in contact with a male. 1) Most people cannot watch their unspayed dog every moment she is outside. Some people have enclosures which prevent other dogs from getting in, but many people do not. 2) It is uncomfortable for the dog to be in heat. 3) It greatly reduces the chances for some forms of cancer and other serious diseases. That is reason enough for me.

Some animals cannot and should not be spayed/neutered for medical reasons, but most can and should be spayed and neutered safely. You will also notice I told the OP that she should get the dog spayed "if there is no health concern for the dog." For most normal, healthy dogs, there is no real health concern. Like I said above, the health risks of altering are not very dramatic and pretty rare.
I'm not telling you what to do. You are free to do what you want. I just wish everyone would spay and neuter their animals. Again, I'm heavily involved in animal rescue. I deal with the consequences of un-spayed and un-neutered animals every day.

I never called anyone an irresponsible pet owner. It's great that you watch your dog. Thanks for being responsible on that front. Unfortunately, many people say they will watch their dog at all times, but they simply cannot or do not. I'm not saying you won't watch yours or that you don't have a proper enclosure for you. I commend those who do. Dogs in heat can just be pretty motivated and tricky!

I don't care if anyone here feels I'm being disrespectful. Did I say "everyone must get their animals altered, no matter what!" No, I didn't. I was advising the OP that their dogs should be altered. I didn't say they had to. I said I hoped they would do it. I also gave several reasons. You might be well informed about some things, but many people are not. I don't know the OP or how informed he/she is. Again, I'm really involved in the rescue world and it's my mission to educate about and promote spay/neuter. Perhaps the OP isn't aware of certain aspects of altering. This is a public forum for sharing information and opinions. I was not being disrespectful to anyone.

Finally, I also feel it is my duty to at least recommend spay/neuter when anything about an unaltered animal is mentioned. I'm free to do so, and I will continue doing it until I don't have to take in any more animals from the street or pound.

Last edited by Walla450; 08-16-2009 at 06:32 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs