U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 08-17-2009, 01:23 PM
 
2 posts, read 11,163 times
Reputation: 11

Advertisements

Hi all,
I am new here and thought I would pose a question along with my introduction... I am a designer in the Central Vally/ Sacramento area of California. I currently have an interior design client with Yorkies who clearly have either Seperation Anxiety or boredom issues that manifest themselves in massive amounts of chewing of walls and baseboards. Now as a dog lover who is currently owned by 3 longhair dachshunds I am fully aware that the real solution to the problem is training and behavior modification, with a vet checkup for vitamin and mineral deficincies, but in this instance after making those recommendations, there is not much more I can do about that as the designer. So my question is this. Has anyone come up with creative solutions to wall chewing?? Short of cladding the wall in steel, (which I have considered) I am looking for something that might fit into a non warehouse type space!!!
Thanks so much and I am happy to have found this forum!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-17-2009, 02:32 PM
 
7,079 posts, read 34,459,029 times
Reputation: 4036
How about giving them something they CAN chew? Do you have kong toys? They come in various sizes.

I use plain, non-fat yogurt and fill a kong toy for every day of the week, heaping the yogurt up like an ice cream cone, put the kongs in the freezer door shelf and freeze them solid. My dog gets one frozen one when I leave for work every morning.

I also put some of the yogurt in a sieve set over a bowl overnight in the refrigerator so that it thickens up and use that for the very bottom of the kong (so nothing leaks from the hole) and use it also to pile up at the larger end because it's nice and thick and non-runny.

These keep my dog occupied - for a LONG time!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-17-2009, 03:09 PM
 
Location: Visitation between Wal-Mart & Home Depot
8,309 posts, read 34,294,615 times
Reputation: 7073
Quote:
Originally Posted by artfulhome View Post
Hi all,
I am new here and thought I would pose a question along with my introduction... I am a designer in the Central Vally/ Sacramento area of California. I currently have an interior design client with Yorkies who clearly have either Seperation Anxiety or boredom issues that manifest themselves in massive amounts of chewing of walls and baseboards. Now as a dog lover who is currently owned by 3 longhair dachshunds I am fully aware that the real solution to the problem is training and behavior modification, with a vet checkup for vitamin and mineral deficincies, but in this instance after making those recommendations, there is not much more I can do about that as the designer. So my question is this. Has anyone come up with creative solutions to wall chewing?? Short of cladding the wall in steel, (which I have considered) I am looking for something that might fit into a non warehouse type space!!!
Thanks so much and I am happy to have found this forum!
Try eliminating "outside" corners. I dare ya'.

Designing a kennell into the room would be another good solution. Seriously, crate trained dogs will often housebreak themselves, behavior modify themselves, they do not destroy your furniture, baseboards and sheetrock, they do not toilet paper your house and they do not injure themselves chewing through lamp cords.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-17-2009, 03:12 PM
 
Location: Visitation between Wal-Mart & Home Depot
8,309 posts, read 34,294,615 times
Reputation: 7073
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viralmd View Post
I also put some of the yogurt in a sieve set over a bowl overnight in the refrigerator so that it thickens up and use that for the very bottom of the kong (so nothing leaks from the hole) and use it also to pile up at the larger end because it's nice and thick and non-runny.
If you were to mix that drained yogurt with a couple of cloves of mashed roasted garlic, about 1/4 cup of finely chopped cilantro, about a 1/4 cup of diced and seeded fresh tomato, a tablespoon of lime juice, 2 teaspoons of cumin, salt and black pepper to taste you would have a wonderful drizzle for a tenderloin and arugula pita sandwich.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-17-2009, 03:15 PM
 
Location: Chicago, IL
725 posts, read 2,564,545 times
Reputation: 581
My chihuahua/papillon mix did the same thing!!! Our bathroom was pretty much destroyed: Door trim completely chewed through, door scratched, needed to patch areas of the wall with dry-wall on four different walls... sigh. He also has torn up carpet by the front door...

We spoke to our trainer about this and she recommended a few things... giving them things to play with... specifically a kong or puzzle-type toys... we tried that but it didn't last very long. I think he loses his interest quickly. (I've also read to give them a specific toy only when you are going to leave. Once you return home, take the toy away)...

We have also tried some bitter-apple spray but that didn't quite work, I think he actually liked the stuff.

Other suggestions were to buy this pheromone diffuser but that was around $50...

We also received some help from another trainer who said that we really need to work on making them know we are coming back... this might be hard to explain online... but the example she gave was to act like we were leaving... close the door (or turn a corner, or whatever) and come right back... and gradually making the length of time longer and longer... we never got around to doing this so I don't know how effective it will be... maybe someone else can chime in...

But I would also like to see what other suggestions the forum has
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-19-2009, 06:08 AM
 
Location: Kenmore, WA
7,455 posts, read 6,446,546 times
Reputation: 10797
All the posts so far have covered the advice to the owners, but for you -- all I can see is that you design the interior to their requests, and provide the disclaimer that until they address the dog's behavior issues, you cannot warranty the design to be dog-proof.

(Biting my tongue from comment about ill-informed pet owners.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-04-2009, 05:20 PM
 
2 posts, read 11,163 times
Reputation: 11
Thanks for the responses guys... I have not truly found any brilliant design solutions for the problem and am continuing to encourage them to focus of training an behavior modification for these little rascals. They clearly suffer from boredom and seperation anxiety and those are pretty straightforward types of issues. Not easy ones by any means, but at least there are solutions for those problems and hopefully my beautiful walls and baseboards will get to stay that way...
I am putting up the industrial hard rubber Hospital type corners everywhere to "help" them not chew while they go through their training. Maybe one day we can take them off. sigh...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-04-2009, 05:28 PM
 
25,953 posts, read 26,676,581 times
Reputation: 26711
All of the legs on my furniture are metal including the sofa to keep the dogs from chewing on the furniture. Any way you can be very creative with some type of metal baseboards in the main living area - they can close the doors in other rooms - I've seen some done in a stainless or brushed steel to a painted multi colored rusted look?

Rule of thumb tho - if you don't want the dog to chew on something immediately exchange it with something he/she can. Like one chew traded for a bone. Also, it's never the dog's fault - whatever they have access to is the owner's fault.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-04-2009, 11:48 PM
 
Location: Southeast Idaho
4,654 posts, read 15,737,854 times
Reputation: 2502
Take a look at one of the large kennel manufacturing companies, like Snyder for instance and see if the walls can be made of the same material. We use exactly that at the kennel I've worked at for seven years now, the business has been there for over 10 years and no damage even with the most anxious of dogs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-05-2009, 04:40 AM
 
25,953 posts, read 26,676,581 times
Reputation: 26711
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleosmom View Post
Take a look at one of the large kennel manufacturing companies, like Snyder for instance and see if the walls can be made of the same material. We use exactly that at the kennel I've worked at for seven years now, the business has been there for over 10 years and no damage even with the most anxious of dogs.
Yes! Get creative with a residential application of an industrial product. Think outside the box.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:51 PM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top