Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2009, 09:10 PM

1,490 posts, read 4,180,831 times

Advertisements

Anyone have any advice for a dog that barks in the back of the truck.

The situation is if I am near him - knows better won't bark. He is a border collie - used to being in the truck. He is in an enclosed canopy in the back now vrs no canopy. Will never get out of the truck without permission. I have been traveling and it is getting soo bad. If he sees a bicycle or skateboarder, dog, or someone comes too close to the truck then it is "Bang Bang Bang" on the back window of canopy - literally has reuined the locks for the canopy... he has sprained his ankle by hitting the window so hard. Scares people to death! If they came up to him he would only lic them.

When I leave the truck and him in it I can come out of a place and back window wide open... again he knows not to get out - but then barks at the people walking by.

So then I decided to cross tie in front of the bed of the truck - he was used to it before the canopy. While doing that he is now banging on the side of canopy and side windows. I can't tie him any tighter and windows all around the canopy.

Yes he gets plenty of excersize, but if he isn't exhausted,which lasts not too long with a young border collie he will bark and bang while sitting/waiting. He has been to 8 states this year and drove the Alcan last week to Alaska. Raised in the truck used to go to work with me all day - he is 4 nuetered. He doesn't do any other destructive manners. I do not have an alternative while traveling other than the truck. He is used to being with me 24/7 for the last year. This has all started with the canopy before just in the back he didn't do this behavior.

Bought a shock collar and about to do that unless someone else has any other ideas? Thanks for any advice!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2009, 05:08 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,930,883 times
Please don't put your dog in the back of the truck. I won't describe to you the horror I saw with a dog in the back of a truck once. Suffice it to say it was gruesome and something I will never forget. Put him in the cab with you.

Old 08-15-2009, 07:08 AM

4,585 posts, read 12,361,093 times
Viralmd, I think she said he's in a canopy/camper type cover in the back of the truck. I'd still secure him with a harness and tie like you can in a backseat situation.

Having a truck is a pain with dogs sometimes, I have a full size PU and my crate lives on the front seat so there is NO room for anything else. But I have a bench seat and it wouldn't work if I had bucket seats.

I'd look into some training with a dog behaviorist. Sometimes re-training like that takes more than one person to do it.

Good luck

Old 08-15-2009, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReturningWest View Post
Having a truck is a pain with dogs sometimes, I have a full size PU and my crate lives on the front seat so there is NO room for anything else. But I have a bench seat and it wouldn't work if I had bucket seats.

I'd look into some training with a dog behaviorist. Sometimes re-training like that takes more than one person to do it.

Good luck
Thanks - and yes it is bucket seats so that is out for a crate - won't fit. Hate to crate him the entire time - but that maybe the answer at the moment in the back. Yes he is enclosed in truck not loose there is a canopy/cover over the bed. The front cab window is removed for plenty of air. He can stand up and move around on his futon/bed and be able to watch down the road. If in front of truck he can't move around he is a "big" Border Collie.

Even if I left him in the front of cab he would be pounding on the windows there. I am most worried of going through a window if it continues.

Guess I will be looking for a dog trainer...know one in Washington - not so much in Alaska.

Old 08-16-2009, 11:01 AM

1,667 posts, read 9,379,027 times
Obviously, your dog doesn't like being forced from his home and left in a vehicle. Most dogs don't like that. Border Collies normally stay on farms unrestrained because they like their home and don't like to leave. You say he doesn't get in truck without permission. In actuality, he doesn't want to, but takes your permission as an order and is trying to please you. As opposed to restraining him or shocking him, just leave him home where's he's comfortable. Sounds painfully obvious that's what he wants and is trying to tell you, but you are refusing to see the signs and insist on dragging him with you. Sorry to sound curt, but not all dogs like to travel.

Old 08-17-2009, 11:46 AM

91 posts, read 315,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ESFP View Post
Obviously, your dog doesn't like being forced from his home and left in a vehicle. Most dogs don't like that. Border Collies normally stay on farms unrestrained because they like their home and don't like to leave. You say he doesn't get in truck without permission. In actuality, he doesn't want to, but takes your permission as an order and is trying to please you. As opposed to restraining him or shocking him, just leave him home where's he's comfortable. Sounds painfully obvious that's what he wants and is trying to tell you, but you are refusing to see the signs and insist on dragging him with you. Sorry to sound curt, but not all dogs like to travel.
Did you read the OP?

She said the dog won't get out of the truck without permission.
She also said that the behavior has not been a constant while being in the bed of the truck it only began after she put the shell on it.

My dog (a terrier/chihuahua mix) has the same behavior in the cab. He attempts to attack anything and everything that moves. I've tried all kinds of things. Giving him an antler or something else that lasts a long time to chew on; toys; putting our other dog in the same crate. Nothing helps. I hope someone can give you some good input that I can try too.

Old 08-17-2009, 06:36 PM

Thanks sray017. And Thanks for "reading" my question..he has the toys and had to leave the bones out now with all the bears. Chew toys.

And by the way ESFP my dog "lives" to be in the truck - hang his head out the window. Only thing he is happier is chasing something. The truck is his moving dog house. He even chooses to hang out in the truck at home. If I ever do leave him at home he thinks he is being punished. He is used to going everywhere with me.

Old 08-17-2009, 07:18 PM

9,912 posts, read 13,896,840 times
Is it possible that the canopy has changed the acoustics and is possibly amplifying outside noises?

I wonder if perhaps some kind of sound proofing of the area might help?

Old 08-17-2009, 07:57 PM

uhmmm didn't think about that possibility? It is a Leer canopy that is lined. I will check that out.. slept in the back before didn't really notice more noise.
Thanks

Today I took him out to a restaurant, parked him by the front - side door allowed me to sneak outside wait while all the tourists walked by. Figured I could catch him doing it and correct him. Little turkey must have known I was there even though I thought I hid well enough. Did nothing. Tried this for an hour.

Then go into Safeway for 5 minutes... come out.. back window popped open and him laying on his bed in front.

Old 08-17-2009, 08:20 PM

9,912 posts, read 13,896,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwcountrygal View Post
uhmmm didn't think about that possibility? It is a Leer canopy that is lined. I will check that out.. slept in the back before didn't really notice more noise.
Thanks
No worries. The only reason I mentioned it is because my mutt had to wear one of those Elizabethan type collar type things for a little while to stop him chewing on himself and he'd been really mild mannered till the collar went on and then he was barking at a pin dropping. So I figured it messed with his hearing somehow either amplified it or changed it somehow. I guess that got me noticing how changes to his hearing affect his behaviour. Might not be that it's more noise, could be that it's "different" sounding to him and he's confused or anxious to a "threat".

Quote:
Today I took him out to a restaurant, parked him by the front - side door allowed me to sneak outside wait while all the tourists walked by. Figured I could catch him doing it and correct him. Little turkey must have known I was there even though I thought I hid well enough. Did nothing. Tried this for an hour.
LOL!!! Guess you needed to stand downwind?

Quote:
Then go into Safeway for 5 minutes... come out.. back window popped open and him laying on his bed in front.
We'll he's keeping you on your toes at least!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs