U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2009, 01:26 PM

5,812 posts, read 16,619,684 times

Advertisements

Our chihuahua has been farting horrendously all day. I hate to push her away, but I just can't take it anymore. Wherever we are she's farting away. She ate grass today. I don't know if that has anything to do with it.

Can anything be done about a farting dog, other than just kicking them off the couch? Have you had similar experiences?

Thanks.

I hate to kick her off the couch because she gives me that "what did I do?" look.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2009, 01:45 PM

1,688 posts, read 6,883,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STLCardsBlues1989 View Post

Can anything be done about a farting dog,
It sounds as if your dog has a food intolerance going on. While all dogs might toot every now and then (and you've got to love it when they sniff the air appreciatively ), it shouldn't be constant.

If the dog is on a "regular" food, you can first try switching to a grain-free product such as Taste of the Wild or Wellness Core or any of the myriad of grain-free foods available - wet or dry. Nine times out of ten, this will cure the problem.

If the dog is already on grain-free and it's still this gassy... then you have to start trying to isolate the ingredient that is causing this. It's just a bit of trial and error, but by no means impossible.

The grass eating is a symptom of an unhappy tummy... - it's all part and parcel of the same problem. You could use homeopathic remedies for immediate relief, but I would strongly suggest an immediate change of diet.

Old 08-17-2009, 01:57 PM

761 posts, read 3,034,154 times
Our dog has been ripping quite often too, we are going to switch food, the lady at the vet store said to make sure that corn isn't in the first 4 ingredients (which the food we have now has two types of corn in the first 4)!

I thought I smelled the worst things in life already, but man can Chester rip em.

Old 08-17-2009, 03:42 PM

19,814 posts, read 55,781,243 times
Definitely an upset tummy! Check food and maybe limit outside time to when you can watch them to make sure nothing bad is being chewed up!

Old 08-17-2009, 03:54 PM

13,773 posts, read 33,831,619 times
I agree with be sure you are feeding good food not one filled with grain.

You can also put a little plain yogurt. My one rescue dog had those problems and a little yogurt for the week fixed her right up.

Old 08-17-2009, 08:36 PM

2,707 posts, read 5,351,173 times
In addition to switching to a grain-free food, mix some plain yogurt into her kibble. Also, you could add some fresh chopped parsley as well. (There's no hard and fast rule about the amount. I add a hefty dollop of yogurt and maybe a 1/2 teaspoon to 1 teaspoon of parsley.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs