U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2009, 08:32 PM

354 posts, read 1,085,063 times

Advertisements

Pet Insurance? I know I would have come out way ahead in the early years with some of that because of our risky behavour hiking the desert. But after the crazy years pass I think you would do as well or better by saving your money for the day you might need it. My best friend passed in her sleep last April after an evening at the park and walk around the neighborhood. I had no idea it might be our last day together. We should all be so lucky.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2009, 08:36 PM

5,357 posts, read 9,825,022 times
Yes, I agree with the previous poster. I'd like my dog to live forever and want to keep him comfortable and free of pain, but I also don't believe in extraordinary measures to keep him--or me alive--past our "use by date."

My vet seems to love expensive tests to tell us what's already clear...my dog is elderly and has symptoms related to being so...such as weakening hind quarters, arthritic hips...I've had elderly dogs and cats before so this, unfortunately, isn't a new experience...doesn't make it any easier, though, does it?

Old 08-17-2009, 08:45 PM

2,707 posts, read 5,351,173 times
I don't think a pet is a "luxury" item, but I also think a person shouldn't own a pet unless he is prepared for the cost of owning that animal for the DURATION of the animal's life. At the very least, I think a dog is probably going to cost $500 per year...for food, treats, basic shots and preventative. And that's on the low range. The bigger the dog, the bigger the expense. And if the animal turns out to have any kind of special needs, well...the cost of pet-ownership just went up.

I figured out that last year my dog cost me about $2,000 all together for food, vet bills, medicine, shots, etc. He's epileptic, and last year he had another health issue that cost a lot to diagnose and treat. This year he hasn't cost me nearly that much. (Knock on wood!)

Still, for me personally, a dog is a necessity, not a luxury. For my psychological well-being and happiness, I have to have a dog. Period. I know this about myself, and I budget accordingly.

Old 08-18-2009, 07:46 AM

1,501 posts, read 5,181,065 times
While I think a pet is more a priveledge than luxury, I think there is much more out there these days which makes it prudent for us to do our research as though our pet was an extremely expensive luxury. IMO, it is a necessity now to do so.

We do our research on vacations; fancy TVs; gadgets and of course cars. And if we are more choosy about care and maintenance-a mechanic for whether our BMW, Rolls or Volvo, odds are it will run smoother.

Unfortunately, some vets out there are like a real bad mechanic, yet we don't give it one thought while we wouldn't hesitate to scour for a better mechanic. If we examined the ingredients, for example, in those "special foods" they endorse and sell us, it's no wonder the vet bills and seemingly endless problems are making our pets more expensive than maintaining a Bentley or Rolls Royce when we are doing the equivalent of putting sugar in the gas tanks & bananas in their tailpipes.

Old 08-19-2009, 06:17 AM

7,458 posts, read 6,447,750 times
Sadly, I have to agree. While preparing to adopt our latest addition, I found several shelters providing the responsible question: Can you afford your companion? with the costs associated for each type. From our own budget reports of years gone by, the estimates provided were all LOW. The costs seem to increase with the life of the animal.

I am considering vet insurance, but have not decided, yet. Still, at $10/mo that is expensive over the life expectancy for someone on a tight budget.

Given the health benefits of having a companion, one might wish for a tax-deduction for at least one companion, but I doubt we'll see that happen!

Old 08-19-2009, 06:41 AM

809 posts, read 145,631 times
If you want unconditional love, get a pet! If you want luxury, get a "Vet"!

Old 08-19-2009, 07:44 AM

1,280 posts, read 6,127,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkie4Life View Post
If you want unconditional love, get a pet! If you want luxury, get a "Vet"!
Wow. Really? So the pet loves you unconditionally and you ignore his or her health?

Old 08-19-2009, 02:11 PM

718 posts, read 1,799,044 times
Having owned, bred, trained, field-trialed and shown dogs my entire adult life, I find their symptoms not unlike those of humans. They ache, they get infections, they have skin irritations and accidents. All need to be treated...some by me, some by the vet. I am intelligent enough to determine either case. I didn't rush my children to the doctor with every symptom and they are thriving, healthy adults today and I treat my 4 legged children just the same. You should know something about an animal before you bring it home. Just my opinion, however.

Old 08-19-2009, 02:30 PM

400 posts, read 1,106,370 times
The canine love of my life lived to be 14, he was a husky/lab and I adopted him from a shelter, cost me $50 to adopt. By the time I lost him (including cost of euth. and cremation) I had invested well over $3000, not including everyday stuff like treats, food, toys. Thing was, mostly he was healthy, just reckless. Chasing and running into stuff, needing stitches, etc..... The older he got though, we had to have several cancer surgeries.

Here's how I see it though......He was worth millions to me and I would have paid any amount to keep him healthy and young and with me for MY entire life.
I feel so fortunate..... I first met him when he was 3 days old and I was there when that wonderful soul left this earth.......that was my "luxury".

Old 08-19-2009, 03:03 PM

809 posts, read 145,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kansas sky View Post
Wow. Really? So the pet loves you unconditionally and you ignore his or her health?

Nope, KS, I meant a CORvette! Sorry for the confusion!

I firmly believe if you have pets, take good care of them, even if it means sacrificing something for yourself.

I agree with SD also. You cannot place a monetary value on the kind of love a pet offers.

Last edited by Arkie4Life; 08-19-2009 at 03:13 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or