U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2009, 04:38 PM

5,348 posts, read 9,801,395 times

Advertisements

Having racked up some high vet bills lately, what with office visits, medications, vaccinations and special foods (and having turned down more testing and x-rays), I'm beginning to think that pet ownership is quickly approaching a luxury rather than a common, everyday kind of lifestyle.

This makes me sad.

What do you think? Where's pet ownership heading--will it be only for the well-to-do pretty soon?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2009, 05:26 PM

12,054 posts, read 20,172,035 times
Everyone has choices to make. I prefer to have pets and give them a good home. My responsibility is to make sure that they have the best care that I can provide, just like kids. That might mean that I do without something else. Since it has been shown that people with pets have lower blood pressure and usually live longer, I would go with pets instead of something else. Therefore, it would seem that pet ownership should be for all income levels as it could cut down on your medical bills.

Old 08-17-2009, 06:06 PM

4,033 posts, read 8,547,644 times
I don't think that the term "luxury item" is how I would best describe pet ownership; I think "privilege" or "responsibility" are more appropriate terms.
Owning dogs and cats of certain breeds and weights are definitely going to become privileges for a select few (if they are not already) as many apartments, counties and even countries will not allow certain breeds of dogs or dogs that are heavier than a given weight limit, which means that home ownership or rediency in specific areas are a requirement for owning those animals. It also costs more to register unaltered animals. Moreover, horse ownership is (and has always been) a privilege, as it is very costly to keep and maintain a horse.
However, I equate pet ownership with many other privileges and responsiblities, especially having children (although even I will contend that it is easier to have children than it is to own, say, a pitbull, which is strange) or owning a home/car. It certainly is easier to be financially stable in all of those scenarios but it has not become a requirement.

Old 08-17-2009, 06:25 PM

4,551 posts, read 10,161,625 times
Ditto Starla Jane.

Old 08-17-2009, 07:01 PM

4,651 posts, read 15,716,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
Having racked up some high vet bills lately, what with office visits, medications, vaccinations and special foods (and having turned down more testing and x-rays), I'm beginning to think that pet ownership is quickly approaching a luxury rather than a common, everyday kind of lifestyle.

This makes me sad.

What do you think? Where's pet ownership heading--will it be only for the well-to-do pretty soon?
Have you looked into pet insurance?

Old 08-17-2009, 07:04 PM

603 posts, read 1,750,903 times
I feel your pain with the veterinary prices.They are out of control.Some vets by me charge $80.00 just for an exam.Its insane.I get vaccines done at my job(shelter) and only take my guys in if something goes wrong.Its just too expensive.

Old 08-17-2009, 07:25 PM

5,348 posts, read 9,801,395 times
No, I won't get pet insurance, I'm plain tired of supporting the insurance industry...besides, my dog is almost 12, I imagine the premiums would be kind of high, just as mine go up with every birthday...

Old 08-17-2009, 07:39 PM

24,843 posts, read 32,246,726 times
Hint, if you have a business, use your pet in your ads. It makes 100% write off of all expenceses.

Old 08-17-2009, 07:43 PM

1,450 posts, read 3,778,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
No, I won't get pet insurance, I'm plain tired of supporting the insurance industry...besides, my dog is almost 12, I imagine the premiums would be kind of high, just as mine go up with every birthday...

We took out pet insurance on our cat when he was younger, its allowing us to treat him now that he's old with multiple issues. It doesn't pay the whole bill, like any insurance, it has its limitations, but without it our only choice would be to have him PTS.

Old 08-17-2009, 08:22 PM

354 posts, read 1,082,781 times
It may be you love and enjoy them through their youth and adulthood but as their health declines and you can not find the money for all the veterinary interventions necessary to maintain their quality of life you have them euthanized. It frustrates me when I get the vetrinarians estimate with a list of options including what would be wise and prudent to do along with a ton of other services and lab work that just isn't necessary. I sympathize a little with the vet as they have people who run the gamut in terms of attitudes towards animals and financial resources.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or