Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2009, 06:32 PM

220 posts, read 991,404 times

Advertisements

I need some help formulating a plan of action. I live in Palm Beach, Florida - there is a large pet store in a very busy plaza, next to a giant post office, gym, Bealls and Kmart. The store had never sold dogs, but was recently sold and changed hands, and it appears as if the new owners are a puppy mill using the store as a front to sell dogs.

I went in one day and they had constructed this horrendous table top cage system out of gardening lattice, 6 "cubes" each 2x2x2ft and with atleast 3 puppies in each "cube". They also had a pen of plywood and gardening lattice in their front display window approximately 4ftx2ft, with 2 large breeds - possibly labs. As we were there they were getting a shipment of 3 german shepards in, which were put in the visiting area. The cubes of puppies were filthy, their paper was soaked and soiled. The girl that worked there said they had just gotten the puppies in that week this was their first shipment, and they only buy from local breeders. It seemed like too big of an assortment from local breeders and I decided to give them a few days to get the cage situation figured out since they had just gotten the dogs in that week.

I went back a couple of days later. The display pen in the window - approx 4x2 ft. was completely filthy, and it was loaded with puppies. I counted atleast 15 all different breeds, they were instantly eating each others poop, a clear sign of keeping the den clean in a puppy mill. The man working there walked by said that was normal, "puppies do that". I left, and called animal control; the commercial licensing division. It was after hours so I left a message on the voicemail about the overcrowded conditions, and lack of cleanliness.

I went back a few days later to see if the situation had improved. Apparently animal control had paid them a visit, in addition to their hodgepodge of homemade cages they had makeshift holding areas made with training pens on the floor. There were 2-3 dogs in a cage/pen. Their paper was soaked with pee and it was in puddles on the floor. They had also placed smaller breed dogs in bird cages. In the back of the store where there was a set of cages that looked like bird cages, but were the cages you see online in the puppy mill videos. Inside the puppy mill cages there was one lone puppy by himself on the wire floor. They had atleast 20 different breeds. On the way to the car I told my mom they were obviously all puppy mill dogs, then my mom - the genius, said they were the puppy mill; using the store as a front to sell to the public directly.

We live in Palm Beach, which borders the Everglades where there is a lot of land, there are a lot of breeders - birds/dogs/horses/fish that live there because there's so much land. There was a recent bulldog puppy mill bust in Loxahatchee about 10 mins form here. There was also a place called "Puppy Palace" in Miami, they had 3 locations; and were shut down this spring by the sheriff and animal control. I'm thinking these are breeders from the Everglades/Loxahatchee area.

I'm going by tomorrow to see what the situation is, if there is no improvement who do I escalate this to? Do I keep calling animal control's commerical division? Should I call the local Humane Society? Do I call the news? PETA is about an hour away picketing the Petland in Deerfield Beach, should I contact them?

Old 08-18-2009, 08:23 PM

5,013 posts, read 10,694,159 times
Call the news stations--all of them. I would also call the Humane Society, the Sheriff's office, Peggy Adams, Animal Rescue Force and PETA. I wouldn't rush to judgement re: what area the pups are coming from as you might be wrong and thus inadvertently offend some people.
I know the plaza that you are talking about. I was just there buying dog food at the vet next door and had seen that the store had a new name (used to be Discount Vet?)
It is rather disturbing that this is going on with a veterinary office right next door. Have you thought about speaking with them as well? They rescue cats and [as far as I know] are very conscientious and do a very good job.

Old 08-18-2009, 09:35 PM

4,334 posts, read 13,661,904 times
I just emailed a friend in Hollywood, Fl. She may have some good advice also.
This situation is soooo upsetting, hope they can get the pups and dogs and shut them down! Horrible! Good for you for bringing attention to it!

She read StarlaJanes's reply and said to go along with what she suggests. Good luck and keep us posted!

Last edited by Blondie621; 08-18-2009 at 10:03 PM..

Old 08-19-2009, 05:53 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,549,026 times
The HSUS has a site to advise on how to STOP Puppy Mills, period. Here is a link that gives some good info: What You Can Do (http://stoppuppymills.org/what_you_can_do.html - broken link)

I've considered starting a petition to legislate the activities of animal breeders, under the Animal Welfare Act. From this interest, I've found this site, that advises what to do about inhumane practices, under the FAQ: "What do I do if I notice what seems to be substandard conditions at a pet store?"

Companion Animals : Animal Welfare Information Center

Good luck with your personal struggle on behalf of those puppies.

Old 08-19-2009, 06:01 AM

10,090 posts, read 42,418,125 times
Sounds like you've been given some great advice. Please, keep us posted to the outcome. And THANKS!

Old 08-19-2009, 06:54 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,030,698 times
i second, third and fourth starla's advice..... particularly about calling the news stations..... newspaper too ...... this would make a GREAT human interest story..... puppy millers prefer to be OUT of the spotlight and get uncomfortable when it is shone on them........

also keep up a steady conversation with animal control and the humane society...... bless you for your concern for the welfare of these helpless and defenseless pups........

Old 08-19-2009, 05:11 PM

220 posts, read 991,404 times
Here is the website http://www.mywholepetmarket.com

The store was originally owned by the vet next door for 18 years, he sold it in 2006 when it became Kookaburas and now it's "My Whole Pet". I don't think talking to them will help. The man inside was nonchalant about the poop eating and filthy conditions; they are just a cash crop. They also had a few birds that had completely plucked out most of their feathers in self mutilation, and you can peek in their filthy, unsanitary backrooms.

They gutted the aquarium section; I'm thinking thats going to be the puppy room, and they are being temporarily held in makeshift cages.

I'm going to swing by there tomorrow or Friday, I had already planned to go to Peggy Adams Humane Society on Saturday to drop off some towels and blankets, I'll talk to them when I'm there.

I realistically don't see how they can have that many dogs from local breeders, but I could be wrong. I thought that broached a breeders code of ethics. I've seen online that a lot of puppy mills are going out of business because of the economy, I think they bought the pet store to cut out the middle man and sell direct to the public. But even if by some freak chance they are all from local breeders they should not have to live in squalor.

Unfortunately for them I have the time and inclination to take this wherever it needs to go.

Should I post this on my local board?

Old 08-20-2009, 05:53 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,030,698 times
YES!!!!!

post it EVERYWHERE.... spread the word

and good for you.... tried to rep you again, but i've gotta spread the love before i can do it again

Old 08-20-2009, 06:52 AM

5,013 posts, read 10,694,159 times
Yes, post it on the FL: West Palm Beach board.
I still cannot believe that the vet practice next door is allowing this to continue. I will not be buying food from them anymore.
Did you call the Sheriff's office? I have had *wonderful* experiences with the police officers/sheriff's office in FL. They take all calls--even non-emergency--very seriously and will let you know exactly where the issue stands wrt legality. I believer that they will also try to help as much as possible. Remember that there are many canine units at the sheriff's office and they take their canine officers' contributions very seriously.

Old 08-20-2009, 07:52 AM

1,257 posts, read 4,575,778 times
Greasycheeseburgers and Starlajane,

The head of Palm beach County animal care and control is very serious about her job. I remember that her first name is Diane. I know many breeders who don't want to hear her name. If she is on the case, she will make sure that the store will follow the rule.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs