U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2009, 12:46 PM

357 posts, read 985,100 times

Advertisements

I'd love to visit my family back home in Boston... We don't know anyone out here in Phoenix and would hate to board our dog for 2 weeks. Even if we did know a pet sitter, we'd rather bring our little baby with us..

Also, you may have seen my threads about separation anxiety.. I understand our pup could get on board as cargo.. But I'm pretty sure that'd be an unpleasant experience.. for us both..

I also understand a dog can travel on board in the cabin as a service animal... What do the airlines consider a service animal? I want to fudge it just for 1 round trip flight... My dog is a 20lb Manchester terrier..

I'm wondering what I can do!

Thanks for your help!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2009, 01:05 PM

Mod cut: copyright violation

Hmmmmmm... My dog does help my anxiety!!

3,528 posts, read 5,777,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bench Warmer View Post
I'd love to visit my family back home in Boston... We don't know anyone out here in Phoenix and would hate to board our dog for 2 weeks. Even if we did know a pet sitter, we'd rather bring our little baby with us..

Also, you may have seen my threads about separation anxiety.. I understand our pup could get on board as cargo.. But I'm pretty sure that'd be an unpleasant experience.. for us both..

I also understand a dog can travel on board in the cabin as a service animal... What do the airlines consider a service animal? I want to fudge it just for 1 round trip flight... My dog is a 20lb Manchester terrier..

I'm wondering what I can do!

Thanks for your help!!!
I understand that you'd really like to have your pet in the cabin with you but I strongly suggest that you don't try to falsify medical documentation to do it. Number one - its illegal and will get you into a lot more legal trouble than you realize and Number 2 - its very unfair to those that DO actually have service animals that NEED to fly in the cabin. Its because of people trying to "fudge it" that the restrictions and documentation red tape gets more and more involved. Just so you know - the airlines WILL contact the Dr on the letterhead - they have a special department that deals with medical issues for their passengers and its their job to follow up on all requests. Sorry, but you can leave your dog in a kennel in your home town, drive across country with him, or fly him in cargo. Those are the only valid options you have.

9,775 posts, read 24,213,568 times
You would need documentation and ID for both you and your animal that he is a true bonafide Service dog. If not, anyone and everyone would be trying to fly with their animals. And they do check. Daughter Chris flew with a service dog in training not to long ago....All her credentials and dog were checked thoroughly.
If your dog can fit into a carrier that will fit under a seat in front of you, than you can fly him that way. Under no circumstances would he be allowed out into the cabin while in flight.
All of us would like to say our dogs help with our anxiety.
PS...You do realize "fudging" is illegal, right?

Old 08-19-2009, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyGirl1 View Post
You would need documentation and ID for both you and your animal that he is a true bonafide Service dog. If not, anyone and everyone would be trying to fly with their animals. And they do check. Daughter Chris flew with a service dog in training not to long ago....All her credentials and dog was checked thoroughly.
If your dog can fit into a carrier that will fit under a seat in front of you, than you can fly him that way. Under no circumstances would he be allowed out into the cabin while in flight.

Yeah, I'd throw him in the cargo if he wasn't such a spaz.. His anxiety is terrible... Man oh man, I wish there was another way!

Old 08-19-2009, 01:10 PM

7,081 posts, read 24,610,518 times
It would be FAR kinder to have your dog stay home (in his OWN home) with a dog sitter. Ask at your vet to see if a vet tech would be willing to do this. That way you know that someone who is good with dogs and can recognize a problem will be in residence.

Old 08-19-2009, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viralmd View Post
It would be FAR kinder to have your dog stay home (in his OWN home) with a dog sitter. Ask at your vet to see if a vet tech would be willing to do this. That way you know that someone who is good with dogs and can recognize a problem will be in residence.

see my previous threads about Separation anxiety...

I love my dog, but what a chore has he become.. He can't be left alone for 2 minutes.. He panics.. We've been working with him as much as we can.. Still no results yet.. Maybe it will change soon, but I'm not sure..

Trust me, I'd use that option if that were available!

I'm wondering if going cargo, with the use of anxiety meds is an option.. Would hate to see that backfire on me though!

Old 08-19-2009, 01:44 PM

761 posts, read 2,061,286 times
Drive? There is no way your dog can be in the cargo, and not with you, that is your only choice. Then he can sit on your lap the whole way.

Old 08-19-2009, 01:46 PM

2,031 posts, read 4,336,353 times
Mod cut: copyright violations

Looks like your dog may be right at the weight limit. Each airline is probably a little different. Those soft sided carriers don't weigh much, so if your pooch weighs 18lbs or so you may be able to get away with one of those in the cabin.

Make sure to check to the temperature restrictions if your dog ends up flying cargo. Your window will be limited trying to find a day cool enough in PHX but warm enough in BOS to fly your dog in cargo.

Last edited by Viralmd; 08-19-2009 at 01:59 PM.. Reason: copyright violation

Old 08-19-2009, 01:57 PM

Mod cut: copyright violations

Looks like your dog may be right at the weight limit. Each airline is probably a little different. Those soft sided carriers don't weigh much, so if your pooch weighs 18lbs or so you may be able to get away with one of those in the cabin.[/quote]

He weighs 20 lbs on the money...

and for those of you saying drive.. thats unrealistic.. it takes 3 days minimum to drive from Phoenix to Boston.. it's simply not an option..!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs