Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2008, 10:40 AM

3 posts, read 35,515 times

Advertisements

I AM SITTING HERE WITH A SERIOUS PAIN IN MY GUT
AS MY VET ALREADY KNOWS (AND IS OFF SINCE THURSDAY AND I NEED HIM SO BADLY)...THIS IS MY
THIRD MINI SCHNAUZER WHO TOOK SICK BETWEEN AGES 6-7. AFTER TWO I VOWED NEVER AGAIN BUT
BROUGHT THIS ONE FROM ACROSS THE COUNTRY WITH
DIFFERENT BREEDING...MOSTLY THEY HAD LIVER AND
OTHER PROBLEMS...COSTS SO MUCH IN EMOTIONAL
AND FINANCIAL HEALTH..

MY DEAR ONE NOW IS SLEEPING MOSTYLY WITH
DIAGNOSED RENAL PROBLEMS AND SOME HEART
MURMER PROBLEMS (IF I AM MISPELLING PLEASE
FORGIVE)...SHE IS ON MEDS BUT I WILL STOP THEM
SHE IS HAVING TROUBLE EATING - SOMETHING
WRONG WITH HER MOUTH...I WILL GO ON MONDAY
AND PAY AN EMERGENCY VISIT PRICE...BECAUSE
BEYOND CONSTANT TRAVEL FOR HYDRATION WHICH
WE CAN'T DO FOR MANY REASONS..WE ARE AGING
AND HAVE LIMITED FINANCES..
I CAN'T STAND TO SEE HER SUFFER...AND SHE IS
FAILING...WAS 7 IN MAY...WE'VE HAD HER SINCE
SHE IS 2 1/2...I NEED A HUG SO BADLY...THIS
HURTS SO MUCH AND WE HAVE TO WAIT TO
SEE THE DOCTOR...I CAN BE REACHED AT
DEMOSHISH54@AOL.COM FOR ANYTHING YOU MIGHT
WISH TO SHARE....THANKS FOR ALLOWING ME
TO VENT HERE
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2008, 02:05 PM

4,921 posts, read 7,689,172 times
Susie,

I completely understand how you feel and know what it is to hurt because of a pet. The most important thing is to get veterinarian help as soon as possible. In most places I have lived there is usually a 24-hour emergency service when your vet is off duty.

There is a yahoo group, K9Kidney, and I got lots of helpful advice from that group. Another source of information can be found at
dogaware.com.

I too have a mini schnauzer, Luke, who is fourteen; he was born with a heart murmur and recently developed kidney problems.
Monday I thought I was going to lose him when I took him to my vet. Two days later, after IV’s, sub q fluids, and other meds the vet told me she was concerned because he refused to eat. I got involved with a group at yahoo, K9Kidney, and got a lot of helpful advice. The one thing that helped was they told me that when kidney failure dogs won’t eat anything they might eat what is called “green tripe.” I found this product as a canned dog food and brought it to the animal hospital. Luke began to eat the new dog food, green tripe, and is recovering nicely. Monday I will go to the vet’s for instruction as to giving him sub q fluids. I too am a senior.
Sorry that is all the information I have.

I wish you and your dog the best.

Don

Old 07-05-2008, 05:45 PM

5,715 posts, read 15,044,060 times
I'm so sorry that you're facing this loss.

I just went through something very similar with my dog who was also between 6 and 7 years old. He was much too young to die. I had to make the same decision for him because he also could not eat and hydration was all that could be done...

Actually, I could have kept my baby alive by spending a minimum of $200 a month on drugs for the rest of his life. A drug regimen that would entail pills daily and a shot every 25 days or so - when the symptoms started coming back. Along with that he would not have been able to become excited - because that could also trigger "an episode"... Without these drugs, he could not eat because everything he tried to eat just made him sick.

I came to the conclusion that wasn't much of a life for a dog...

It seems so unfair to lose a best friend so young. My baby wanted to get well for me but his little body wouldn't do it for him. It was a hard decision but I didn't want to watch my baby suffer. He was always such a happy, energetic soul. That was the way I wanted to remember him. That was the life I wanted him to remember.

I send you a big hug... I hope that sharing my story with you helps you to somehow sort everything out. It's very hard to lose someone you love.

I feel your pain.

God bless.

Last edited by World Citizen; 07-05-2008 at 06:29 PM..

Old 07-05-2008, 06:29 PM

3,722 posts, read 4,308,960 times
Here is a massive hug. I know what it is to loose a pet. I'm totally devoted to all my dogs and earlier this year I almost lost darling Jack Russell mix, but she pulled through and is learning to walk again. I was told to put her to sleep and now the vet's can't belive how far she's come...I knew there was a reason why I called her Faith 4 years ago.

Please don't wait for the vet, take her to a 24hr emergency.

Old 07-05-2008, 08:31 PM

1,477 posts, read 7,909,568 times
Ahh, Susie, I'm so sorry for you and for your beloved dog. I can't offer you help or advice. All I have to offer is a virtual hug and prayers for you both. Please keep us updated on how she is doing--and how you are, too.

Old 07-05-2008, 10:08 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,453,643 times
So sorry . How heartbreaking to be going through it again .

Old 07-21-2008, 07:42 PM

3 posts, read 35,515 times
Default Bless all of you who cared enough to respond

When i wrote that thread i had the biggest rock sitting on my heart...
A couple of you suggested i go to emergency
however, knowing what i knew we left messages and my darling vet called on sunday...

We updated him on what was going on and he said come in early monday...he was the only one
i would trust with what had to be done.
His staff was ready for us...he took one look
at my poor dear poochie...checked her gums, took her weight and let me kiss and hug her for the last time...i cannot be present when it
happens...i knew he would be sweet and gentle with her...we waited outside and a couple of minutes later he came outside with tears in his eyes and hugged me and i hugged him...i told poochie she was getting her teeth done before i let him take her away...funny huh..he was always ready to have her teeth done but he wouldn't this summer because of the bloodwork and the kidney and red blood cell readings...

It is now two weeks later and we have her ashes...we donated alot of my dog's stuff to the vet's office including all the unused (and expensive meds)...he did not (yes not) charge us for the emergency visit or the euthanasia!
I couldn't believe all the stuff we had for her
from toys to shampoos and combs and leashes
and coats and sweaters (we live in s. Fl.) and beds in every room. We only paid for the ashes.

She now has joined my other two dogs on my mini shelf and we are finished with dogs..we can't take it anymore either emotionally or financially..had she been at least 11 or 12 it would hav been sad but not so upsetting...

Watch out for purebreds unless you show.
Something is rotten in the breeding world for
us to have had this problem 3 times in a row..our dogs got the best foods, vet care, and whatever was needed...why? We don't know.

Thanks again for caring enough to post...and it helped to unload two weeks ago...now we are doing better and moving on...my cockateil just got his cage cleaned...it was overdue....my last bird lived to 25 and this one is 9...obviously we do better with the avian species...bless you all again.....susie

Old 07-21-2008, 07:47 PM

1,477 posts, read 7,909,568 times
Susie, thanks for the update. What a heartwrenching time of it you've had.
I wish you and your family (including your cockatiel) well.

Old 12-03-2008, 08:37 PM

1 posts, read 13,369 times
Default My little girl Sunshine was too young too...

I had my Sunshine have kidney disease acute for 1 week and her blood pressure was so high that she didn't remember anyone. She was so full of life, and then so sick. I so understand your pain. I want to get another little girl schnauzer, but am so afraid of the loss again. I had to have her euthanized and I didn't know any better so I stayed with her. I don't think I will ever do it again that way. I know I made the right decision, quality of life would be poor, and 1 week of treatment was already $4,000.00 dollars, yes, you read that right. just for IV's and nursing and physicians and meds. I don't think I've ever cried so hard. But I know I did what was best for her. Here's a photo of her favorite place to watch me and the children and make sure nothing got past her (and no one). the one of her on the blue towel was when she first got sick and was hiding her nose because she was feeling bad.
She was the perfect companion, watchdog and I don't know how I'll ever find such a good dog again, but I loved her.
Attached Thumbnails
Losing my 3rd mini schnauzer in a row - too young-dscn3510.jpg   Losing my 3rd mini schnauzer in a row - too young-sunnyonguard.jpg  

Old 12-03-2008, 10:32 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,818,191 times
So sorry for your loss....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs