Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2009, 02:05 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,669,704 times

Advertisements

And my lids are always up! It's the same water that comes out of the faucet. Of course, I clean my toilet bowl. The dogs discovered it on their own and I am really lazy about their water bowl so it means they always have water available. In the current house, no one uses that toilet except guests, so I have to remember to flush it daily or it gets empty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2009, 02:50 PM

4,957 posts, read 10,630,252 times
When did I say that I let my dog drink from the toilet??!! It's not as if I can really do much about it except put the lid down. And did you all not read the part where I got her a large bucket to drink water from so that she wouldn't drink out of the toilet? WTF?!
Not that i have hissied off on... I think it depends on your dog. I have a large dog and she clearly prefers to be closer to her food and water when eating and drinking. But every dog is unique. The key is to pay attention and to give them what they need; they'll alwas tell you.

Old 08-23-2009, 05:22 AM

10,090 posts, read 42,320,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarlaJane View Post
When did I say that I let my dog drink from the toilet??!! It's not as if I can really do much about it except put the lid down. And did you all not read the part where I got her a large bucket to drink water from so that she wouldn't drink out of the toilet? WTF?!
Not that i have hissied off on... I think it depends on your dog. I have a large dog and she clearly prefers to be closer to her food and water when eating and drinking. But every dog is unique. The key is to pay attention and to give them what they need; they'll alwas tell you.

Yesch! Calm down....just asked if you all let your dogs drink out of the toilet! You happened to be one that said your dog drank out of the toilet.Did you not read the part where I asked let? I happen to think it is disgusting, but dogs do alot of disgusting things. Our lids are always down...Don't want the dog in there, don't want the cats in there, and I happen to think it looks better....Dylan has 2 Drinkwell Big Dog waterers....He seems to like the running stream.

Last edited by ShelbyGirl1; 08-23-2009 at 05:43 AM..

Old 08-23-2009, 05:42 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,669,704 times
Whenever a guest puts the lid down, sooner or later I hear a thump, thump, thump - drives me mad so I go open the toilet again!

Old 08-23-2009, 08:35 AM

3,928 posts, read 11,570,798 times
We have a 14-year old lab with worn joints (shoulders, hips, knees). Our vet said elevating his food & water bowls wouldn't hurt him. But to try something cheap first in case he wouldn't eat/drink from elevated dishes. I took an old wooden crate; turned it upside down; and set it on a small rug so it wouldn't slide. Then I covered it with a hand towel for easy clean-up. He's never missed a morsel since.

He also used to drink from the toilet, but I finally got DH trained to put the lid down.

Old 08-24-2009, 05:59 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,513,436 times
My understanding is that the elevated bowls are designed to reduce the strain on a large dogs' necks and shoulders. Apparently, the idea is that in their later years, this strain causes arthritis in those areas (caused by the deterioration of the cartilage between the bones). While there is a danger of any long bodied animals getting their intestines twisted, I've never seen any information that this is caused by lowering their head to eat. It's more often caused by the twisting of the body to rise from a supine or sidelong postion. I've most read this in relation to horses.

Old 08-24-2009, 08:01 AM

5,323 posts, read 18,224,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
My understanding is that the elevated bowls are designed to reduce the strain on a large dogs' necks and shoulders.
This is why I use an elevated feeder/waterer.

For anyone that is concerned about their dog bloating, do look up the signs or better yet discuss with your vet what to look for. Tigafan can tell you that once the signs begin you have minimal time to react.

Old 08-24-2009, 08:59 AM

2,404 posts, read 6,249,139 times
We have 5 galllon water buckets outside, heck maybe even 10 gallon, that get changed daily. Were talking BIG water buckets
Our Rotts lay down when they eat.

Old 08-25-2009, 07:00 AM

178 posts, read 573,114 times
According to the latest research, elevated bowls can increase chance of bloat (they used to think it decreased chance). That being said, we feed our Golden out of a raised bowl because one of our previous dogs (a golden mix) developed neck problems from eating at ground level. We do have a couple of tennis balls in the bowl, however, to slow down his intake and reduce the chance of bloat.

Old 08-25-2009, 08:54 AM

399 posts, read 2,249,716 times
I think the MOST important thing (and interesting research about the elevated bowls, btw, but I think in years that could possibly be questioned again.....it was a small study and it seemed like you could extract what you want out of it...) is that you insist on a CALM and not excited attitude before feeding. NO exercise before meals, NO exercise after meals. It is beneficial to break up feedings into 2 or 3 meals, but I only do one meal, later at night and my dogs are calm and lie around after for an hour, go potty, then go to bed. Getting the 'calm' air was difficult at first, but letting dogs circle and circle and bark and whine and run back and forth to meal spots just increases everybody's spring tension, if you will, about devouring that food and air right along with it.

With each new dog we kind of use one of the victoria stilwell methods....calm voice and someone carrying bowls toward each spot and if I see them move, whine, bark...I give quick 'ahh' verbal correction, bowl carrier retreats calmly again, do it over and over until everyone is waiting patiently and calmly for the signal to eat. Now my dogs lie calmly while food is prepared, walk to spots and wait patiently, no prob.

I actually did have the ability to save my friend's dog once that I was babysitting, only because I had a key to the hospital, a suction machine and tube to pass until the vet got there. I have no doubt she would've died in any other situation because of the short window of time there is to react before they are too critical to save.

Back to the study by Perdue, it seemed the study basically concluded that large dogs get bloat, large dogs eat out of elevated bowls, elevated bowls can potentially contribute to bloat. I'm sure they did study with and without elevation, buuuuut, did each and every one of the dogs tested gobble their food in the same way? Did they have anxiety beforehand about food coming? Did they circle, run, whine, bark before or after? It left me with a lot more questions about the study than it answered. It is hard to do a controlled study like that with dogs, they all have their own behaviors that could be unlike their study counterparts. My doberman eats more slowly in an elevated bowl. On the floor she was eating the hugest bites of food, I don't see how she has incisors left from banging them into the bottom of the bowl. My other two dobes that have passed both ate off of the floor. I think all owners just have to do what they feel is best in their own situation and know the most important contributing factors. If my current dobe hadn't slowed down, I was looking into one of the bowls designed to make her eat more slowly. I suppose I could do rocks, but they won't go in the dishwasher as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs