U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2009, 06:52 AM

232 posts, read 501,529 times

Advertisements

Ugh, I am SO upset. Need advice.

I don't have kids, but I was walking my dog this morning and a guy had his 18 month old in a stroller, and my dog growled at him and barked at him. It was almost the same body posture that she has when she sees a cat. I was horrified.

I hoped it was the stroller, but a few minutes later he came by again and the child was walking (holding his dad's hand) and my dog did it again.

The dad and baby weren't phased but I am beside myself. I've never seen her do that (I adopted her from the shelter last fall). I can't have her be aggressive toward small children. That is the only reason I'd ever give her up. I'm in my early 40s so not going to be pregnant but I still would like to adopt...and now I feel I can't. As you can imagine I'm a little devastated this morning because I'm not someone who would ever want to give up my dog for a child - is there a way to train her out of this?

She loves people so I'm very surprised. But it's like she didn't even recognize the baby was a human...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2009, 07:28 AM

7,079 posts, read 34,459,029 times
Many dogs DO NOT like children. It's not hard to understand: they have loud, high-pitched voices, move quickly and unpredictably and, to a dog, that's scary!

I never let my dogs (even the one with NO teeth) near children unsupervised. Some dogs just don't like children and that's the way it is. They do NOT see them as human but as pretty scary things.

Old 08-22-2009, 08:11 AM

1,928 posts, read 3,191,395 times
When my dog was younger, he didn't like anything on wheels including baby strollers and wheelchairs. I was mortified quite a few times. But he yapped at everything. We used to have to sit outside with him at vet appointments because all he would do is bark. That freaked the already freaked out animals in the waiting room.

He also didn't like kids. He was a rescue so one never knows what happens before we get them. We had a family gathering once and there were children of different ages. He was in the bedroom barking, more I think because he felt left out. I don't know if it was because they were in our home but he was fine with all of them. We of course were watching him like a hawk. And we did ask the kids not to pet him, but once he was comfortable a few of the kids did. I think it helped to they all had dogs and knew how to act around them.

I wouldn't worry too much and give up on children. Maybe he thought he was protecting you. But we never know what goes through their minds. And they are different in the home than outside from my experience.

Also my dog hated cats. But then we got one and they became best friends. I think that is why I think being in the home makes a difference. He loves our cat but boy if he saw one outside he went nuts.

I am sure some good advice will come your way. As I said, don't give up just yet.

Old 08-22-2009, 08:42 AM

1,350 posts, read 3,612,910 times
You have plenty of time to sort this out. Continue getting info and sources of
possible help. A trainer may be needed at some point. There is time on your side.

Old 08-22-2009, 09:54 AM

12,625 posts, read 18,125,141 times
Why do you think it is the child and not the man? Dogs are a good judge of character. So dont stress the child probably has nothing to do with it.

Old 08-22-2009, 10:01 AM

13,781 posts, read 18,685,586 times
my female chihuahua does not like men yet she tolerates my husband and that is okay with my husband . But neither one fo them likes kids and they never have and I am okay with that because my children are grown and my dogs put into crates should ever the grandchildren ever come over . it is that simple and needs to be that simple . Just as someone else said some dogs just dont like kids .

Old 08-22-2009, 11:07 AM

Thanks everyone

She was looking right at the baby when she did it...she never does that to adults. I'm still hoping the stroller was a trigger even though she walked by.

If she just plain doesn't like kids (the shelter said she did) then I have a major problem, but at least not yet. I'm definitely going to call my trainer next week and see if we can fix this somehow...

Old 08-22-2009, 11:28 AM

4,334 posts, read 12,198,588 times
You need to find out what the problem was/is and work with it. Your dog got spooked I say with the stroller! Get your dog out more around different situations but just be cautious. I would not be so urgent in making a decision of giving her up.

Old 08-22-2009, 11:48 AM

47,576 posts, read 60,475,092 times
She may have had a very bad experience with kids in her previous home. Dogs are easily trained and it would be silly to give her up just for growling at a strange kid.

One of my dogs will growl and bark ferociously at kids coming into my home but once she's told to be quiet, she goes to tail wagging and playfulness with them, wanting to lick them and be friends.

Old 08-22-2009, 01:00 PM

Oh no! I'm not thinking of giving her up seriously - but I also can't forgo ever having children because of it. So I need to find a solution within the next year or so...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs