Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2009, 10:41 AM

4,334 posts, read 13,624,238 times

Advertisements

I am just wondering, is it that they really remember or they are just being people happy dogs?
My dogs go crazy for all strange people who come in the house occasionally, especially the cable guys. They greet them as they do me when I leave the house whether for a minute or the afternoon! All tags are wagging and the tongues are ready to give smooches!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2009, 10:42 AM

8,307 posts, read 38,670,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by piperspal View Post
OK - feel free to bust on me!!! I have to leave my dogs behind while I'm gone for at least 2 weeks. It could possibly be as long as a month. They will be in excellent hands and I doubt they will miss me even a 10th as much as I will miss them. Has anyone here had to leave their dogs for an extended period of time? Did your dog remember you with enthusiasm or act like he had to get to know you all over again? They will be getting lots of attention & interaction with other dogs and kennel staff at my vets...lots of outdoor time, etc. I think I am the one with separation anxiety!
The longest break I've ever had from my dog was about 45 days. He knew the sound of my car as I pulled up to take him home and was doing flips in his kennel by the time I was exiting the vehicle.

I don't think that they do forget. While you are gone they eventually accept that you are not there and go about their business, but as soon as you are back in sight you'll be back in mind.

When I was younger I had a dog who seemed to have forgotten who I was when I returned from a 30 day stint at summer camp. When I walked through the door the dog approached, sniffed and wagged her tail but was generally uninterested. About 10 minutes later my identity seemed to "click". She went nuts - running in circles, excited vocalizing, jumping, a little pee on the floor. Reunions are fun.

Old 08-24-2009, 10:56 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,497,635 times
From what I've read about the canine mind, it's believed they have roughly the equivalent to a four year old human. I don't know about anyone else, but at 53 I still recall good and bad times from that time in my life.

Old 08-24-2009, 11:08 AM

17,330 posts, read 32,872,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondie621 View Post
I am just wondering, is it that they really remember or they are just being people happy dogs?
My dogs go crazy for all strange people who come in the house occasionally, especially the cable guys. They greet them as they do me when I leave the house whether for a minute or the afternoon! All tags are wagging and the tongues are ready to give smooches!
Not with Artie, that's for sure! Artie barks and lunges (and, um, nips sometimes) at strangers. So he's definitely NOT a "people happy" dog. Far from it!

However, when it comes to his previous owner (even when a full year passes), my father-in-law (even when a full year passes), and ME (even when 10 seconds passes ), he's a people happy dog. So, yeah, for three people, he's like that.

You're super-lucky to have dog that love all people. I wanted Artie to be like that, but he was abused as a puppy so he's got, um, "issues."

Old 08-24-2009, 11:27 AM

6,987 posts, read 21,844,254 times
A question that reminds me of a recent episode on TV "Dr House" A terminally ill man with Cancer was dying and his dog was allowed to be on the bed with him. Carressing the dog with his hand...he passed away and almost as quickly the dog also died still on the bed. A slight tear jerker to say the least.

Have two dogs of my own...father and son...I know how much they love me based on their actions.

The father will come to lay by my feet when he is not feeling well or rest his head on my leg for a ear rub and just look at me with his eyes trying to speak to me.

The son on the other hand will try to crawl up into my lap if I let him. They are both large dogs... lovable and at the same time very protective of the house and street in front.

Many of the homes in my aresa have been broken into (Baja) while in 13 yrs no one has touched me.

Steve

Old 08-24-2009, 11:29 AM

725 posts, read 3,004,008 times
Last Christmas, I went home to L.A. for about 10 days. I was feeling the exact same way you are feeling now, thinking that my two pups wouldn't remember me (my bf stayed behind and took care of them). Also, I'm the crazy type to ask to be put on speaker phone so I could talk to them, and ask what their reactions were, LOL. Anyhow, when I returned, I waited outside our hall and waited for my bf to get them ready for a "walk"... I just stood around the corner/down the hall and waited for their reactions once they saw me. My youngest pup kinda wasn't sure and took him a minute to realize it was me LOL but they both jumped for joy and were heavily excited.

On a similar note, my bf also went down to Florida for about 5 days recently, while I stayed to take care of the pups. Our oldest pup seemed to "wait" by the door often for him to come home... they were pretty excited when he did come home, though.

On a different note, I used to housesit/petsit for my old boss for many years... they have a long-haired chi (probably 5 or 6 years old by now), and I used to housesit off and on ever since she was 1 or 2... and she still remembers me each time I visit them

Last edited by s0nginmyheart; 08-24-2009 at 11:46 AM..

Old 08-24-2009, 11:40 AM

5,092 posts, read 12,539,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondie621 View Post

Jazz and Dash have a very different greeting for some one they know and like verses some one the are just meeting or someone that they for what ever reason do not like. There are certain vocalizations they will make when greeting a friend .

Another example of how good their memory is: Jazz was afraid of other dogs even when I got her as a 12 week old pup, she was teffified but was fine once she got to know them. Puppy class was torture for her until she got to know the other pups. Once it ended we really did not see the others again but over the years sometimes we would run into one of them on walks and before they even got close enough for a good sniff she would seem to know who they were and get very excited. One pup which was the first one to befriend her we had not seen for 12 yrs and we were out walking and a black dog was approaching and instead of taking her usual hackles up stance Jazz started wagging her tail and wooo roooing and then it became a full blown happy dance by both dogs. I still was uncertain until I started talking to the owner and yes it was her first puppy class friend. It has been very interesting over the years as if a dog I do not know approaches and Jazz is happy instead of aggressive it has always turned out to be a dog she met and was friends with at one time.Some I never knew as they were at doggy daycare with her but when I start talking to the owners I figure it out.

There was a period when Jazz was young after puppy class and going to day care that she was reserved but friendly when meeting a new dog and she played well at a dog park ( as long as all the others played by HER rules as she is a control freak to the max with all that herding dog blood).Then she got attacked by another dog at agility and that sent her back to not wanting strange dogs in her face and this time despite all the attempts she never recovered yet dogs that she knew before this attack were all still considered friends upon sight and got the " wooo rooo" greeting. She has been a very interesting dog to " study" the past 13 years. I think in her case once you are a friend either Human or canine you are a friend for life.

Old 08-24-2009, 11:21 PM

1,094 posts, read 1,116,463 times
Adding to these wonderful stories I have two, about two different dogs. When I was fresh out of college, I took a 4 month trip to Europe, leaving my chihuahua at home with my parents where she had been while I was at school (although I did see her frequently then). When I came in the door after the 4 month absence, she went down on her tummy and slithered towards me whimpering and wagging her tail, so happy to see me. I was in tears. She licked me silly when I picked her up.
Later on, another dog. My mother in law came to visit from England and stayed a month. She loved dogs and my little one adored her. Then she was gone for a good year before she could come back and visit again. As soon as she stepped out of the car, my Chichi went into the greeting shimmy and whine act at the front door. And this was a very cautious around strangers dog. She recognized her voice from the driveway!

Old 08-25-2009, 05:38 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,497,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
Artie ... was abused as a puppy so he's got, um, "issues."
It's off topic, but it might help your dog during its time away from you:

I gather from reading Tamar Geller's "The Loved Dog" that if you can have some success with re-socializing dogs to at least begin to trust strangers, by carrying the dogs' treats with you, and asking friendly strangers to talk nice to your dog, and offer treats (that you've provided). You would want to do this only with dog-oriented people, so maybe those you've met at the doggie day care, park, Petco, etc?

By your demonstrated willingness to engage with the "strangers" in the dog's presence, their "happy" voices, and the treats (offered safely), after repeated instances you could see some improvement. If the dog is more trustful of strangers, then its time away could be happier.

Old 08-25-2009, 06:04 AM

1 posts, read 23,697 times
Default My Dog KAng

Kang is a terrier... I received her as a gift from my aunt. She was 6 months old when she was first separated from my aunt. We live 3 hour drive away from my aunt so she seldom visits. But every time she visits our house Kang never fails to not to recognize her first parents. They have this song that whenever my aunt sings it Kang gets overly excited (she pees) and recognizes my aunt thought she has not seen her for over 2 years!

[url]http://www.squidoo.com/5-ways-to-stop-your-dog-barking[/url]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs