U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2014, 01:42 PM

1,511 posts, read 2,874,995 times

Advertisements

I watched my friends' dog for three weeks, and when they came to pick him up the dog was confused about what to do. He kept going over to them, then back to me, then to them. He did leave with his owner, but it was a little strange for everyone. Whenever we go to their house the dog is always thrilled to see me (he remembers his foster mom!), and he never tries to leave with me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2014, 07:13 AM

1 posts, read 932 times
I have a 12 week old German Shepard there is a place that keeps them to train and it's for two weeks then I return. Will she for get me I only have had her for three weeks what should I do. Do it or Not.

Old 08-01-2014, 07:32 AM

7,330 posts, read 13,170,630 times
She will remember you, but I think training that you and she go to together would be much better, especially if you don't have much experience with dogs. You will both learn a lot, and it will be good for bonding.

Old 08-01-2014, 07:41 AM

7,136 posts, read 10,979,679 times
Your dog will remember you and be thrilled to see you. My daughter had been away working for over a year and when she came home her dog went absolutely crazy. It was one of the most heartwarming things I've ever seen. He was just so happy to see her again and couldn't contain his joy.

Old 08-02-2014, 10:50 PM

11,820 posts, read 15,435,170 times
My male German shorthair pointer was at a friends for 2 months doing some field work. He went ape s*it bananas when he saw me. Spent the a whole weekend with him swimming, exploring a ghost town.. They know.

Old 08-07-2014, 02:32 PM

1 posts, read 852 times
My dog was stolen away for me @11 weeks for 2 years. He was finally found and scanned by animal control. He remembered the family and his name.

Old 08-08-2014, 07:14 AM

1,176 posts, read 2,031,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by piperspal View Post
OK - feel free to bust on me!!! I have to leave my dogs behind while I'm gone for at least 2 weeks. It could possibly be as long as a month. They will be in excellent hands and I doubt they will miss me even a 10th as much as I will miss them. Has anyone here had to leave their dogs for an extended period of time? Did your dog remember you with enthusiasm or act like he had to get to know you all over again? They will be getting lots of attention & interaction with other dogs and kennel staff at my vets...lots of outdoor time, etc. I think I am the one with separation anxiety!
Watch this and have your concerns alleviated...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5BnxV9H_ExA

EDIT: Nevermind... I just noticed that this thread is nine pages long and was started in 2009.

Old 08-10-2014, 02:47 PM

748 posts, read 1,039,993 times
I think they will remember you for ever. I had a litter of pups I fostered, I weaned them from their mom and found them homes. I would on occasion stop by and visit some of the dogs as adults. Having not seen them for years. As soon as they would hear my voice, it was clear they knew who I was. One little female would howl when I would leave.

Old 08-10-2014, 06:09 PM

1,623 posts, read 1,331,365 times
We just picked up my boyfriends Chi after he was deployed in the AF for two years and Clancy remembers him like he never left! He is bonded to him and comes as close to a Chi can come to pulling a person over when he sees him. Two years!!!!

Old 03-12-2015, 08:03 AM

1 posts, read 642 times
I gave my dog ronin away about 4 years ago, I had him since he was a baby. I couldn't keep him because I was moving and the owner didn't want big dogs. I gave him to a family in jolet a young couple now they contacted me they cant keep him because there moving also and the land lord doesn't want big dogs. I always kept in touch with her incase they didn't want him I always wanted him back. I was very depressed when I gave him away. I know he was heart broken when i gave him away. I am getting him back tomorrow will he remember me. will he love me like he us to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or