U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2009, 09:30 PM

2,631 posts, read 4,929,037 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TITAN 777 View Post
Don't call animal control for God's sake like whoever that was said it. Give these people a chance they are just moving in. Good grief.
that's actually what i said. if you would have stopped long enough to read the post, you would have seen that.

however, if the dog continues to get out (as i also said before), then calling animal control is the responsible thing to do. some people might give the owner fair warning beforehand, but that is above and beyond the duty that you have as a responsible neighbor. they should keep the dog locked up in order to prevent these situations in the first place.

Quote:
And if it happens again talk nice and work it out. At least the dog is in the house and NOT CHAINED AND STARVED IN THE BACK YARD !!!!
again, being polite about the danger that they are presenting by allowing a dog to roam unrestricted is above and beyond your responsibility.

if they make a reasonable effort to control the dog, or if they respond well to your initial warning, then great–feel free to continue being nice.

if they don't respond well, or if they just allow the dog to run loose consistently, then the problem needs to be addressed with more aggressive action.

Quote:
I have a pit bull and our yard is fenced and the fence is only 4 feet high. She has never tried to jump over the fence even in her best days. I think people over react to this breed.
what does this have to do with this thread? is anyone here overreacting because of the breed?

Quote:
There ARE OTHER BREEDS JUST AS AGGRESSIVE AND WORSE OUT THERE !!!!! This is exactly why the problems with the poor breed exist. As soon as pit bull is mentioned everyone jumps to the gun and gets nuts. Really pisses me off
that pisses me off too; in fact, it pisses me off enough that i researched the issue and wrote a 16-page argument against breed-specific legislation and the fallacies associated with it. but now we are getting off track.

it also pisses me off when people come into a thread without understanding what is actually being said, and rant and rave about a tangential issue.

no one here is overreacting because of the dog's breed. if you are referring to my post about calling animal control, i mentioned already that this needs to be the course of action regardless of the breed. the only time i even mentioned the breed was when talking about socializing the dogs in a controlled environment.

i don't care if the dog is a rottweiler or a schitzu. if it is running loose in the neighborhood, and the owner is not showing me that he or she honestly cares, that dog is getting picked up by animal control. and if that dog happens to attack me, my family, my dog (a pit bull mix, i might add), or anyone else that i feel some measure of protectiveness over while i am there, then it is a good bet that the animal will be put down, and that the owners will receive one hell of a legal headache.

but go ahead and keep assuming that this is me jumping the gun because it is a pit bull.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2009, 09:50 PM

6,949 posts, read 7,365,690 times
The minute you call Animal Control you may as well consider it a war. No one responds to this well and this guy will avoid you like the plaque. That is the worst way to handle it. IF he continues to leave the dog off leash, then it's a volation of a city ordinance (assuming your city does prohibit off leash, most do) and if it appears he's rubbing your face in it, then you'd have no choice. But, if this guy is reasonable, then he will understand that even though he may feel his dog would not fight, in all likelihood it would if 2 other dogs came toward it in an aggressive manner. Unfortunately, his dog can do a lot more damage.

Old 08-23-2009, 10:05 PM

2,631 posts, read 4,929,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN2CO View Post
The minute you call Animal Control you may as well consider it a war. No one responds to this well and this guy will avoid you like the plaque. That is the worst way to handle it. IF he continues to leave the dog off leash, then it's a volation of a city ordinance (assuming your city does prohibit off leash, most do) and if it appears he's rubbing your face in it, then you'd have no choice. But, if this guy is reasonable, then he will understand that even though he may feel his dog would not fight, in all likelihood it would if 2 other dogs came toward it in an aggressive manner. Unfortunately, his dog can do a lot more damage.
the feelings of the other owner should not even be a consideration if it comes to the safety of yourself or your family, if the owner is not taking responsible steps.

i have already mentioned that if he is being reasonable, then *reason* with him. i don't know why i keep having to repeat this.

but if he is not being reasonable, as many are not, and if he is not taking responsibility for his animal, as many do not, then you need to do something. the best thing that you can do then is to call the authorities and make sure that he knows that this neighborhood will not put up with lax owners.

again though, this is all premature in this specific instance, since we don't know what kind of owner the other guy is. give him a chance or two to prove that he cares. but don't just shrug and take it if he turns out to be an irresponsible owner that puts the rest of the community in danger.

again, this is regardless of breed.

Old 08-23-2009, 10:07 PM

1,350 posts, read 3,613,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
The problem is the owner. Regardless of the breed, the dog should not be off-leash and bothering people/dogs. I would approach that issue without even mentioning the breed. I would also be very aware of when the dog is outside unattended (even in his own backyard) if you fear he is able and possibly inclined to fence jump. You'll really just have to wait and see. In the meantime be very observant of their habits with the dogs so that you can monitor your own appropriately.
This seems reasonable. Perhaps moving in day things got out of their normal routine. You said the dog stayed back which may suggest a dog that is not aggressive. The snarling could have been in response to being in an unfamiliar situation with your dogs acting territorial.

Would your guys have been riled up even if the dog had been just a golden or a hound in the back yard? Then you have the issue.

It is going to take a few days to assess how the dog behaves, how responsible the owners are, and whether or not your pups calm down themselves. I suspect they will. Can they sniff and get acquainted through the fence or is it a privacy fence? Being unable to greet and assess each other may keep things roiling for a while. If it persists the owner and you may have to arrange a mutual training session.

My silly bichon acts the same way if someone is in the next yard but finally let my neighbor water her flowers without the gods of war coming down on her.

Old 08-23-2009, 11:09 PM

6,949 posts, read 7,365,690 times
I have two dogs: 1 is a Wheaten Terrier and the other is part Wheaten, part French Brittany & I think there's something else in there too - she's about 1/2 the size of the wheaten. Neither are the least bit aggressive - but, they react the same way when a stranger, be it human, canine or whatever, comes to the gate/fence etc... That is their JOB. They may not be guard dogs but I expect them to alert me if any stranger is near the gate. I foster dogs -have had 13 different dogs - and never had a fight. But they must be formally introduced - that's saying it's OK for this dog to be here and then all is well. His dogs acted appropriately, in my opinion.

Old 08-24-2009, 02:44 AM

462 posts, read 730,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHoVe View Post
As of yesterday it appears the house next to mine has sold and people are in the process of moving in...working on the house ect. I really thought nothing of it.

Yesterday evening was unseasonably cool so I had planned to play/work with my dogs outside in my back yard HOWEVER these new people apparently have a pit bull and allow him off leash so he/she was at my gate (wrought iron) and my dogs went nuts trying to protect their yard. My dogs were acting agressively towards it...and it in turn was snarling, snapping ect but fortunately it stayed about a 6 inches away from the gate. My dogs are generally really good with other dogs its only when they are in " their" yard that they become defensive (which I think is normal...correct me if I am wrong). The owner did retrieve his dog after several minutes of chaos and put him in the back yard. At this point my dogs were waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay
over stimulated and we had to retreat back into the house where they remained agitated for several hours.

My concern is this...how responsible is this guy??? Yes he removed his dog but why was the dog loose to begin with? I take two of my dogs with me to work basically everyday I do not want to have to worry about them being ambushed on the way to my truck. Years ago I fostered a Pit who was a very sweet dog and unbelievably intelligent...because he was a pit he was never off leash not for ONE second. My other and very real concern is this dog appeared young and fit...he could jump the wall between our yards with no problem and that no doubt would lead to big problems. I have no idea if this gentleman even realizes that...if I had a pit I would not have purchased a house with 5 ft walls but some people don't think of these things.
So I think I need to approach this guy now with my concerns. I don't want to come across as breed biased but the fact is his dog could easily kill one of mine and thus far I am not viewing him as being very responsible which is a bad combination IMHO. Personally I love Pits...admire them greatly, I just would never take on the responsibilty of having one in my home again.

So how would you approach this or do you think I am jumping the gun?

I have not seen the dog outside today.

I just moved into a house last week in honolulu and the neighbor next door breeds chiwahwahs. My pit bull's are scared to death of them. We worked things out and now he warns me when his devil dogs will be patroling the fence so I can save my dogs and put them inside. I'm sure the guys dog is more scared of your dogs then your dogs are of his.

Old 08-24-2009, 05:26 AM

12,054 posts, read 20,204,056 times
Two years ago, our back neighbors (mid-30s) with two young pits moved in. We have a 4-5 foot post and rail fence with wire between the properties. Their dogs were able to go under the fence and always came into our yard to "play" with Simon, who was not a happy boy. I didn't even realize it because I was on a medical leave and and could barely move. One day I looked out our back door and saw 8 legs that shouldn't be there. My husband wasn't very nice about it, but I spoke with the husband and we worked out that they would add another layer of wire and tack down the fence wire. It has worked out well except for the weeds that grow between. I can live with that even if my husband complains.

What's important is that your neighbor, like mine, seems to take his pet ownership seriously and doesn't want any problems. Moving into a new home is overwhelming and I would do everything possible to make it a good situation for both of you. I found that since the fence issue was resolved, Simon loves being in the yard. He just doesn't want any other dog in it.

The attitudes come when people start threatening or calling animal control. The only thing that matters is that your dogs are safe. Good dialog with the neighbor will help tremendously. Good luck.

Old 08-24-2009, 05:42 AM

7,422 posts, read 13,679,641 times
so i'm not clear on one thing - was the dog running around the neighborhood when he came to your gate, or was he running around in your neighbor's enclosed yard?

that's just 2 totally different levels of irresponsibility, although i think at this point you can still handle it the same way regardless.

Old 08-24-2009, 06:23 AM

7,458 posts, read 6,449,202 times
I understand your initial fears, but can also understand how even the most well-intentioned might have their dog get out when in the process of moving. Now that you've had to give the incident some time, I think I would go over (without the dogs), welcome the guy to the neighborhood, and thank him for coming to your help so quickly in that initial trauma to the dogs. Congratulate him on his responsiveness, welcome him again, and suggest it might be a good idea to introduce the dogs to one another, in a safe place away from their respective territories.

Once the dogs are safely introduced away from the areas they will feel protective toward, brief friendly relations between you and he between their mutual territories (with all dogs within view but not near one another) will show them the two of you are amicable. (Dogs will often sense their owners emotions and act for them accordingly.)

After several brief, controlled encounters, as long as things go well, I would expect that both sides would be able to live compatibly.

Old 08-24-2009, 07:48 AM

399 posts, read 1,960,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TITAN 777 View Post
Don't call animal control for God's sake like whoever that was said it. Give these people a chance they are just moving in. Good grief. And if it happens again talk nice and work it out. At least the dog is in the house and NOT CHAINED AND STARVED IN THE BACK YARD !!!! I have a pit bull and our yard is fenced and the fence is only 4 feet high. She has never tried to jump over the fence even in her best days. I think people over react to this breed. There ARE OTHER BREEDS JUST AS AGGRESSIVE AND WORSE OUT THERE !!!!! This is exactly why the problems with the poor breed exist. As soon as pit bull is mentioned everyone jumps to the gun and gets nuts. Really pisses me off

Sorry, I have a doberman and if MY dog were out, I would be more than humble and apologetic and willing to accept punishment for my STUPIDITY or my RESPONSIBILITY of keeping my (potentially 'aggressive') dog contained properly. THIS PISSES ME OFF. My dog...or ANY of my past dobermans are NOT aggressive ---- even to other dogs. BUT, I understand what people might think of them, understand what other dogs might start with them.....and RIGHTLY SO. I expect that someone would call animal control on my stupid ass if I was that ignorant as to make sure that my LARGE dog wasn't in check before I had to leave a door open to move furniture inside. It wouldn't tick me off or start a war, but then again, I don't blame other people for not understanding how wonderful I raise my dogs.

It pisses me off the people in this world that think they are so tough that the laws don't have to apply to them. I am TIRED of picking up other's dog poop off of my lawn, having unneutered dog urine marking my property, watching & warning MY kids that on "X" drive, those people just aren't the type to know how to raise one properly so don't ride your bike down that street (it is a REAL eyesore of a street) and for god's sake, don't pet one of them, or ANY dog you see in the road because I didn't raise the dog and you don't know how it will behave. But, again, the laws don't have to apply to the roaming dog owners, they can let their idiotic, barking, snarling at other's fences dogs roam away, huh? So I have to keep my mouth shut and not call animal control who is there for a reason....to keep dogs safe until the idiotic owners pick the dog up and pay a fine for breaking the LAW, all because the lawbreakers would start thinking it's just because it is a pitbull that someone called?

Why is it that I have always had a 'dangerous' breed and I don't have the same attitude? No dog should be at large, and if it is you should be prepared to pay the piper. Then you learn from your mistakes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or