U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-24-2009, 04:33 AM

42 posts, read 398,604 times
Default Advantix not working

Hello everyone I just have a quick question. We started my dog on Advantix I believe two summers ago and it used to work great. Well this summer I noticed he still has fleas even after giving it to him. I just gave him a full dose on August 10th and now he's itching like crazy again and I see fleas everywhere on him. I didn't think they could become immune to their flea medication but it looks like he has (well the fleas have). Anyone else have this problem....is there any other flea medication you can recommend? Thanks everyone!
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2009, 05:11 AM

7,363 posts, read 7,100,847 times
yes just like our bodies can become immune to certain meds so can fleas to certain flea meds . the flleas become immune to the meds so therefore you have to change around I used to use the advantix as well but now use frontline spray works much better I think and I never see any fleas and I have two chihuahuas . so there you have my opinion . I just dont think advantix works as well as it used too . frontline spray all the way .

Old 08-24-2009, 07:48 AM

42 posts, read 398,604 times
I will try the frontline spray, thank you so much!

Old 08-24-2009, 07:57 AM

399 posts, read 1,067,466 times
It is best to ask your vet or a groomer what is really working in YOUR area. Frontline is the oldest, then Advantage, then Advantix (which is really just a newer formulation on an old product). I live in the coastal SEast. In our area, Advantage never worked, Frontline quit about 7 years ago, Advantix is fading. The newest is Comfortis and it is doing fine. I also realize as a groomer (and prev. vet tech) that there are pockets in my area where certain products still work and others don't. That is why I think it would be good to ask a groomer or vet, as they usually know where people live, if the pets usually have a few fleas and what product people are using. Advantix is still working like a champ for me, but I have some clients that it just wasn't working at all anymore. Comfortis is pretty pricey, though. I hope Frontline works for you (hold your breath!)

Old 10-29-2009, 03:28 PM

1 posts, read 7,104 times
I used Advantix on our 5 year dog from the begining. She is having liver problems high enzyme, she had many test since March of this year. As of today the vet does not know what is causing this. the Vet mentioned that Advantix has a chemical that can causes liver problems. any one experience this problem?

Old 10-30-2009, 08:46 AM

3 posts, read 8,898 times
I tried Comfortis last year, and it worked great, however, I read some scary stuff about it on the internet. The best product I ever found for fleas is Advantage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs