Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-24-2009, 08:49 AM

482 posts, read 2,413,493 times

Advertisements

Has anyone ever tried this to help their dog with pain or anything else? I just read an article on it and was wondering if anyone has tried it, here is the article:

Pet in pain? Try animal acupuncture
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2009, 10:53 AM

1,688 posts, read 8,125,113 times
I haven't personally tried it (I wasn't in an area where it was available), but I do know people who have.

Bar none, they all swear by it. By and large the people I know who used it used it for pain relief for chronic arthritis, dysplaysia, old bone/joint injuries, that type of thing.

I don't know how it's viewed here in the US, but in Europe it's more or less entered the mainstream insofar as veterinary care is concerned.

Old 08-24-2009, 11:40 AM

5,323 posts, read 18,219,702 times
I've had acupuncture done for carpel tunnel and it works

Also a friend's Boxer/Shepherd mix had it done and I witnessed the the fact of it helping his arthritis.

Old 08-24-2009, 12:56 PM

4,627 posts, read 10,447,046 times
Before the serious money crunch, intensive use of acupuncture was used to detox drug addicts here in Oregon (paid for by the State).

I understand that in California, acupuncturists (with a doctorate, of course) are considered primary care physicians. And in Germany, insurance companies will pay for mandatory acupuncture sessions before physical therapy (again, so I'm told). As Five Horses referenced, no wonder it's routine for veterinary care in Europe.

I have had acupuncture. It's wonderful! I'd sooner spend my money on that for initial treatment, than a visit to a western-oriented MD.

I've never used acupuncture for my dog, but I wouldn't hesitate to have it done.

Old 08-24-2009, 03:37 PM

1,280 posts, read 6,967,343 times
I went to a seminar on canine acupuncture a few years ago. The speaker (a DVM) had done a study and got some very positive results.

Old 08-24-2009, 07:59 PM

3,513 posts, read 6,355,606 times
GB here in little old Floyd we have a wonderful traveling vet who does acupuncture and Chinese medicine. She's worked on 3 of my dogs and I have several other friends/members of the Humane Society that also have had her work on their old dogs. Improvements vary among all the dogs but one old black lab was not very mobile at all and after a few sessions he was like a dog half his age. And he has sustained that regained mobility for quite a long time now. I think now he just gets a treatment every other month.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs