Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2009, 09:41 AM

2,521 posts, read 2,347,699 times

Advertisements

So my 1.5 year old Pug (Sergeant Doakes) is a pretty good dog. He's obedient for the most part, but if there's a sock, boxer short, undershirt or any other kind of clothing item on the ground, he'll grab it and run away from me when I try to get it back. I can get him to sit in front of his food until I give him the order to eat, but if I say "leave it" to the laundry pile, he just ignores me. How come? What can I do to ensure he doesn't steal socks?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2009, 09:42 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,802,767 times
He loves the scent of "his" people and wants it to be comforting. It's cute but a bother. Just never leave dirty laundry on the floor or where he can get to it!

Old 08-19-2009, 10:04 AM

1,055 posts, read 4,115,717 times
Also, if you always chase him when he grabs something like that he will continue to do it because he is getting attention. Try swapping it with a toy then praising him when he has the toy or totally ignoring him when he does it. Ignoring might not work because the gratification of the theft might be the object itself... specially if it has been worn and has your scent on it.

Old 08-19-2009, 10:07 AM

3,400 posts, read 8,028,072 times
Good luck dearie. My Rott/Lab mix Jasper is 6 years old, and has raided the laundry room since puppyhood.

Dont ignore it unless you want him to discover its fun to shred things too... X-L
Ive lost work uniforms that way.

Old 08-19-2009, 10:07 AM

557 posts, read 2,610,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
He loves the scent of "his" people and wants it to be comforting. It's cute but a bother. Just never leave dirty laundry on the floor or where he can get to it!
While it's important that a dog learn to be compliant with the "leave it commands, some undesirable behaviors can be avoided just by not presenting the opportunity to the dog--put the laundry in the hamper (one with a lid). My dog wants to get into the trash, for example, so we never leave it in the house when we leave the house and he's inside or overnight. Why set the poor dog up for making a mistake?

Old 08-19-2009, 10:10 AM

3,513 posts, read 6,373,551 times
Clearly your dog is trying to teach you and the rest of your family to be somewhat better housekeepers.

Although he is frustrated by how slow you all are to learn this simple "command" he is very patient and will continue to try and teach each of you until you have it down pat. He has great faith in you because you have learned to play chase and catch me if you can with the clothes, which if great fun for him.

On a more serious note does he have toys that he would be happy to substitute for laundry? Perhaps something soft and "furry" that you can pretend to try and capture from him?

Old 08-19-2009, 11:43 AM

725 posts, read 3,013,600 times
My pup looooooves socks. He'll take them and try and hide them (indoors). Some days he'll wimper because he can't find a good spot. I think it's soo cute, but at the same time, I have very little pairs of white socks left lol.

Thankfully, we managed to teach him "Drop it" early on. So he will drop a sock when given the command. Our trainer also recommended that if you take something away from him, make sure you give back something in return. Exchange the sock/clothing for a favorite toy.

Old 08-19-2009, 11:53 AM

26,142 posts, read 31,174,569 times
dogs are also 'protective' of the pack and have been known to hide the scent and take and stow or hide or chew up anything that has the scent of his/her family on it. Not to be disgusting but this is particularly true of underwear (found in the back yard on many occassion) and. well. the bathroom trash can during a certain time of the month.

One should always remember when it comes to animals stealing things it's the owner that allowed it to be acessible.

Old 08-20-2009, 06:42 AM

1,280 posts, read 6,977,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pug Life View Post
So my 1.5 year old Pug (Sergeant Doakes) is a pretty good dog. He's obedient for the most part, but if there's a sock, boxer short, undershirt or any other kind of clothing item on the ground, he'll grab it and run away from me when I try to get it back. I can get him to sit in front of his food until I give him the order to eat, but if I say "leave it" to the laundry pile, he just ignores me. How come? What can I do to ensure he doesn't steal socks?
Sounds like you've made a super-fun game out of it.
You could either keep the socks out of his reach or try ignoring the sock stealing a few times. He might lose interest in the game if you do.

Old 08-21-2009, 04:23 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,065,882 times
Sounds like my dog. She can be 'starving' and have kibble in her bowl but she will go eat rocks or lint or anything off the floor she can find.

Grabbing laundry, dirty shoes, and so on are her favorite way to get attention.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs