U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2009, 02:34 PM

8,309 posts, read 34,328,409 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thursday007 View Post
I;ll say it again. If my neighbor's dog continuously came into my yard i have every right to remove it. The OP said she had gone through the proper agencies and channels and got no where. If the dog is unlicensed or tagless then there is no legal ramifications on the part of the OP for removing the animal from her property. (Hey, I have 4 dogs and foster rescued dogs so don't get me wrong about my knowledge). There is, however, a law against the owner of that dog not licensing it. One of my own dogs got loose after I took her collar off once and i happened to find it in my back neighbor's backyard fenced in. They didn't come looking for me and they had every right to call the authorities or take that dog and remove it. In the major city I live near if your dog gets hit and killed by a car you get a ticket (not the driver) for not having control of your animal.
Just playing devil's advocate here, but it isn't inconceiveable that the OP could find herself in trouble for something like that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2009, 04:18 PM

4,034 posts, read 8,574,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
Just playing devil's advocate here, but it isn't inconceiveable that the OP could find herself in trouble for something like that.
I was going to say that it is really sorry that we live in a world where Britney Spears loses her kids and this jacka$$ keeps this puppy!
I don't care if I would be breaking the law, I would take the puppy.

Old 08-25-2009, 05:12 PM

3,414 posts, read 5,115,776 times
My advise was based on my knowledge of the Virginia Consolidated Dog Law,

Section 3.2-6551 Notification by individuals finding companion animals; penalty

A. Any individual who finds a companion animal and (i) provides care or safekeeping;or (ii) retains a companion animal in such a manor as to control its activities shall, within 48 hours:

1. Make a reasonable attempt to notify the owner of the companion animal, if the owner can be ascertained by any tag, license, collar, tattoo, or other form of identification or markings, or if the owner of the animal is otherwise known to the individual and:

2. Notify the pound that serves the community where the animal was found and provide to the pound contact information including at least a name and contact telephone number, a description of the animal including information from any tag, license, collar, tattoo or other identification or markings, and the location where the companion animal was found.

B. If an individual finds a companion animal and: (i) provides care or safekeeping; or (ii) retains a companion animal in such a manner as to control its activities, the individual shall comply with the provisions of section 3.2-6503.

C. Any individual who violates this section may be subject to a civil penalty not to exceed $50.00

http://www.animallaw.info/statutes/s...6_89.htm#s6551

The same rules apply to releasing agencies other than a pound or shelter with the exception being that the civil penalty is $250.00 per animal.

So when anyone who finds an animal in my community and calls the Humane Society that I volunteer with and foster for we explain the rules to them so they can stay within the requirements of state law.

Apparently "limbo" has no such regulations and anyone finding a dog can keep, give away or sell such animal with no attempt to find its rightful owner or alternatively surrender it to animal control and disposing of any such animal would be considered to be dealing with a nuisance, per your statement.

You might want to work to improve the laws in your state so that an occasion escapee missing a collar but with a microchip and a concerned owner does not wind up in the hands of a "Class B" dealer (buncher) and sold to a research lab.

Old 08-25-2009, 09:04 PM

3,570 posts, read 5,717,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zugor View Post
Do either you or your sister have a camcorder or even a still digital camera? Try to get pictures the next time you witness this kind of behavior so that you can present evidence to the authorities.

DO NOT TAKE THE DOG
unless there is an immediate, life threatening situation. The last thing you want is for the bad guy to go the cops saying that you stole his property which is what the law in most states would view it as and you would be the one in trouble.

Humane Societies, SPCA's and rescues have no police/animal control powers in most places. If they have a good working relationship with the animal control officers the most they can do is try to persuade them to check things out and talk to the owner about how he is treating the dog.

Generally animal control will not seize the dog unless there is obvious signs of serious neglect or injury. If there seems to be some neglect, ie. too thin, small injuries, covered in ticks they can usually require the owner to get the dog to a vet within 24 hours. If the dog does not have a current rabies vaccination or tags they can make him take care of that.

I hope you're able to help this pup. I wish you could do an emergency neutering of the owner so that he won't breed any more like himself. That's what I always want to do with the idiots.

Video is a great idea...I have known several people who have had issues with neighbors such as this and that is the first thing animal control (here) requests that you do. Ditto if someone is teasing your dog while its on your property.

Old 08-26-2009, 11:12 AM

1,350 posts, read 3,615,502 times
So--find the law in your city/county and act accordingly. Is there a leash law being violated? If no one has witnessed your knowledge of the owner being the neighbor could you remove an unwanted untagged dog from your property? It just disappears and who knows how??

But--if that is not possible--go to a book store and get a book with nice big pictures and easy steps about training a pup basic commands. One that shows reasonable expectations. Make it a gift and pleasantly offer to help and show them some examples. Offer to teach one or two commands to their "beautiful" puppy. Become their mentor.

(Maybe do it in either case because even if they lose this dog they could easily get another to mistreat.)

Old 08-26-2009, 11:41 AM

214 posts, read 603,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cool rob View Post
I think that is quite a stretch, Im not defending this dude, but If I train my dog to sit and fetch, I also will *attempt* to train my wife the same way? Dogs are not humans, they are property. If she touches that dog and removes it from where it belongs (in the neighbors yard) it can be considerd burglary, if it wanders over and you just so happen to pretend as if is a stray, yet you know whom the owner is, that is theft, pure and simple. One of my neighbors has a '76 Lincoln Continental that he keeps sittiing out in the yard, letting the birds use it as a lavatory, should I be allowed to just "take it" since he does not deserve this gem?

Keep calling animal control, and hopefully at some point they will get somebody out there and coerce them into surrendering the dog
Its not a stretch at all......repeatedly punching a puppy in the face is not training, it is abuse. I have attended meetings where domestic violence victims advocates have confirmed the fact that animal abuse and violence against women and children go hand in hand. Advocates working with abused women and children have told me they are reaching out to local vets and humane workers and leaving information about battered womens shelters there.

I have not advised the OP to remove the dog herself, nor have I commented on the level of personal involvement she should take...I merely want to caution her that this man's displays of violence against a puppy are an indicator that he is dangerous, and that she should be wary of him, especially if she is home alone with her children.

Old 08-26-2009, 02:32 PM

8,309 posts, read 34,328,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hepcat View Post
Its not a stretch at all......repeatedly punching a puppy in the face is not training, it is abuse. I have attended meetings where domestic violence victims advocates have confirmed the fact that animal abuse and violence against women and children go hand in hand. Advocates working with abused women and children have told me they are reaching out to local vets and humane workers and leaving information about battered womens shelters there.

I have not advised the OP to remove the dog herself, nor have I commented on the level of personal involvement she should take...I merely want to caution her that this man's displays of violence against a puppy are an indicator that he is dangerous, and that she should be wary of him, especially if she is home alone with her children.
Which brings up another point. One person's repeated punching to the face may look like a series of light slaps to the nose to someone else and it may look like something completely reasonable to another person. Similarly, a heartfelt defense and rescue effort for an abused puppy may look like assault to a fourth person. I'm not defending this guy either, but it is a stretch to make a wild connection between harsh dog training and domestic abuse. We don't know anything about what's going on here beyond an internet forum account from a very upset and angry person.

Old 08-26-2009, 04:06 PM

4,334 posts, read 12,207,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thursday007 View Post
If there are no tags on this dog or it wanders in your property you have every right to hand it over to someone else. You aren't keeping the dog for yourself. You are taking care of a nusiance so to speak.
I agree, snag that poor pup! Problem is A holes like those idiots will just get another puppy! Sometimes it is a no win situation. Animals need more rights and the laws need to be changed.
Too much breeding, not enough spay and neutering. This is the problem to begin with.
Sickening!

Old 08-27-2009, 08:18 AM

753 posts, read 2,218,951 times
Just so you all know, I am not going to walk onto the persons property and take the puppy. That is theft. It is never on a leash, so if I see it out I will call the dog warden and try to get it picked up. If the warden does not catch this puppy, I am going to wait for it to wander on over again and take it. It does not have tags. My car windows are tinted so she will not see it in my car. And I already know someone who wants it if I do have to take it.

It is not possible to see someone with their fist balled up, rasing their balled up fist over their back and hitting a puppy and confusing that with a harmless smack. Especially when after being punched with such force, the puppy's entire body is thrown towards the ground while it yelps as if it is being killed, and the man just picks it up by the collar and punches again, and again, and again.

And for some extra facts, this woman lost custody of her kids due to child abuse. And yes, animal abuse is an indicator of child/spousal abuse. There have even been studies done on it.

I know these people are involved in pitbull fighting, so they are probably just waiting to feed it to the fighting dogs anyway. Last year I had to call the police because there was a group of guys standing in their yard with pitbulls that were trying to get at each other. Of course when they heard the sirens they all dispursed in seperate directions with their dogs.

Unfortunately, I do not live there, but I will do everything I can to make sure they don't get to keep this puppy, or any future puppy.

Old 08-27-2009, 11:51 AM

4,334 posts, read 12,207,225 times
[quote=1phwalls;10477958]Just so you all know, I am not going to walk onto the persons property and take the puppy. That is theft. It is never on a leash, so if I see it out I will call the dog warden and try to get it picked up. If the warden does not catch this puppy, I am going to wait for it to wander on over again and take it. It does not have tags. My car windows are tinted so she will not see it in my car. And I already know someone who wants it if I do have to take it.

You go girl! That is exactly what I would do!
Hope you can get the poor thing! Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or