U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2009, 01:55 PM

16,651 posts, read 26,656,601 times

Advertisements

Blondie621 -- When I was feeding him "crap" (before I knew about the good foods and that he was grain intolerant), I'd put "other stuff" in with his food. Now that he's on good food (TOTW), which he LOVED on its own before, I'm back to supplementing it with other stuff. I just don't want to do that anymore. Not that I don't WANT to, actually, I just know that I shouldn't.

ShelbyGirl1 -- You don't even want to know what I initially thought a chub was. LOL!

Glitch -- So I shouldn't ask him questions that he can't answer either, right? I totally treat him like a human. I know it's silly, though; I just can't help myself.

maciesmom -- Exactly. I don't just jump in with a drastic change. I just add something that I know that he'll tolerate well, and that I know that he loves. It totally backfired on me, though, because he'll pick it out of his kibble and just eat that. GRRRR!

TomSD -- HA! Exactly!!!! (I will, though, look into THAT kind of chub.) LOL!

ShelbyGirl1 -- LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2009, 01:58 PM

TomSD -- I just clicked on the "chub" link. It sounds GREAT... except with Artie's grain intolerance, it's a no-go.

Old 08-27-2009, 02:10 PM

22,795 posts, read 16,211,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
I agree. This is taking pampering to extremes. I do not cater to my dog's tastes. My dogs eat what I buy them.

Also, switching their food, or substantially changing their diet, will cause digestion problems. So, for all those who regularly switch their dog's food to keep them from becoming "bored", you are making your dog's life miserable. They are not human beings, and it is a serious mistake to treat them like human beings. Get a clue people!
I agree. While I did make an effort to find a dry food that agreed with all of their individual needs (sensitive tummy, allergies, etc.), I made sure that 'one food fit all' and that's the food they get. I do change up the wet food, but, I still stick to only a few varieties and, if I don't feel like buying wet food, they get dry and that's it.

Now, that being said, I wonder if the OP's dog is reacting to a change in the TOTW that I noticed when I bought the most recent bag. The kibbles are smaller, and my Sibe was a bit put off by the change the first couple of days.
She's eating it now, good thing, 'cause as I told her - it's that or nuthin.

Old 08-27-2009, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
Now, that being said, I wonder if the OP's dog is reacting to a change in the TOTW that I noticed when I bought the most recent bag. The kibbles are smaller, and my Sibe was a bit put off by the change the first couple of days.
She's eating it now, good thing, 'cause as I told her - it's that or nuthin.
Nope. There's been no change here in the TOTW that we've been getting -- they're the same size. Artie's just spoiled rotten and I'm feeding (no pun intended) into his whim. I've got to be stronger, like all of you are, whether Artie likes it or not. Sigh...

Old 08-27-2009, 02:16 PM

1,055 posts, read 3,592,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
TomSD -- I just clicked on the "chub" link. It sounds GREAT... except with Artie's grain intolerance, it's a no-go.
They now have an LID line... it is for dogs with allergies. Harper is in the same boat as Artie right now in that he has food allergies and I'm working out a new diet for him. Try the potato and duck, Harper loves it...

Dick Van Patten's Natural Balance® L.I.D. Limted Ingredient Diets® Duck & Potato Treat Rolls for Dogs (http://www.naturalbalanceinc.com/dogformulas/DandP_Treatroll.html - broken link)

Ohhh and they suggest grating it... who'd've thunk it *smacks forehead*. That is much easier than the slicing and dicing I've been doing.

Last edited by TomSD; 08-27-2009 at 02:24 PM..

Old 08-27-2009, 02:23 PM

1,257 posts, read 4,054,934 times
Perhaps your dog has enough in his system and his system tells him that it is time not to eat. Let the fat/protein burns out a little. Let his system reset, then he will eat again. Research also shows that periodically not eating can prolong life span. Maybe Artie just wants to live longer!!!

Old 08-27-2009, 02:29 PM

128 posts, read 421,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
I agree. This is taking pampering to extremes. I do not cater to my dog's tastes. My dogs eat what I buy them.

Also, switching their food, or substantially changing their diet, will cause digestion problems. So, for all those who regularly switch their dog's food to keep them from becoming "bored", you are making your dog's life miserable. They are not human beings, and it is a serious mistake to treat them like human beings. Get a clue people!
Actually, several sources, including dogfoodanalysis and the Whole Dog Journal, encourage rotating dog foods. I don't see how doing this equates to anthropomorphism.

And I can guarantee my dog is not miserable. LOL!

If your dog already has a sensitive stomach, changing the diet can led to digestive upset. However, if he/she doesn't, there are benefits to doing this.

Old 08-27-2009, 02:40 PM

TomSD -- AH! I'm definitely going to check to see if they have it at my local pet supplies store. Thanks!

LingLing -- I thought that he was hungry because he picked out the stuff that he loved from his bowl. But perhaps you're right. It's just funny because in this Jewish family -- and Artie is now Jewish by association -- everything revolves around food and eating.

devney -- I tend to agree, simply because any time I'd switched his food, he LOVED it. Then he grew not to love it (aka tired of it).

Old 08-27-2009, 02:42 PM

128 posts, read 421,365 times
Oh! You're a Jewish dog-mom! I TOTALLY get it now! OF COURSE you spoil him with food!

Old 08-27-2009, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by devney View Post
Oh! You're a Jewish dog-mom! I TOTALLY get it now! OF COURSE you spoil him with food!
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Now I wonder how many people are sifting through all my old posts (food, food, food, poop, food, poop, poop, poop, poop, food, food) and wondering if ALL Jews ONLY talk about food and poop. Just to dispel the myth: just food.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or