Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2009, 03:24 PM

718 posts, read 2,078,594 times

Advertisements

No dog will intentionally starve himself. Put the food in the bowl....leave it there for awhile and if he doesn't eat it. Remove it. Try again in the morning/evening. The food will suddenly, once again, taste delicious. First the kids got finicky and now the dogs!!! NOT.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2009, 03:29 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,013,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnKK View Post
No dog will intentionally starve himself. Put the food in the bowl....leave it there for awhile and if he doesn't eat it. Remove it. Try again in the morning/evening. The food will suddenly, once again, taste delicious. First the kids got finicky and now the dogs!!! NOT.
In my head I know that's true. It's my heart that's the problem.

Old 08-27-2009, 03:41 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,442,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
Glitch -- So I shouldn't ask him questions that he can't answer either, right?
Rhetorical questions are okay. I frequently ask Buddy (my two year old mastiff) if he is brain damaged. Naturally, I do not need his reponse to know the answer to that question.

Quote:
I totally treat him like a human. I know it's silly, though; I just can't help myself.
I have the perfect gift for you and your fur baby.

Dog Lovers

Old 08-27-2009, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
Rhetorical questions are okay. I frequently ask Buddy (my two year old mastiff) if he is brain damaged. Naturally, I do not need his reponse to know the answer to that question.

I have the perfect gift for you and your fur baby.

Dog Lovers
LMAO!!!! (And I just asked Artie if he was mad at me because I didn't walk him over to our neighbors to play with his friends.)

And LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!! again. If I should get that gift, only one of us will be drinking wine -- Artie. I never developed a taste for alcohol. Hmmm, I wonder if Artie has. Maybe I should ask him?

Thank you for the giggles, Glitch!

Old 08-27-2009, 04:04 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,442,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by devney View Post
Actually, several sources, including dogfoodanalysis and the Whole Dog Journal, encourage rotating dog foods. I don't see how doing this equates to anthropomorphism.

And I can guarantee my dog is not miserable. LOL!

If your dog already has a sensitive stomach, changing the diet can led to digestive upset. However, if he/she doesn't, there are benefits to doing this.
It equates to anthropomorphism when you actually care whether or not your dog enjoys their food. Continually changing a dog's diet will make your dog more flatulent, require more frequent trips outside with frequent diarrhea or loose stools, and lead to irritable bowel syndrome. That is what I meant by "making your dog miserable."

When it is necessary to change a dog's food, such as going from a poor quality kibble to a good quality kibble, it should be done very gradually over the course of 5 or more days.

P.S. Taste of the Wild is a very good quality kibble, and I am not implying the OP is feeding their dog a poor quality kibble.

Old 08-27-2009, 04:18 PM

4,334 posts, read 13,657,508 times
Quote:
Nope. There's been no change here in the TOTW that we've been getting -- they're the same size. Artie's just spoiled rotten and I'm feeding (no pun intended) into his whim. I've got to be stronger, like all of you are, whether Artie likes it or not. Sigh...
HAHAHAHAHAHAH....in the end Artie will get the better of you! I bet he is eating something different real soon! Like a nice, big, red, juicy, FILET MIGNON with a baked potatoe and sour cream on the side!
Apple pie and a nice big scoop of Hagen Daz ice cream for dessert!

MMMMM....sounds good, well, there goes my diet! OOPs, my dogs just heard me! Looks like I will be cooking for them tomorrow! I have to ask them what they want! HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

You are tooooooooo funny!

Old 08-27-2009, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondie621 View Post
HAHAHAHAHAHAH....in the end Artie will get the better of you! I bet he is eating something different real soon! Like a nice, big, red, juicy, FILET MIGNON with a baked potatoe and sour cream on the side!
Apple pie and a nice big scoop of Hagen Daz ice cream for dessert!

MMMMM....sounds good, well, there goes my diet! OOPs, my dogs just heard me! Looks like I will be cooking for them tomorrow! I have to ask them what they want! HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

You are tooooooooo funny!
You think you know me so well, don't you??? (You do!!! )

You think Artie's the king of the house, don't you? (He is!)

You think we took Artie to a local ice cream place that has doggie servings, and he got his own bowl of vanilla ice cream with five doggie biscuits in it, don't you? (He did! And he loved it!)

I'm about to make some shrimps and scallops for dinner. For my husband and I. I swear, Artie is NOT getting any of it. (He will, however, get the last of the ham bone that I got for him last weekend at the pet store. )

xoxo

Old 08-27-2009, 04:34 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
gravy works for me and salad dressing.
meats scraps too.
whatever is left in the skillet i put on top.
they are like kids they hold out for treats.

Old 08-27-2009, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
gravy works for me and salad dressing.
meats scraps too.
whatever is left in the skillet i put on top.
they are like kids they hold out for treats.
I think I'm already doing well enough (bad enough?) spoiling him with the chicken jerky and cheese in his food. I need to stop even that otherwise he'll never learn. Although Artie WOULD like whatever is left in your skillet, I'm sure.

Old 08-27-2009, 05:17 PM

4,334 posts, read 13,657,508 times
Quote:
I think I'm already doing well enough (bad enough?) spoiling him with the chicken jerky and cheese in his food. I need to stop even that otherwise he'll never learn. Although Artie WOULD like whatever is left in your skillet, I'm sure.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA..... Now ya wanna talk poop?

CHEESE AND CHICKEN JERKEY
? HAHAHAHAHAHA.... My doggies would be pooping from my house to yours on that yummy diet!
Want some four legged company? LOL
OOPS, they heard me. Let me get out the cheese quick! Yes, I do give them cheese too!

Last edited by Blondie621; 08-27-2009 at 06:00 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs